Zigbee Connectivity in my house sucks šŸ˜¢

Haha, guys, donā€™t hijack my thread :grin:

I switched the zigbee channel. The aqara motion sensor worked fine for some time, then stoppedā€¦ See screenshot of the lqi below:

i

The channel is set to 25, see another screenshot below:

I think I might setup another Pi from scratch, attach the skyconnect, pair the always-on devices and see what happensā€¦ Maybe some configuration is broken on the original Pi

Does the device work and report in when its triggered?
Some of the devices will sleep after a certain amount of time not triggered.
Dont get too caught up in that chart, youll never get past it.
as long as the device works and reports in when triggered, youre fine.

Well it stopped working the same time. Last time the sensor triggered was 9pm yesterday, and we walked past it quite often after that.

The screenshot is only semi useful this time :see_no_evil:

It says that it reseted 14 hours ago to ā€œno motion detectedā€.thatā€™s 9pm yesterday as of writing this

Quick note that I read all the mentioned guides :hugs:

I did this to and also improved some things but in the end I werenā€™t able to get all my zigbee stuff working reliable despite having a router for battery powered devices at maximum 4 or 5 meters away.

Long story short: Sold all of my zigbee gear and went for esphome wifi devices. After a little on boarding (getting used to esphome) all of my 50 esphome nodes do work since the day installed and perform fantastically. Some esphome devices have a clear advantage over zigbee stuff (no lagging, real time updates) others ā€œjustā€ work rock solid no matter what (also very refreshing after waisting money and to much time with zigbee).

1 Like

Esphomeā€¦ Thatā€™s exclusively self-made, right? Iā€™m not very proficient in soldering and all that flashing devicesā€¦ I did at some point order a esp8ā€¦ Which is no lying around somewhere.

Iā€™m at a point where I would rather spent 30ā‚¬ on a working motion sensor than spending 10 hours to solder and flash stuff :see_no_evil:

All/most zigbee devices show lost connection now, even the mains powered ones:

Motion sensor:

Power socket:

No. I bought most of my stuff (plugs, etc.) with esphome already pre-installed (e.g. from https://athom.tech/esphome). If they also have bluetooth (like esp32 based devices) they can be auto discovered (and provisioned for your wifi) directly in/from HA

Oh boy, whole new world. Enlightening! I have to think about that. Thanks mate!

Not sure if this requires a new thread:

I bought a pre-flashed Sonoff/tasmota zigbee bridge to test things from there.

Iā€™m trying to find a guide on how to set this up, but not finding a good guide. They all explain how to flash it, but bit how to proceed. They all say I should start a server on port 8888, but it fails for me.

Also, Iā€™d like the bridge to act as a standalone coordinator where I can connect my devices to, and HA to request and send info to the bridge instead of the bridge act like an ordinary coordinator. Is that possible? This page here confused me a bit at the end: Home Assistant, Tasmota, and the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge | by werner | Medium

Does anyone know a good guide in this?

Well, then the bridge would be acting like ā€œan ordinary coordinatorā€.

Sadly the ZBBridge is pretty much the second worst option out there. The only way you could have bought worse would have been to buy something based on the CC253x chipsets.

Buy some wired network connected coordinator supported natively by ZHA and youā€™ll have a much better time, and no need for complicated guides on configuring them will be needed.

Tube does some great ones, but thereā€™s others out there too.

PS: This probably should have been a new thread, with a more relevant title, to make it more likely people would see it and help you.

1 Like

Yuk, ok.

I deleted the ZHA integration, removed the zigbee.db, attached the SkyConnect dingle, added the ZHA integration again and started from scratch.

I looked into the config and it has channel 25 auto selected.

I will then add all power outlets tomorrow and go from there.

It wasnā€™t working again with the 7 outlets that I have. After the 5th, all devices are not showing after two days. I started over again and will add 1 after another, leaving 1 day in betweenā€¦ I hate bug fixing

Hey, I live in a home that nothing pass the walls, I had also many problems even with wifi,with the need to put several extenders everywhere to be able to have internet in the house + with the problem that the house is rented and I canā€™t put cables everywhere.

And when I started with Zigbee, of course the same problem + I wanted to monitor the gate (that is around 50mtrs from the house) when is open or closed to be sure that is closed before open the door to let the ā€œbeastsā€ go out (6 dogs, 3 chihuahuas, 1 pekines, and 2 datschunds).

