Zigbee2Mqtt - Ikea blinds

Afternoon all. Sorry I know this probably isn’t the right forum for this post, but thought someone on here may know the answer.

I am trying to pair my Ikea smart blinds to a Zigbee sniffer. I am reading the guidelines here:

Can anyone confirm if they have done this before as I am a little confused. If I put blinds into pairing mode holding both buttons will it then loose connection to the repeater and button? I dont want this to happen as I dont have the ikea gateway. Once in pairing mode, will it automatically connect to Zigbee sniffer?

Thanks

Don’t know about that button, but when you pair it close to the repeater (first pair the repeater to zigbee2mqtt !!) it establishes a connection through the repeater to zigbee2mqtt.

Thanks for this. i’m even more confused now. The instructions say to pair the blind by holding the two buttons together. Are you saying to pay the repeater, this is also listed on there site.

Sorry if I am being dim, can you clearly list the steps to pair my ikea blinds to MQTT sniffer.

It’s recommend to first pair the included TRADFRI signal repeater in the room where you want to put the blinds. Now press both buttons on the blind (next to battery lid) for 5 seconds until a white light between both buttons is turned on. The device is now awake and ready to pair for 2 minutes. After that pair the blind by holding the blind battery lid very close to the TRADFRI signal repeater until the white light is turned off (this should mean the pairing is successful).

These are the instructions i’ve already read. But it doesn’t make sense to me. My TRADFRI signal repeater is already paired.

Why does it say this “After that pair the blind by holding the blind battery lid very close to the TRADFRI signal repeater until the white light is turned off (this should mean the pairing is successful).”

Is this implying have to pair he signal repeater again after pairing to zigbee sniffer?

First you pair the repeater to zigbee2mqtt. You say that is done already.
Now press both buttons on the blind (next to battery lid) for 5 seconds until a white light between both buttons is turned on. hold the blind battery lid very close to the signal repeater until the white light is turned off

What is confusing about that ?

Hi Francis

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. What I meant was my repeater is already paired to my blinds. They came like this out the box.

Does this mean I just need to follow the steps on this page?

I think the confusing part is there are instructions for pairing the blinds and another page with instructions for the repeater but they don’t reference each other.

I don’t have the IKEA gateway so worried if I reset anything I wouldn’t be able to repair anything.

Don’t follow the instructions in the ikea booklet, they are for the ikea gateway.

Put zigbee2mqtt in pairing mode

Push the reset button of the ikea repeater with a paperclip for 5 seconds. While pairing the LED is flashing/dimming slowly. Once the pairing is finished, the LED stays on.

Now press both buttons on the blind (next to battery lid) for 5 seconds until a white light between both buttons is turned on. hold the blind battery lid very close to the signal repeater until the white light is turned off

1 Like

Thanks for your help.

I think I understand now. I will give it a go.

As the signal repeater isn’t battery powered, do I need to dismantle the curtain from its brackets in order to move it close to the repeater (which is stuck in an outlet)?

Just put the signal repeater on an extension cord. And they’re not kidding about holding it directly on the battery door.

FWIW, I paired the repeater independently via the standard Z2M way to the coordinator. I.e. it’s not “bind” directly to the blind (if that’s a thing for a repeater to do), but it’s simply a separate Z2M device.

I paired three IKEA blinds to zigbee2mqtt with no issues. Got a fourth one. Got it paired once. Worked but i took battery out to charge. And put it back in and the blind just kept going up down down up …it was weird. Maybe I took battery out during firmware update.

Cause I then reset it and paired it but z2mqtt wouldn’t set it up. Says unsupported.

Even set it up next to the IKEA repeater after connecting that. Very odd

I just setup blinds directly by pushing the two Ikea blinds for 5 seconds until they started blinking.
There was a TRADFRI Signal Repeater a couple of meters away.

When I read “Push the reset button of the ikea repeater with a paperclip for 5 seconds. While pairing the LED is flashing/dimming slowly. Once the pairing is finished, the LED stays on” then that kind of instructions make no sense to me. What is the purpose of it.

If the purpose of the repeater is to have one close by then that’s a better way to describe it.

To pair Ikea blinds to zigbee2mqtt.

Start pairing in zigbee2mqtt GUI by pressing “permit join (All)” , then
press both buttons on the blind (next to battery lid) for 5 seconds or until a white light between both buttons is turned on.
If it doesn’t connect with your HA system, move a repeater(TRADFRI Signal Repeater has been recommended in forum) close to the blind battery lid until the white light is turned off.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip @Mntfjeld. This did the trick for me. I was having the same doubt. Probably they mean it in case you just want to pair your blinds and you don´t have any powered zigbee device near by.

Has anybody had their blinds just be completely unresponsive? I have one of my four that I bought. I just can’t seem to get it going. It stopped working completely even on full battery. Other than holding down the two buttons to reset, I’m not sure what else to do.

A decent answer :smiley: !
I will try this.
As I did, I paired each blind to z2m. The down side of this is that I can’t group them, for sure not with a button…

same problem here. I have not use the repeater, I will try with them to see if I could make them work

I have used several different scenes to drive up etc, it works really well.

I want them as a zigbee group and a Button in Thatcher group. Sp IF the HA is Downey i can still control them.