ZHA devices becoming unresponsive

Ok, I thought I was going nuts for the past month.
I have Conbee 2 with ZHA and especially battery powered devices are just randomly fully unavailable and not responding no matter what I do with them.
I use RPI4 and had no such problems with ZM2 on older releases but recently decided to do everything from scratch using Home Assistant operating System with latest HA and here I am. Tried reload, repair, battery replacement but something is definitely not working well. I even tried to move my RPI4 in the same room where I have one switch to avoid some signal issues but that had no change.

Sigh, I’ll try older release and Z2M.

Update:
Downgrade didn’t go as planned as then some ZHA templates had issues and since I didn’t have any custom it didn’t look like a quick fix.
In the end I went with latest 2022b3 release and Z2M. I also reflashed Conbee 2 firmware and reset gateway so I obviously had to setup everything from scratch.
It survived multiple reboots this time but cannot blame it on ZHA due to many changes I did.
One thing strangely is that there is slight delay with Z2M compared to ZHA, just a bit but noticeable, which is strange given that my switch is now 3 meters from Conbee, on a 2 meter cable to be distant from RPI and I removed all wifi / bluetooth devices from the room to avoid interference.

Anyway, waiting for 2 new SONOFF ZigBEE 3.0 Plus dongles (there was option on amazon to get 2 for price of one!) to use also one as repeater and going to try again ZHA on 2022b3 to see if that works as expected, although Z2M does recognize my devices better so this is last chance I’m going to give to ZHA or my wife might bring divorce papers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here. For the last month or so, Ive been having similar issues. Devices just vanish. I have only two options:

1. unplug the device and leave over night. Sometimes it rejoins.
  2. factory reset and rejoin.

Both are suboptimal.

I have a HubZ Smart Home Controller and some 30 zigbee devices. Using the latest HA with ZHA.

After the latest HomeAssistant OS update my Pi rebooted and all devices were recognized again, not sure if this will last anyway.

I was having the same issue.

I deleted the integration and deleted ZigBee.db from the home assistant config folder. Then started over from scratch.

So far, it’s been holding, but it seems to be having some delays when using a device after a few hours.

I have zha working with a sonoff bridge with tasmota.

I find that I can’t force devices to link road specific router.

Well… That lasted less than 48h… This is frustrating

Tried that from 2022.2.0 down but that is not an option for me. Then not even the ZHA integration is lost but also Z-Wave JS. I refuse to delete and start all over again… and again… and again! Because restoring backups does not always work.
At first I only had Z-Wave and this has always been (hard)rock solid. Did not had ANY issues in the time I used it which is many years, cannot even remember, 5 probably.
Now every 5 days (!) Zigbee draws the attention.
Very much hope there will be a bit less attention to new flashy stuff and a bit effort made in making ZHA, which is a core feature of Home Assistant, as solid as it should be. Maybe ditch the way storage is currently done. There is some very obvious weakness in that sense, pairing sometimes seems to lead to a crippled Zigbee database. I tried to pair 5 same LED controller devices lately. 2 went allright, but during no. 3 it was not in the mood for proper pairing any more and caused not working and sometimes not even deletable devices. Rendering 3 new devices useless and me not being able to finish what I had started.
At some point I will just throw all of it in the bin and buy Z-Wave LED controllers and keep using whatever is working OK with Zigbee. Cannot continue to spend days and days of hassling with ZHA (including Zigbee2MQTT, tried that too a week ago, did not like it either for other stability related reasons).
Sorry for my grumpyness, just too much time went into smoke because of it…

4 Likes

I seem to have a stable set up now.

First I added a USB extension cable between my controller and the computer. This was of limited help. Second I reconfigured my zigbee network to use channel 11 rather than the default 15. Zigbee channel 11 is outside the usual WiFi range.

I used the bellows python tool after shutting down HA.

After painfully rejoining every device the network has become much more stable. The first day I lost three devices, which I rejoined. For the last 4 days it’s been working great. Fingers crossed that this continues.

