Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

Here is a battery gauge on Lovelace i tested…

Also here is another way i tested displaying them in Lovelace

Back Zigbee2MQTT… I bought a Xiaomi Smart Plug to use as a Zigbee repeater in my living room as the IKEA Tradfri bulb just will not switch on/off unless its in the same room as my USB sniffer. I got the smart plug today and plugged it into the lounge, it has made now difference to the range for the bulb (which is about 20 cm away from the smart plug). The plug works fine in HA in the other room so signal is good.

Are the IKEA bulbs just really bad for signal strength?

@stratplayer I have seen rumours about bad signal strength on the IKEA stuff, but dont have them myself so cant comment personally. Do you use Lovelace UI as your main UI?

@benhuson1 No I don’t use it as main UI, just because it changes quite a lot. I switch to it, doesnt take a second.
I love it, highly recommend it if you havent tried it yet.

Hi all is there any way to check signal strength throughout the ZigBee network?

Similarly is there any way to see whether a device is connected directly, or through a zigbee router? Like traceroute for zigbee?

Starting the Docker container:

zigbee2mqtt    | Using '/app/data' as data directory
zigbee2mqtt    |
zigbee2mqtt    | > [email protected] start /app
zigbee2mqtt    | > node index.js
zigbee2mqtt    |
zigbee2mqtt    | 2018-8-11 06:35:34 INFO Starting zigbee2mqtt version 0.1.2 (commit #a3d89c0)
zigbee2mqtt    | 2018-8-11 06:35:34 INFO Starting zigbee-shepherd
zigbee2mqtt    | 2018-8-11 06:35:34 INFO Error while starting zigbee-shepherd, attemping to fix... (takes 60 seconds)
zigbee2mqtt    | 2018-8-11 06:36:34 INFO Starting zigbee-shepherd
zigbee2mqtt    | 2018-8-11 06:36:34 ERROR Error while starting zigbee-shepherd!
zigbee2mqtt    | 2018-8-11 06:36:34 ERROR Press the reset button on the stick (the one closest to the USB) and start again
zigbee2mqtt    | 2018-8-11 06:36:34 ERROR Failed to start
zigbee2mqtt    |        {"message":"Error: No such file or directory, cannot open /dev/ttyACM0","stack":"Error: Error: No such file or directory, cannot open /dev/ttyACM0"}

My docker-compose file:

zigbee2mqtt:
    image: koenkk/zigbee2mqtt
    container_name: zigbee2mqtt
    restart: unless-stopped
    devices:
      - /dev/ttyACM1
    volumes:
      - /home/peter/zigbee2mqtt:/app/data

configuration.yaml

# Home Assistant integration (MQTT discovery)
homeassistant: false

# allow new devices to join
permit_join: true

# MQTT settings
mqtt:
  # MQTT base topic for zigbee2mqtt MQTT messages
  base_topic: zigbee2mqtt
  # MQTT server URL
  server: 'mqtt://localhost'
  # MQTT server authentication, uncomment if required:
  # user: user
  # password: pass

# Serial settings
serial:
  # Location of CC2531 USB sniffer
  port: /dev/ttyACM1

Why does it try to ope ACM0 when ACM1 is in the docker-compose file ?

I think because the docker host sees it as /dev/ttyACM0. At least mine does.

My mistake, I had /dev/ttyACM0 in configuration.yaml. I have it up and running now and have paired the first device (Xiaomi Cube).

Well this did the trick for me, tnx!

Can someone point me in the right direction with an automation, im new to this and still learning.
I have a h801 connected to my led strips at my stairs, now i have 2 xiaomi motion sensors, 1 at the upper hall and one downstairs and i would like when 1 of them goes off my stairs lights goes on.
appreciate the help.

Try

I’d be interested in this if the offer is still open.

Yeah, I’d like to buy one ready-made, too.

I’m beginning to think so too after my programmer seems to be on a very slow rowboat from China.

If any of you are in Melbourne Australia, I can upgrade the firmware with my programmer

1 Like

I can assist in Perth, Australia.

I can lend a hand in Adelaide, Australia as well.

I have been using this for a few days now with 3 aqara motion sensors for start, omg it works awesomely! Have the cube waiting in the drawer as well, and just ordered a few temp/hum, a huge thanks for this project! :smiley:

Also I could lend a hand in Stockholm, Sweden. (my programmer took literally 3 months to pass customs and arrive…)

1 Like