Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

May I know how do you run the z2m? Is with z2m addon?

No. Installed bare-metal on a Pi

Thanks for the reply. I just went through the z2m regarding the z2m bare metal installation.

About the MQTT server, I need to use the MQTT server hosted by my HA RPi, right?

1 Like

Yes, simply point to your existing mqtt server.

so, if we sum up;

• setup z2m in your remote rpi and use coordinator over serial to eliminate possible issues regarding to tcp connection. using z2m as add on in your home assistant vs remote docker is not very difficult
  • setup mqtt broken as add on in your home assistant server and point your z2m to mqtt
  • if you have range problems in the future, you can plug in cc2531 dongle to main rpi and use ZHA integration to create a secondary network :slight_smile:

If I can just chip in, I had lots of troubles with RPIs when attaching more than a couple of USB peripherals. I tried several combinations including expanding my setup with an externa active USB hub. I ended up ditching my RPIs and migrated my setup to an Intel NUC. I think couldn’t be happier with my choice.

Not that my setup is very demanding but I think that RPIs are just way too limited and when you get past some simple configuration, you end up spending too much time tinkering with stability due to their limited performance.

Understood the situation. But Intel NUC is just overkill for my case as I just running HA on it.

BTW, can you please elaborate on what’s the issue you are facing when using USB powered hub?

Some said using USB powered hub will help but I’m concern about the backpower.

Can’t confirm that with 6 Pi’s in the house, ranging from Pi 1 to Pi 4. (But none running HA OS :slight_smile: )

So your HA is hosted with what hardware? Also, have you ever use any USB powered hub with your Pis? Have you ever encounter any backpower issue?

Get a Conbee II, not that much more and very relaible.

All my Pi’s are booting of SD, and running of a 2.5 HDD. Main HA is a supervised install on pi 4B 8Gb, test HA install supervised on pi 1B 512Mb, stand-by HA supervised on intel atom 2Gb

For my pi’s HDD, I use something like this :

But we are getting off-topic, this is not about zigbee2mqtt anymore. Better start a new topic.

Check the thread that I linked in my previous answer. There are a a few commands that will help you discover whether your RPI is throttling and why. Power can be one of the reasons, but there can be other reasons too. In the thread you will see the hardware that I purchased too.

And yes, I had lots of doubts and thought that a NUC was overkill for my use case, but I have 3 kids, hence my time is limited. I got fed up with tinkering with dongles, usb hubs, SD cards, incompatible SSDs, etc., and with a HW that will hit 100% of cpu usage when trying to do something pretty normal in my opinion with MotionEye.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the RPI and maybe I could have stuck with it if somebody knowledgeable had optimized my setup, but that was unfortunately not the case. All in all I think I payed like 300€ but there are cheaper NUCs too…

In this case i recommend you to use LAN Coordinator, no interference at all and can be remotely located.

The coordinator that you suggest need LAN cable and not really flexible. I prefer a remote RPi with USB zigbee stick.

Does someone know what’s the different between these two lights?

They both have modelnumber LED1935C3 but i get the message it’s a unsuported model.

Try pairing with your bulb close to the coordinator. The unsupported might go away.

Tried that again but still: Device ‘0x842e14fffe451168’ with Zigbee model ‘TRADFRIbulbE14WWclear250lm’ and manufacturer name ‘IKEA of Sweden’ is NOT supported.

If i look here:

I see this:

zigbeeModel: ['TRADFRIbulbE14WWclear250lm'],
        model: 'LED1935C3',
        vendor: 'IKEA',
        description: 'TRADFRI LED bulb E14 WW clear 250 lumen, dimmable',
        extend: tradfriExtend.light_onoff_brightness(),

So it looks like it should be supported

Hello everyone! I apologize if this has been covered already (I would expect so actually) but I just did not find the information I’m looking for. I have several xiaomi sensors (door, body and temperature). One of the ones that measure temperature has run out of batteries and I just replaced it. The device won’t come online and I’ve tried to rejoin it by clicking the button while allowing new device join.
I have already replaced batteries on a xiaomi cube switch but I really don’t know what I ended up doing.

Could somebody shed some light on this?

Thanks!!

I would delete it from z2m and then re-join.

Hold it close to a router, set ‘permit join’ to true, press the little button till the blue let start to flash, and then press short but regularly on the button to keep the device awake while joining.