Zigbee or wifi thermostat for electric floor heating? Non-cloud

I’ve been unsuccessfully searching here and on the internet for a home-assistant compatible thermostat for my electric floor heating. I would appreciate any recommendations or hints. Shipping from Europe would be nice so I avoid paying 65€ + taxes for shipping :slight_smile: , but other suggestions are welcome too - in case people from other continents find this thread.

A thermostat for electric resistance heating is just a switch. Any mains-powered smart switch, rated for the appropriate current, will work. Then use the HA Generic Thermostat:

1 Like

Right, good idea. I still need a temp sensor into the floor, but yeah, that would work. In general I like the idea of separate components. It gives more flexibility.

I never had in-floor heating, so correct me if I’m wrong, but…

Isn’t it the air temperature of the room that you want to measure and adjust for?

Both. Floor heating is much more expensive than heat pump -heat, so I want to keep the floor cooler than the air. I also want to experiment with predictively heating the floor when electricity is cheap, and avoid it when it is expensive.

** Update:**

Currently it is hard to find a satisfactory solution with Zigbee. There are some nice switches, like the sonoff one, but energy consumption requires a separate device - which at least doubles the cost. I didn’t find any temperature monitor with an external sensor.

However there is a good solution using wifi: Shelly 1PM. It has a switch, temperature monitor add-on, and power monitoring. It is really affordable too. Just amazing. I really hope someone makes a similar product using Zigbee. Apparently Shelly stuff works over their servers - not locally, but can be flashed to use tasmota or esphome to work locally.

1 Like

How many Amps would it be when you turn on your floor heating circuit? Anyway just be careful that Shelly 1PM would handle up to 16A, and that’s max so not a good idea for constant 14-16A going through your Shelly 1PM for any long period.

Other than that, good luck and share your project back here when it is done!

I will. Thanks for the words of caution. My current circuit breakers are 16A, but luckily the Shelly includes power monitoring, so I can keep an eye on it.

Hi, did you progress with your setup? I want to do the same and I am thinking about a Shelly with temperature addon, too.
However, it looks like the ESPHome implementation is not upstream. Also, I want to have the logic in the Shelly so that it works even if the wifi is broken for whatever reason (or at least an option to prevent heating stuck).
Also some local control/feedback would be nice (some kind of a “heat now for 20min” button) and an LED indicator that heating is on.

You can do all that with stock Shelly firmware. Thry can operate autonomously, over the cloud, inside LAN, or all of that simultaneously. The esphome custom component doesn’t currently work with current esphome. I’m hoping for it to be fixed so I can test it.

This is not working well?

Thanks much! I have a Shelly 1PM with temperature addon and will give it a try with the stock firmware first. Will follow the ESPHome developments and eventually switch in the future.

1 Like

I am looking to do the same and had the same idea to use some kind of smart switch instead of the really high priced thermostats (the ones with wifi are over $300 and most arent supported by HA). However I am really unclear about the temperature sensor… I’ve never done electric floor heat before but I assume you want to measure the temp of the actual floor? Or the air? If its the floor, does the Shelly temp sensor mentioned work for that application?

Also, if I am doing a small half bathroom, if anyone has experience with this stuff, should I go 120v or 240v? It seems both are an option, I figured 240v made the most sense even if its small, it will heat faster and use less current. However, going with 240v I guess would rule out using Shelly as I dont believe they sell a 240v version. I found t he Mysa but a lot of bad reviews.

I want to get a good understanding because I am having a tile guy do the actual floor install and he is already trying to get me to buy all the expensive stuff he normally uses that gives zero smart home integration. I want to be able to discuss this with him with some knowledge… thanks much.

I use it in my bathroom floor and it works well. I can’t say anything about 240v, as we have 230 here.

Thanks I did more research and it turns out 120v is plenty for me as I am only heating 30sqft, 240v is only needed for large installs.

I am curious if you are using the temperature sensor with the shelly? If so, how do you have it mounted?

Do you have some kind of logic to control the shelly based on the temp sensor?

Thanks

Maybe this? Wall Plug - smart outlet with power metering | FIBARO

Yes I use the temperature addon plus a ds10b20 with a 3m cable inserted into a pipe that goes into the concrete floor. There’s nothing special, the addon has 3 wires and so does the ds18b20. It works well.

I would like to flash esphome onto the 1PM, but the temperature addon doesn’t work on it right now, so I can’t. That would allow me to configure a PID controller right on the device itself, making it independent of home-assistant. The shelly software let’s you configure a simple hysteresis thermostat, but I want a PID.

I control the 1PM’s with the PID-controller custom component of home-assistant.

Can you elaborate on the pipe that goes into the concrete floor? Is that because its concrete and not tile? My floor is going to be tile with the mesh/wire under the tile, would i just directly put the ds10b20 into the mortar? Thanks

Are you still using stock firmware or have you converted it to esphome?