Note I didnt drop the ZHA integration but just re-joined the devices. HA and ZHA remembered most of the info, eg automations, etc…

Note that not all zigbee channels are supported by every device and some articles suggest using zigbee channel 25 instead of 11.

So I’d say something in my neighbourhood Wifi environment changed. I have a Deco wifi mesh and so cannot control the wifi channel that it uses.

There is hope :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. Same idea entered my mind a little while ago. Ditched the Conbee II (actually returned it) and tried the new Sonoff stick. Moved from ZHA to Zigbee2MQTT againnnnnnn and stayed with it this time. Also tested which Zigbee channel is the quietest in this area and for me this is 16.
Working like a breeze ever since, although development around new devices is slow but my gratitude towards it big.

Regardless, it is very important to follow all best practice tips to avoid all common interference issues:

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pull/18864

Having same issues here, hope home assistant team pay attention to this matter. @frenck

I too keep having random zigbee devices get marked as offline. Leaving them be, pressing a button, or a simple reboot often restores them. Whatever it is, it is super annoying and started when I migrated to the Sonoff USB Zigbee coordinator.

I am having similar issues - devices going offline randomly since a couple of months - I am using HUBZUSB and zha with a long USB cable plus an Ikea and Sonoff Plug as repeaters. I have Sonoff door and motion sensors, xfinity door sensors and some Samsung and BlitzWolf water leak sensors. The motion and door sensors have become increasingly less unreliable. Water sensors seems to be rock solid. Tried long USB cable, delete from zha, re-pair etc - but doesn’t seem to help much.

Symptoms still sounds like EMF interference issues so wondering if you have your Zigbee Coordinator in a USB 3.0 port and if so if can instead try a USB 2.0 port or use it via a powered USB 2.0 hub? Read:

https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/327216.pdf

and

https://github.com/zigpy/zigpy/wiki/General-tips-on-improving-Zigbee-network-range

Unfortunately, my NUC only brings out USB 3.0 on the chassis. If I need to use USB 2.0, I need to connect to internal headers - which I probably won’t do.

2022.7.x issues have undoubtedly gotten worse recently. In my setup, things frequently become unavailable, and lights never shut off (I assume because they had previously become unavailable when instructed to do so). The host (Home Assistant Blue) must be restarted in order to restore responsiveness to the system, which becomes increasingly slower the longer it is left on. I’ve read other posts where people have mentioned experiencing a similar issue with Zwave, so I believe the issue is being caused by something in HA. I don’t know where to begin troubleshooting.

I keep getting NWK conflict and devices keep dropping

Logger: bellows.zigbee.application
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py:831
First occurred: 9:13:24 PM (20 occurrences)
Last logged: 9:20:57 PM

NWK conflict is reported for 0xe170
NWK conflict is reported for 0x69e9
NWK conflict is reported for 0x7bbb
NWK conflict is reported for 0xe7de
NWK conflict is reported for 0x6cb5

Something has changed … I used to have a rock solid setup and now each update comes with more devices dropping offline.

I am not discounting a problem with my network configuration and a possible repeater failure but there was an update earlier this year that started a cascading set of problems that require me to re-pair devices. Even after successfully re-pairing, they don’t report.

Sorry, I don’t have anything qualitative to assist, this is just a gut feeling that ZHA has regressed.

2 Likes

Again, buy and connect Zigbee USB adapter via a powered USB 2.0 hub which connects to USB 3.x

https://github.com/zigpy/zigpy/wiki/Generic-best-practice-tips-on-improving-Zigbee-network-range-and-general-stability

Powered USB 2.0 hub means not using a USB 3.x but a USB 2.0 only hub with external power supply.

1 Like

Hi! Any ideas? This is a very old topic. I have the same situation :frowning:
It was stable for years, but now it crashes several times a day.
No error message, stops at random times.
Sonoff Zigbee BR (EZSP)

You may have to hard reset your Sonoff. This happened to me once when I used EZSP and was caused by the Sonoff BR going haywire. I would start with a backup/hard reset/reinstall Tasmota/restore backup.