ZST10-700 Firmware

You could just spin up a zwavejs2mqtt docker container and use that to perform the OTW on Linux.

Upgraded a ZST10-700 this way two weeks ago and worked great, just make sure and pass your USB stick to the container.

--device=/dev/serial/by-id/insert_stick_reference_here:/dev/zwave

https://zwave-js.github.io/zwave-js-ui/#/getting-started/docker

Sorry, forgot to mention that Im using Z2M with HA supervised.

Tried it natively uploading through HA, says bootloader failed to start.

There is nothing that requires you to do the update with the stick plugged into your Home Assistant server. Zorin OS appears to be able to run docker. Just shutdown your ZWave add-on, move your stick to your Linux PC, spin up the docker container, do the OTW from the web UI of zwavejs, then move it back to your Home Assistant server and start your add-on back up.

I would recommend doing a NVM backup before any OTW just to be safe which can also easily be done from zwavejs UI.

Your zwavejs docker container won’t know anything about your paired nodes (they will just show node ID and unknown for everything else) and it might try to reinterview everything when it first loads up but it doesn’t matter and you can just ignore it. Just do your NVM backup and your OTW and shut the docker container back down. You can delete the zwavejs docker container on your Linux PC when you are done and everything is confirmed online and working again. (I always save my NVM backups afterwards still just in case, they are small files and it can’t hurt to have them.)

Was looking on GitHub this morning at the option for that, so thanks I’ll definitely give that a whirl.

Now not sure if I should wait for the 7.9.xx release or do this as a trial run first… haha

It’s up to you. 7.19.3 is likely a few weeks out still though.

You can update the firmware manually when it’s stuck in the bootloader, from the command line, directly from HAOS.

Use the community SSH add-on and enable protected mode for the terminal session. Copy the firmware file to your /config directory. Then login via the SSH add-on.

Install npm:

$ apk add --no-cache npm

Run the flash utility:

$ npx -y @zwave-js/flash /dev/ttyUSB0 /config/fw.gbl

Run with verbose option if there are any issues:

$ npx -y @zwave-js/flash /dev/ttyUSB0 /config/fw.gbl --verbose
1 Like

Also, if you are using Z-Wave JS UI (if you are using Z2M you are out of date), you can enable the bootloader in Z-Wave settings and try the upgrade again.

I’d try starting it up normal first (it will by default anyways) then look at the logs and see if it’s actually stuck in bootloader mode or not before enabling that option.

One of my sticks got stuck in bootloader mode last month and OTW did not work at the time but robertsLando fixed the issue. The fix should be in the latest zwavejs UI github and the hass add-on now.
(File upload for OTW update fails on all files · Issue #3023 · zwave-js/zwave-js-ui · GitHub)

Yeah, wrote Z2M… bad habit, Z-Wave JS UI ver. 1.10

Was wondering if flipping the bootloader switch was an option also.

You would use the bootloader option if the driver is stuck in a loop trying to start. Should be evident in the logs (as mentioned).

Yes it should work if you are stuck in bootloader mode but you need to update your zwavejs ui add-on to v1.10.1. That version brings zwave-js/zwave-js-ui to v8.13.1 which has the fix robertsLando did two weeks ago for OTW upload failing in bootloader only mode.

Based on your updated note that you had the failed OTW in zwavejs UI it sounds like you ran into the same issue I did trying to update one of my ZST10-700 sticks last month. The above solved it for me (I just had to do the bootloader only OTW on a separate RPi running the latest docker image because it wasn’t merged into hass add-on yet).

If you see something like this in your logs then you are stuck in bootloader mode and will need to enable bootloader only option to retry OTW:

14:58:17.508 SERIAL « Gecko Bootloader v1.12.01
                      1. upload gbl
                      2. run
                      3. ebl info
                      BL >
14:58:17.511 CNTRLR   [BOOTLOADER] version 1.12.01

This is what is happened just now when trying to an update

2023-04-11T16:19:28.078Z CNTRLR   Performing soft reset...
2023-04-11T16:19:28.090Z CNTRLR   Waiting for the controller to reconnect...
2023-04-11T16:19:29.323Z CNTRLR   reconnected and restarted
2023-04-11T16:19:29.340Z CNTRLR   Entered bootloader
2023-04-11T16:19:29.341Z CNTRLR   Beginning firmware upload
2023-04-11T16:19:29.389Z CNTRLR   OTW update was aborted by the bootloader. file error 0x50
2023-04-11 12:19:29.392 INFO Z-WAVE: Controller 1 firmware update OTW finished with error.
2023-04-11T16:19:29.395Z CNTRLR   Leaving bootloader...```

I would contact Zooz about that. That error is a known issue, but supposed to be fixed in some version of 7.18.

Yeah Zooz would be my next step as well. Their stick is still 7.17.x so that could certainly be the issue.

For what it’s worth, these sticks pretty cheap so if ZWave being down is detrimental to your smart home functioning, I recommend just having a backup on hand and enabling regular NVM backups. For $20-30 it worth it to me having saved me from my ZWave network being down for days or weeks a few times.

I was already on this version, so this is my confusion after seeing the suggestions you and @freshcoast having been giving so far.

I think I’m gonna leave well enough alone for the moment and order another stick real quick…Hell maybe just get the 800 and call it a day an excuse to spend a $100 or more at Smartest House for free shipping.

Thanks for both of your help so far…appreciate it

You said you were on 1.10. 1.10.1 came out six hours ago, so unless you updated this morning you are not on the latest version which contains the OTW fix for bootloader only mode.

The fix you are referring does not solve the device returning a 0x50 error.

That fix was also added to 8.12.0, which is add-on version v1.9.0.

Yeah, the update hit early this morning I went from 1.10 to 1.10.1 after my original post…damn I’m failing on the typing today! I do appreciate your time and help to this point…Thanks!

Haven’t needed anything from Zooz in awhile, so maybe time to update my ZEN30s (500 series) to some ZEN32 (700 series) also.

Ah gotcha. And yeah as the other person noted, if you are getting the 0x50 error, that’s likely something else.

As for replacing your 500 series with 700: I didn’t have Zooz 500 switches (I switched from GE 500 series) but personally I don’t know how much benefit you’ll see out of upgrading 500 > 700 if they work fine now. If anything, personally I’d wait til 800 series switches start coming out before doing a bunch of rip and replace. Just my 2c.

Wife had asked me about the ZEN32, think she likes the idea of the 4 buttons. I only have 3 and the rest of them are ZEN77, so I’ll let her decide what she wants.

0x50 Error yeah that happened, so not sure if I should just go ahead and grab the 800 series stick… have to look into it more.