Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

@nickrout is right. I overlooked that you will be using zigbee2mqtt and hass.io on the same pi. They will be able to communicate. (Given the MQTT broker is also on that pi)

1 Like

Thanks for your clarification.

Hi,
Sorry if Iā€™m a bit off-topic here.
Will this work with Livolo Zigbee Wall switches? Will I be able to connect them to HA without buying their gateway?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Looks to me that it should, being a zigbee product.

There is a list of supported devices https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/information/supported_devices.html

Search that list.

1 Like

Iā€™m planning on adding some Xiaomi sensors to my network, and Iā€™m mightily confused after browsing this thread.

These will be the first zigbee sensors on my network. I was under the impression that I can just add the zha component in configuration.yaml and then add the devices like I would zwave. Am I mistaken? Do I need to use to use the Xiaomi bridge or Zigbee2mqtt? Iā€™m using a Docker setup and already have MQTT working, and I suppose it would be easy enough to add this Zigbee2mqtt, but for just 2 sensors I donā€™t know if itā€™s worth the effort.

Lol, I just learned that I need a Xiaomi Gateway, which I donā€™t have. Since I have the zigbee USB, is that all I need to use Zigbee2mqtt?

Does this configuration still work for you, assuming you fixed the typo in configuration.yaml?

It depends on what Zigbee USB device you got. Not all work with zha. Iā€™m using zigbee2mqtt myself, and it works just fine.

Are there a list of sticks that work with Zigbee2mqtt? Iā€™m planning on using a HUSBZB-1

Please first read the documentation: https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io. I donā€™t think a HUSBZB-1 will work.

So basically I need a CC2531 stick and all the accouterments to flash it?

This is basically a zigbee radio? Will this also work with the zha component?

The CC2531 will work with Zigbee2mqtt (not with ZHA).

Yes, you will need the Stick and the hardware to flash it (CC Debugger).

Alternatively you can buy a stick that is ready to use.

I have a C2531 running as a coordinator for a few weeks now and itā€™s working perfectly. To increase the range I have gotten the parts and followed the guide on building the CC2530+CC2591 router, however Iā€™m currently facing a problem with flashing it. I have connected the 6 female jumpers between the CC debugger and the module as explained in the guide. But when I plug the debugger into my pc the led on the debugger wonā€™t turn on. After I unplug either the GND or the VCC from the CC2530+CC2591 module the led on the debugger turns red.

I have used the debugger to flash the C2531 successfully so Iā€™m not sure why itā€™s not working.

Module I got:

Debugger I use:

Itā€™s working, restarting the machine changes the name of the device between ACM0 and ACM1. I need to put some udev-rules in place.

Iā€™m trying to get the Xiaomi temperature sensors to sync up with my zigbee USB stick, however I keep getting

zigbee2mqtt:info 4/27/2019, 7:20:09 PM MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/networkmap/graphviz', payload 'digraph G {
node[shape=record];
  "0x00124b0018ed2abd" [style="bold", label="{0x00124b0018ed2abd|Coordinator|No model information available|online}"];

Iā€™ve replaced the battery in both of the sensors, however neither one links up and I canā€™t for the life of me figure out what Iā€™m doing wrong.

When I have troubles pairing devices that I know are compatible this is what works for me.
Stop the Z2M server.
Unplug the dongle for a min. or two, then plug it back. Make sure itā€™s still on the same ACM*.
Then restart the Z2M server. And pair.

This has worked for me everytime. That said I only have Zigbee bulbs and switchs and no Xiaomi devices.

Hope it helps.

Iā€™m having some issues and Iā€™ve lost all morning trying to make it workā€¦ so I need some help on your side.

I have the router plugged in on the Pi, and several Xiaomi sensors connected to it. Mainly temp/humid sensors that are no more than 2 meters away.

I had Aqara movement and water leak sensors further away, but the link quality was very poor and they were always disconnected.

I bought a couple Ikea repeaters to solve the problem for my lower floor. I have paired the first repeater with the Pi CC2351 and it shows up fine (although no signal info, but I think is normal behaviour). I deleted the Aqara sensors and tried to pair them again with the Ikea extender and not the CC2351.

Iā€™m having no luck at all doing it. I believe I only have to press reset button next to the extender, right? (Z2M is in allow mode).

As a side note Iā€™m trying to connect them back to the CC2351 as well with the same result; LED blinks but they do not connect to it no matter what.

How is the correct procedure and why I canā€™t make it work? Do I have to pair the sensors back to the CC2351 or am I right in trying to pair them close to the extender?

Thanks

ā€“

Updated

After reseting the dongle I seem to be able to add devices as before, but they are adding to the main router and not the extender soā€¦ how to work with the extender?

Hi,

I also pair them next to the coordinator (currently you use the terms wrong, if you come from wifi a wifirouter would be a zigbee-coordinator.
Extenders are called routers in zigbee.
After pairing and placing then on there right place they connect to the best ā€œparentā€.

About your range issue you might be interested in a device with a antenna mod.

Ready2use Stick with Antenna

Also see this kind review:

Hi Eduardo,

Iā€™m a bit confused about your configuration. I assume you have a coordinator connected to your Home Assistant Pi and not a router. Correct? Use a USB extender cable for better a range.

I also have a couple of Ikea Zigbee extenders connected to my configuration. If I were you I would first connect both Ikea Zigbee extenders to the coordinator and place them where you want them in your house. Next, I would wait a couple of days so that the Zigbee network can settle.

Eventually, after a couple of days, you could try to disconnect the Xiaomi sensors ( zigbee2mqtt/bridge/config/remove) and add them again near the Ikea Zigbee extenders.

Keep on trying. My Zigbee network is working fine with these components.

Thanks to both. Yes, Iā€™ve used the wrong terms.

As Iā€™ve read in this thread, Xiaomi sensors will not connect to the nearest router, but to the one it was originally paired to. Thatā€™s why I want to connect them to the router.

Iā€™ve moded the CC2351 to add an external antenna, but it seems itā€™s not enough.