Zigbee2MQTT with Sky Connect Multiprotocol Help

Having spent two days trying to make this work I am hoping someone can please help. The MQTT log shows the error as:

info 2024-02-24 18:49:49: Logging to console and directory: ‘/config/zigbee2mqtt/log/2024-02-24.18-49-49’ filename: log.txt
info 2024-02-24 18:49:49: Starting Zigbee2MQTT version 1.35.3 (commit #unknown)
info 2024-02-24 18:49:49: Starting zigbee-herdsman (0.33.8)
error 2024-02-24 18:50:03: Error while starting zigbee-herdsman
error 2024-02-24 18:50:03: Failed to start zigbee
error 2024-02-24 18:50:03: Check Zigbee2MQTT fails to start | Zigbee2MQTT for possible solutions
error 2024-02-24 18:50:03: Exiting…
error 2024-02-24 18:50:03: Error: Failure send version:{“type”:“Buffer”,“data”:[1,0,1,0,0,12]}
at /app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/ezsp/driver/ezsp.ts:646:23
at Queue.execute (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/utils/queue.ts:35:20)
at Ezsp.version (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/ezsp/driver/ezsp.ts:456:13)
at Driver.startup (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/ezsp/driver/driver.ts:167:9)
at Controller.start (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/controller/controller.ts:132:29)
at Zigbee.start (/app/lib/zigbee.ts:60:27)
at Controller.start (/app/lib/controller.ts:109:27)
at start (/app/index.js:107:5)

Regarding config, I have a SkyConnect with the following firmware installed…

Screenshot 2024-02-24 181840

I have Silicon Labs Multiprotocol installed, version 2.4.2 as I understand the latest versions broke Z2M support. SkyConnect device selected in config, all other settings stock.

I have deleted Zigbee Home Assistant (ZHA) and set it to ignore.

Mosquito broker installed, fully stock settings.

Zigbee2MQTT settings are (username and password settings match the user I made within home assistant settings):

data_path: /config/zigbee2mqtt
socat:
enabled: false
master: pty,raw,echo=0,link=/tmp/ttyZ2M,mode=777
slave: tcp-listen:8485,keepalive,nodelay,reuseaddr,keepidle=1,keepintvl=1,keepcnt=5
options: “-d -d”
log: false
mqtt:
base_topic: zigbee2mqtt
server: mqtt://core-mosquitto:1883
username: [redacted]
password: [redacted]
serial:
port: tcp://core-silabs-multiprotocol:9999
adapter: ezsp

Any pointers on how to troubleshoot most appreciated. I am all out of ideas.

There’s a long discussion about a problem using SkyConnect woth v1.35 here:

I assume you are aware that Zigbee2MQTT’s support for SkyConnect is currently considered to be “experimental”. I imagine that’s based on firmware supporting Zigbee exclusively so your firmware, supporting multiple protocols, probably adds more unpredictability.

Check your SiLabs Mutliprotocol AddOn Logs. Are there any errors with it?
If not, restart Z2M AddOn and look back in the SiLabs logs and you should see a line in the logs, something like “client connected”. If you do, then that should mean that Z2M has connected to SiLabs Zigbee stack. It may be quickly followed by something like “client disconnected” which means Z2M gave up and disconnected and it means the problem is somewhere in the SiLabs and or SkyConnect.

BTW, I think your Zigbee2MQTT config is OK, at least for connecting to SiLabs.

Also, the reason I moved away from SiLabs is that it would disconnect every so often with SkyConnect, plus the Z2M AddOn has to wait for SiLabs AddOn to stabilize after a restart which caused problems similar to what you are seeing.

1 Like

Thank you @wmaker,

That is exactly what happens in my case. I guess we just have to wait someone fix and stabilize all this stuff.

As an FYI, the developers have frozen any more effort on the SiLabs Multiprotocol Addon, I suppose because too many issues out of their control and the like, and are concentrating on the OTBR AddOn. I myself switched a few months ago from SiLabs to OTBR and likewise got a TI based Zigbee Coordinator for Z2M.

Thanks for the update wmaker. I am now using my SkyConnect for thread only and bought a sonoff USB stick. Both seem stable!

@wmaker , Thanks for the update.
Can you explain me (with simple words cause I’m a Thread newby), how OTBR will solve the multiprocole issue ? I don’t see exactly the link

It won’t. They stopped development on multiprotocol. OTBR is a Thread only stack, not continuously switching between Zigbee and Thread.

1 Like

Like francisp says, it doesn’t solve the multiprotocol problem. IMHO, what the OTBR AddOn does however is to improve the HA developer’s ability to deal with Thread issues.

The SiLabs Multiprotocol AddOn has 3 main components, ZigBee Stack, Thread Stack, and another component that is a “go-between” the two stacks and the SkyConnect and these components are supplied, for the most part, by SiLabs themselves. I’m sure the HA developers worked with SiLabs on various issues, but probably found it too much work to deal with these various issues.

The OTBR AddOn gets its Thread stack from the open source, and this allows the HA developers more wiggle room to contribute to and make changes from this software base. SiLabs also uses this same open source code for its Thread stack, but it has to be incorporated into SiLabs SDK and probably more difficult for the HA developers to deal with Thread issues; And again the other SiLabs components are pretty much out of control of the HA developers.

So, for now, Z2M over matter/thread with a Skyconnect is just not working.
I see on other threads that it seems to be fully functionnal with Sonoff USB key. The problem seems more to be with the Skyconnect if I understand.

Even though a TI 2652P based adapter is preferred and fully supported by Z2M, you can run SkyConnect directly with Z2M and it should work fine. It is an Ember ZNet Serial Protocol (EZSP) based device. Any “ezsp” based adapter is considered “experimental” by Z2M, but AFAIK its been like that for a long time, and many many people use ezsp based adapters. There are also some improvements for Ember based devices that are in the works now too.

Worth reading Home Assistant SkyConnect

I did get multiprotocol working but devices were unreliable.

I now have 2 x Skyconnect, one for thread and the other zigbee, not had any issues!

1 Like