Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

Can you describe your setup in detail? are you seeing this problem only with xiaomi devices or maybe you only have xiaomi devices?

What is the flavor of HA you are running?

So before upgrading my NUC, I was running ubuntu 18.04 LTS with kernel version 4.15.0 generic and HA and z2m are still running on docker.

After upgrading to ubuntu 20.04 with kernel version 5.4.0-88-generic, I am having this issue of z2m not working or lagging with xiaomi devices.

I am thinking of reinstalling everything all over again back to ubuntu 18.04lts with kernel version 4.15.0.

@nickrout @kitus I finally resolved it by installing kernel 5.4.144-0504144-generic. All works well now and back to normal phew!

another question, I am running z2m on a raspberry pi and my MQTT broker (docker) is running on my NUC. Whenever I restart my NUC my z2m stops working i.e. disconnects to the broker and doesn’t connect even if the MQTT broker on my NUC is back up and running.

Is there some settings that I need to do? Do you guys experience this?

Nice to read that you got it finally sorted out :+1:t3:

A buggy driver within some kernel versions. This is what I did suspect and what other users on the referring GitHub issue tracker already told you.

1 Like

Why are you restarting your NUC?

Sometimes I just have to restart when things are hanging up etc

What is hanging up that causes you to restart the whole machine? You aren’t running windows you know.

I assume you are running HA Supervised?

Hi there. I just migrated from ZHA because of constant issues with the latest HA updates.
Got the network up and mesh looks good.

But i kept my automations in Node Red, and i keep gettings errors in the mqtt logs.

Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-12-07 17:51:02: Publish 'set' 'brightness' to 'stue_takvifte3' failed: 'Error: Command 0x0017880102632804/11 genLevelCtrl.moveToLevelWithOnOff({"level":203,"transtime":50}, {"sendWhenActive":false,"timeout":10000,"disableResponse":false,"disableRecovery":false,"disableDefaultResponse":false,"direction":0,"srcEndpoint":null,"reservedBits":0,"manufacturerCode":null,"transactionSequenceNumber":null,"writeUndiv":false}) failed (no response received)'

These happens every time a light turns on, on all the lights - IF they are allready on.
Can someone explain whats happening here?

Im using latest versions of NR and HA and Z2M+mosquitto.
Dongle is Conbee2

Hi all, pulling my hairs on this!

I am running a pi 3b+ with a CC2531 for a while now. It was running pretty smooth actually, the overal response of my zigbee devices was pretty fast and reliable. I even replaced the CC2531 stick once successfully without having to re-pair my devices.

Because of hitting the limit of devices, i wanted to upgrade to a better adapter, so i bought the slaesh CC2652RB. Yesterday i have tried to replace the adapter without having to re-pair all my devices.

I have tried to write the old IEEE address to the CC2652RB adapter with the ZigStar software on windows, but for some reason it did not work. I tried to put the stick in BSL mode by holding down the BL button, put the stick in and press the RST button. After that i could read the current IEEE address, but rewriting it with the old one didnt work.
As mentioned, al also tried to reflash the stick with the ZigStar software and rewriting the IEEE address at the same time. It looked like that the flashing worked, because the progress bar showed the progress of flashing.
I used the latest coordinator software: CC2652RB_coordinator_20210708.hex

After that, the IEEE address was still the old address. Because replacing the CC2531 without repairing worked before, i thought i would try to replace the stick again now without rewriting the IEEE address.

I replaced the stick, at first some errors, but after a few HA restarts and Zigbee2MQTT reboots, i looked like it was starting to work. All devices started working, without repairing.
But at some moments the response time was pretty fast, but that turned pretty quick. For example, i could turn a light off with a quick reponse, but after that it just looked like Z2M hangs for 10-30 seconds before i could switch anything. This did not go better after a full host reboot or unplugging and plugging in the adapter again.
After about an hour, i again tried to restart Z2M, and started to throw me errors and stopped working.

I put my CC2531 stick back in and restored a backup, after that everything is working again, with good responses like before.

Anyone has an idea?

I recently replaced my 2531 with the new sonoff and I did not need to press a single button. Swap and off you go. You sure you need to tamper with additional software?

On zigbee2mqtt.io, the advise is to change the IEEE address to the IEEE address from the old stick. That is why i tried.
It didnt work, but i tried to flash it at the same time, but that seemed to work.

I just wanted to say that Zigbee2MQTT is definitely one of the best integrations and solutions that I have run. Really impressive how well and reliably it runs and how easy it is to work with. Well done!

2 Likes

Get koenkk a coffee!!

I am having a couple of problems I hope someone can point me through…

The first is most (but not all) of my battery-powered devices are being reported as mainline devices. This is messing up availability scans and marking battery devices offline.

