ZHA devices becoming unresponsive

I mean re-pair. As in everything was no longer recognized by their pretty name. The Zigbee Routers for example all just said “Jasco 43102” which doesnt tell me where they are or what they are attached to so I had to go through the pairing process all over again because some of them showed up in HA but were “unavailable” until I re-paired them

same issue here. ZHA now working in a very intermittent way…sensors become unavailable / unresponsive - then magically come back.
Setup is: HA working in VM on Synology NAS (official installation), with Conbee2 attached to the NAS.
Everything was working properly until I upgraded to 10.6. Version 10 was unusable for ZHA. I downgraded to 9.7 - much better but definitely not as before, as I keep getting the unresponsive issue.

I’m surprised that there’s no noise around this and no fixes… according to what I’ve seen, the commonalities on the issues across different users are:

• HA running in a VM, with Conbee attached
  • presence of an IKEA repeater in the network

Not sure if this can help to find the solution…

Tks
teo

Unfortunately I have made the decision to return to Smartthings for the time being.
I cant be playing ‘IT support’ for my house every time there is an update to HA.

This is by no means is a bash on the HA platform. I still intend to run HA with a ST integration as the HA functionality and community is great. I just think the updates need a little more TLC before being released to the community.

But I’ve never had any issues with Zigbee on ST. The No 1. priority for my smart home is reliability. I don’t want to come back from a two week holiday and find out that every light, TV, thermostat etc has been left on.

I also agree that I’m surprised there isn’t more noise around these issues.

@Tompe same issues, but on a much smaller scale. My setup was a ‘toe in the water’ with Zigbee devices, but right now I would say my HA Zigbee setup is pretty much unusable.

Like you I am not HA bashing, but I am questioning whether or not I continue with HA and ZHA, or look at another approach, perhaps WiFi or esphome based solutions.

I am also astonished this isn’t being discussed more widely, as it sounds like a large number of people appear to have ‘crippled’ setups from this.

2 Likes

For the last several months all entities binary sensors report intermittently and sensors seem to work fine. I have 52 devices with 12-14 mains powered repeaters. I removed all lightify bulbs which seemed to help but still binary sensors take two or 3 times before they will send a signal. Using a Nortek stick with a separate zooz for zwave. Have usb extensions on both of them. RSSI is under in the 70s with most in the 40s and 50s. Seems to be an issue on the software side. Any assistance would help.

I just moved everything from ZHA to Zigbee2MQTT. I was having a bunch of issues with devices falling off the network w/ ZHA. Since the migration a couple of days ago it’s been super smooth with no issue. shrug Looks like I’ll be keeping with zigbee2mqtt

Hi @bgreet could you please let me know how you implemented Zigbee2MQTT? I might need to look at it because ZHA just isn’t working reliably. Thanks, Mark

Ended up using this for the most part as my guide:

1 Like

Hi @bgreet, I followed the instructions and transfered from ZHA to Zigbee2MQTT. Had a few challenges re-pairing a few devices, but got there in the end. If this solves the current ZHA challenges I will be very pleased. Thanks again for the help.

1 Like

Good luck, glad the link helped out! Fingers crossed it helps your situation like it did mine

Only problem I have now, is how to modify my automations that rely upon ZigBee devices.

Interestingly between ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT I found the ‘triggers’ change… for example, my Ikea motion sensor under ZHA the motion sensor was either ‘on’ or ‘off’ which is what I had as the trigger in my automations.

Unfortunately trying to find the ‘triggers’ used in Zigbee2MQTT is proving to be a challenge. I found this under the ‘State’ tab in the Zigbee2MQTT WebUI…

{
    "battery": 87,
    "illuminance_above_threshold": false,
    "linkquality": 15,
    "occupancy": false,
    "update": {
        "state": "idle"
    },
    "update_available": false
}

And so I entered the trigger in my automation as either ‘true’ or ‘false’ but the automation never triggers? Then under developer tools I looked at the state of the motion sensor, and it was advising the state of the motion sensor was ‘off’ which was a bit confusing.

Here’s a screen capture…

MotionSensorTrigger

So, looks like I will be setting my automation to ‘on’ and ‘off’ instead of ‘true’ or ‘false’ but I am not sure if that is going to work?

Edit: As I suspected, ‘on’ and ‘off’ didn’t work… hmmm… and ‘true’ or ‘false’ doesn’t work?

This should work:

trigger:
  - entity_id: binary_sensor.frontdoorsensor_occupancy
    platform: state
    to: 'on'
1 Like

I did a fresh install of HAS a month ago. Experiencing similar issues, mainly with battery powered devices. All my devices are relatively close the the HAS server, with lots of 230v powered devices (repeaters) in the same area. A few times a day, my motion sensors do not report changes. After few minutes it solves automatically and works again. Very annoying! I bought even a more expensive philips hue sensor to make sure the “cheap” sensor weren’t the cause of the problems.

I will now try zigbee2mqtt and see if this works more stable.

I sometimes heard someone say: Don’t fix what ain’t broken

Same here, especially Thermostats are becoming unavailable and the heating mode is reset to a base value (16 °C), which makes the flat pretty cold :frowning:

I just want to say that I have simular issues as mentioned many times above. The upgrade to Home Assistant 2021.12.7 and Core-2021.12.7 made the ZHA verry unstable!! Will try to downgrade but also read about that it did not help fore some people… OR is there a better fix nowadays?

I haven’t gone to 12.7 yet; still at 12.4. I’d be very interested to hear other experiences with 12.7 and ZHA.

Note that most of the posts above were before 12.7 was available. My 12.4 seems pretty stable. Just trying to figure out where the problem originated.

For reference, I’m running HA OS and a HUSBZB-1.

Same identical troubles here… CC2538 Zigbee USB and zigbee2mqtt. Never had issues in the past and now with recent updates system went totally unstable with all dwvices, including zigbee bulbs. Very frustrating… :cry::weary:

Another affected user. At first (a month ago or so) it only happened with one bulb so I though it was the bulb’s fault (since it was a crappy one), but recently it happened to five (my entire living room illumination). In some cases, turning off and on the bulbs manually make it work again, but in some don’t, and I can’t seem to re-pair one of the bulbs.

Same here, after working flawlessly for 6 months my ZHA Zigbee network is now acting up. Three ZHA Zigbee devices have become unresponsive. Nothing seems to work to bring them back.