Zooz ZST39 LR 800 Firmware 7.21.3 Fail

Upgraded my 800 series stick to their latest firmware (1.30 based on 7.21.3) last night, and now getting constant “controller unresponsive” errors.

Do not recommend.

5 Likes

what software did you use for the upgrade ?

Did it with Home Assistant via zwavejs, then reflashed it from PC Controller just to check it wasn’t an issue with flashing and got the same result.

Intermittently works after unplugging and replugging but generally gives the unresponsive error most of the time now.

1 Like

in my Zwave JS

Yeah mine said that before too, and it did have occasional problems before (with 7.19.3) bit nothing like it is now.

Is it possible to back-rev the firmware and restore reliable functionality? I installed the ZST39 after upgrading it to 7.21.3 and within 24 hours my entire network was dead. I switched back to my ZST10 500 controller and everything is back online. Feeling like I may just return this and keep on my old controller until the firmware bugs are worked out by SiLabs.

My Zwave network (62 devices) works fine. Maybe 3 times a year I need to power cycle my Yellow Box when Zwave stops working, but otherwise no problems.

According SiliconLabs the (only) manufacturer of the zwave 700 chips, the bug is still present in firmware 7.21.3 (see release notes on the SL website).

I have terrible experience with an Aeotec Gen-7 (700 controller stick), frequent jamming of the stick, dead devices and stick completely blocked.

same problem, had to downgrade using silicon labs studio.
submitted question to zwave-js devs:

2 Likes

Same problem here…

Even more fun is that I can’t seem to install any other version even in PC Controller. All OTW update attempts fail.

So probably messed up my ZST39. PC controller still sees the stick, and all devices are shown on there, but all OTW attempts immediately fail. Tried to flash from zwave js ui in bootloader only mode, that fails too.

Live and learn I guess. I have another ZST39 on the way, and have NVM backups, so hopefully I can get a new stick working.

Was able to downgrade using zwave-js-ui and all seems back to normal.

1 Like

Is it possible to downgrade to 7.18.3?

Doesn’t seem possible…

Actually my stick didn’t work 100% fine after the downgrade. I couldn’t add any new nodes and it would lock up intermittently. Replaced it with a new one and uploaded the old NVM and got back up and running again.

No doubt the firmware upgrade/downgrade had some influence on this, but very difficult to debug.

I had the same problem with the 7.21.3 firmware. I upgraded from 7.19.3 using zwave js ui OTW. After the upgrade I immediately stated getting controller unresponsive errors. And constantly. I occasional had that error in 7.19.3, so I was hoping the new firmware would at least make it some what better. I did another OTW back to 7.19.3 and it is working as it had been prior. Maybe Silicon Labs will fix this one day. My zwave network works fairly well with 50 devices, but occasionally hangs when shutting of multiple lights at the same time.

Add a victim to the list… I’ve been suffering this for a week now, confused why. I upgraded being proactive once I purchased my stick… oops. This sucks :smiley:

I downgraded to 7.18.3 and my network has been so much better.

I came within one click of upgrading before checking here first. Misery averted. Thank you all!

2 Likes

Better than 7.21 or better than 7.19?

It’s better than both.

1 Like