The second issue is if I try to enable rtscts Z2M fails to find my adaptor. I had to enable this via the dip switch on the adaptor or my Lutron Aurora dimmers wouldn’t send events. Everything seems to work properly even with it not being configured in Z2M, but I’d rather have it set up correctly.

below is my config, and logs of the rtscts crash

data_path: /config/zigbee2mqtt
external_converters: []
devices: devices.yaml
groups: groups.yaml
homeassistant: true
permit_join: true
mqtt:
  base_topic: zigbee2mqtt
  user:  user
  password: password
  version: 5
serial:
  port: >-
    /dev/serial/by-id/usb-ITead_Sonoff_Zigbee_3.0_USB_Dongle_Plus_3230bcb4d13aec11a7449c957a0af07f-if00-port0
advanced:
  log_level: warn
  pan_id: 6754
  channel: 11
  network_key:
  -network hey 
  availability_blocklist: []
  availability_passlist: []
  rtscts: true
device_options: {}
blocklist: []
passlist: []
queue: {}
frontend:
  port: 8099
experimental: {}
availability: false
socat:
  enabled: false
  master: pty,raw,echo=0,link=/tmp/ttyZ2M,mode=777
  slave: tcp-listen:8485,keepalive,nodelay,reuseaddr,keepidle=1,keepintvl=1,keepcnt=5
  options: '-d -d'
  log: false
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] socat.sh: executing... 
[08:46:40] INFO: Socat not enabled, marking service as down
[cont-init.d] socat.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] zigbee2mqtt.sh: executing... 
[08:46:42] INFO: MQTT available, fetching server detail ...
[08:46:42] INFO: MQTT server settings not configured, trying to auto-discovering ...
[08:46:43] INFO: Configuring 'mqtt://core-mosquitto:1883' mqtt server
[08:46:43] INFO: Previous config file found, checking backup
[08:46:43] INFO: Creating backup config in '/config/zigbee2mqtt/.configuration.yaml.bk'
[08:46:43] INFO: Adjusting Zigbee2mqtt core yaml config with add-on quirks ...
[cont-init.d] zigbee2mqtt.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[08:46:44] INFO: Handing over control to Zigbee2mqtt Core ...
> [email protected] start
> node index.js
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-02-02 08:47:12: Error while starting zigbee-herdsman
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-02-02 08:47:12: Failed to start zigbee
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-02-02 08:47:12: Check https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/guide/installation/20_zigbee2mqtt-fails-to-start.html for possible solutions
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-02-02 08:47:12: Exiting...
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2022-02-02 08:47:12: Error: Failed to connect to the adapter (Error: SRSP - SYS - ping after 6000ms)
    at ZStackAdapter.start (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/z-stack/adapter/zStackAdapter.ts:102:27)
    at Controller.start (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/controller/controller.ts:123:29)
    at Zigbee.start (/app/lib/zigbee.ts:58:27)
    at Controller.start (/app/lib/controller.ts:100:27)
    at start (/app/index.js:101:5)
[08:47:42] INFO: Handing over control to Zigbee2mqtt Core ...
> [email protected] start
> node index.js

Have you found a way to hook up your somfy to zigbee2mqtt?

I have converted over all my zigbee lights to run off of a zigbee coordinator for some time now. Hue bridge is completely shutdown. I am experiencing 2 annoying things.

1. The transition to turn on/off the lights are abrupt. When running with hue bridge it was a smooth on/off motion.

2. The lights will not turn on from previous state. Example. If the lights were turned off at 10% dim. The next day or later when I turn it back on, it seems it is not on, but I can see from HA gui that is it on, but the light itself is not physically on. The only way is to use the slider in gui to turn it to 100%.

When on the hue bridge, I didn’t see any issue with these. I am tempted to revert back to the hue bridge, but kinda burnt out of having to mess with Ha on a daily basis.

OK I am struggling a bit. I have tried to add an Ikea Praktlysing blind to my zigbee2mqtt system and it is showing as unsupported (this goes for the remote, the repeater and the blind. Even though it says it is supported in herdsman I cant figure out how to get it to identify it. I am using Zigbee2MQTT Version 1.32.1-1 and have tried several times and full resets on the Ikea devices and still to no avail.!

According to zigbee-herdsman-converters it is supported but having read through a lot of this forum it appears that the herdsman convertors are already installed with the main zigbee2mqtt but I just am not able to see the files/folders. Am I missing something.

How do I get these ikea products recognised (i.e. shown as supported and exposing items?)

Running on a rasp pi 4
Home Assistant 2023.7.2
Supervisor 2023.07.1
Operating System 10.3
Frontend 20230705.1 - latest

TIA
lcsneil

What model number do you have? And what firmware? What does your log say?

I presume by model number you mean of blind?
It is an Ikea Praktlysing E2102, Type E1746 Tradfri Repeater & Trafri Remote E1766.

Not sure how I find the firmware versions.

Logs when I try to pair the Repeater,

error 2023-07-15 15:45:06: Failed to interview '0xb4e3f9fffe52a4f1', device has not successfully been paired
info  2023-07-15 15:45:06: MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/event', payload '{"data":{"friendly_name":"0xb4e3f9fffe52a4f1","ieee_address":"0xb4e3f9fffe52a4f1","status":"failed"},"type":"device_interview"}'
info  2023-07-15 15:45:06: MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/log', payload '{"message":"interview_failed","meta":{"friendly_name":"0xb4e3f9fffe52a4f1"},"type":"pairing"}'

So does this mean I have bigger issues as it failed the interview and hence didnt pair even though it is showing up online in the devices list but just unsupported?

lcsneil