Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

About to buy this German zigbee2mqtt USB stick with antenna. Before I do that…

1. Is it good value? Seems to me someone has done the work of flashing the USB stick and soldering an antenna on and I’m effectively paying £15 for that…and then I don’t have a debugger device sat around doing nothing once I’ve used it the once. I also have the benefit of an off-board antenna which I wouldn’t if I didn’t solder one on myself.
  2. Can this be connected to the RaPi running my HASS install? Would be good to avoid running another Pi just for Zigbee2Mqtt… I think it can, just double checking.
  3. I guess I’m making a decision now about whether I’m going to use zigbee hardware or 433mhz RF hardware…any pros ad cons between the two? Am I right to think zigbee is the more error tolerant and has the greater range, both because of the ‘mesh’ it creates? Am I right that zigbee is a protocol with built in checks/ re-transmission similar to TCP/IP? Whereas 433Mhz is more of a shot in the dark? The transmission might get received but there’s no checks that it has…?
  4. There’s nobody in the UK selling pre-flashed CC2531 that the community is aware of…?

Thanks!!

1 Like

You probably have to run the dock twice (Run from start). Try removing the edge version and then rebooting our pi.

I need some help with my new mqtt + zigbee2mqtt setup.

I’ve changed from hass.io to home assistant in running in a docker compose container.
I’m running eclipse-mosquitto:latest and koenkk/zigbee2mqtt in docker compose as well.

My mosquitto.conf is

port 1883
persistence true

My configuration for zigbee2mqtt is

mqtt:
base_topic: zigbee2mqtt
user: zigbee2mqtt
password: blank
server: mqtt://192.168.1.99
birth_message:
topic: ‘zigbee2mqtt/status’
payload: ‘online’
will_message:
topic: ‘zigbee2mqtt/status’
payload: ‘offline’
permit_join: true
serial:
port: /dev/ttyACM0
advanced:
log_level: debug
rtscts: false

my configuration.yaml for home assistant is

mqtt:
  broker: 192.168.1.99
  port: 1883
  client_id: Home-Assistant
  keepalive: 60
  discovery: true
  birth_message:
    topic: 'hass/status'
    payload: 'online'
  will_message:
    topic: 'hass/status'
    payload: 'offline'

My problem is that when I restart home assistant the mqtt discovery sensors are all blank / closed. They only get repopulated if a) the sensor changes value or b) i restart the zigbee2mqtt docker.

How can I fix this? Thanks.

PS: Sorry the code formatting tool is not playing nice today, but rest assured i have the correct yaml spacing.

1. Yes of course you can.

You need homeassistant: true in your zigbee2mqtt config.
Without that it won’t be monitoring the hass birth/status topics so won’t know to resend device data when Hass is rebooted.

I have the same problem as @Kiwijunglist. Im running Hass.io and have to restart the zigbee2mqtt addon (after I restart home assistant) before my sensors will populate. I have homeassistant: true in my zigbee2mqtt config.

i do have home assistant: true, i just forgot to copy + paste that. I’ve adjusted.

Still doesn’t populate on restart of h.a. though without restarting zigbee2mqtt

Wow ,wish I had this for insteon!

Good evening,
I have a problem with a door sensor, everything works fine but every hour when it checks the status of the devices, detecting the status and generates an automation, how can I solve the problem?

Anybody have a mirror for the download links on this one? ti.com seems to be dead and have been for a while apparently…?

You don’t get the software from ti. Read the first post.

Umm, I’ve read it and in the guide it says:

Windows

1. Install SmartRF Flash programmer ( NOT V2 ). This software is free but requires a Texas Instruments account in order to download.
  2. Install the CC debugger driver on your PC (Windows only). Before continuing, verify that the CC Debugger driver has been installed correctly. See Figure 1. Verify Correct Driver Installation @ Chapter 5.1. In case the CC Debugger is not recognized correctly install the driver manually.

So, the download links seem to be broken currently, unless I’ve misunderstood something?

TJ

I just downloaded programmer and driver without any issue. Try again.

Thanks for the confirmation, apparently the TI website is not fond of VPN services. Couldn’t connect until I removed my VPN… Strange but thanks!

1 Like

Ok you didn’t specify what software.

Anyone has an clue why i’m getting this,

This is what i have in my config.yaml

- platform: mqtt
    name: Bridge state
    state_topic: "zigbee2mqtt/bridge/state"
    icon: mdi:router-wireless

Strange this is that when i’m monitoring my MQTT messages i see the online / offline message coming thru. Already tried to restart HassIO but that didn’t work

Try restart your zigbee2mqtt addon, but before that, unplug and replug the dongle from your host and make sure the Hardware section of the Hass.io menu shows your device.

Hi guys. Thanks for the project. Its working awesome.

The only thing i dont get to work is the CC2530 Router. Firmware and everthing worked fine but how do i connect it to HA?

I am on Hassbian with Raspberry 3 b+

EDIT!

I could solve the problem by reflashing the router firmware

Use the CC2531-router-diag-usb.hex firmware.

Did you check the name of the sensor in the states list as shown in
http://<your.home.assistant.ip>:8123/dev-state