Tried many plugs, put bulbs everywhere, but at the end, who resolved the issue in a perfect way was this extender Aeotec Zesilovač Zigbee signĆ”lu - AEOTEC Range Extender Zi (ZGA001-C15) | MALL.CZ . Also I donā€™t have houses close to me, then the wifi channel problem was never a problem for me, anyway the walls looks like are made to protect you from a nuclear war.

Now whit this, I reach every spot in my house and garden.

Thanks for the hint. Added to amazon cart!

So, I did a lot of further research and ordered several same-brand outlets that I read were good (German Lidl silver crest).

Still, after it was working great for two days, connection between basement and ground floor broke and never came back no matter what I do.

Iā€™ll attach a pic of the last outlet that works (basement) and the nearest one on ground level, which is also the first one on the way that doesnā€™t work:

Iā€™m really lost why this should no work. Itā€™s like 4m, no walls in between, that hip-high wall is ordinary stones. Lots of airā€¦

Is there any way how I could add a second coordinator, located on ground floor, that regulates that floor?

I probably donā€™t know, I can share my experience.
I use zigbee2mqtt. I have several smart outlets and plugs. All of them are with electricity monitoring and those never ever did fall off the network. They are tuya based but no issue. I have also thick walls and large house. The ones that can fall of are some older smart plugs without electricity monitoring.
Maybe try to adjust antenna direction on coordinatorā€¦
It sucks when it doesnt work, I know.

Ugh, I feel so stupid, once more ā€¦

I saw this error message and for the first time did not click it away, but copied it and searched for it:

Failed to send request: Failed to enqueue message after 3 attempts: <EmberStatus.MAX_MESSAGE_LIMIT_REACHED: 114>
EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102

It seems that many people had the same issue before me, but only recently (1-9 months ago):

People are reporting the same error again and again, but no one has a fix.
Broadcast appears to be an issue, but itā€™s disabled in my case.

They are all reporting that itā€™s ZHA + SkyConnect stick. Z2M and Deconz are said to behave normally.
For many of them, reloading ZHA helps for some time.

I donā€™t know what to do either.

Isnā€™t that just the message you get when a Zigbee device is unavailable? I get a bunch of those too sometimes, even though my zigbee network works very well. I do have a light that is Zigbee, but connected to a dumb switch, so when itā€™s powered off it cannot be reached I sort of assume that causes this message. In any case I have no problems with Zigbee connectivity but I do see this message. I have Sonoff E dongle, not Skyconnect
In Z2M, coordinators with the embernet stack are not (fully) supported, so itā€™s not surprising they donā€™t see this message. I donā€™t know about conbee.

I looked into the HA logs and they say:

2024-02-17 20:23:54.959 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [546147140800] Failed to send request: Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/__init__.py", line 64, in wrap_zigpy_exceptions
    yield
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/__init__.py", line 84, in wrapper
    return await RETRYABLE_REQUEST_DECORATOR(func)(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/util.py", line 131, in retry
    return await func()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/quirks/__init__.py", line 199, in command
    return await self.request(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/zcl/__init__.py", line 377, in request
    return await self._endpoint.request(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/endpoint.py", line 253, in request
    return await self.device.request(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/device.py", line 323, in request
    await send_request()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 833, in request
    await self.send_packet(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py", line 931, in send_packet
    raise zigpy.exceptions.DeliveryError(
zigpy.exceptions.DeliveryError: Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 238, in handle_call_service
    response = await hass.services.async_call(
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 2149, in async_call
    response_data = await coro
                    ^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 2186, in _execute_service
    return await target(service_call)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 272, in handle_service
    return await service.entity_service_call(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 882, in entity_service_call
    single_response = await _handle_entity_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 952, in _handle_entity_call
    result = await task
             ^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/switch.py", line 89, in async_turn_on
    await self._on_off_cluster_handler.turn_on()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/general.py", line 373, in turn_on
    result = await self.on()
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/__init__.py", line 83, in wrapper
    with wrap_zigpy_exceptions():
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/contextlib.py", line 155, in __exit__
    self.gen.throw(typ, value, traceback)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/__init__.py", line 75, in wrap_zigpy_exceptions
    raise HomeAssistantError(message) from exc
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Failed to send request: Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>