ZST10-700 Firmware

Once I have them setup (fully interviewed next to the controller, etc) I move them to their final home and run a manual heal on the new device (keeping the device alive). Now sometimes that heal takes a while (yesterday I have a device between a washer and dryer and it took 4-5 attempts), but as soon as I get 100% reliable triggers during that time, whether it’s “healed” or not I stop.

After I add battery devices, it’s take a couple of day to become stable.

For some devices, especially the cheap Chinese ones, I find it best to factory reset before inclusion,

2 Likes

My z-wave network is quite small (7 connected devices), so I was only repeatedly losing one particular light switch. After flashing to 7.17.2 that light switch has stayed connected. I’ve had no additional problems since the update.

1 Like

Wait, I don’t understand this. You exclude the controller itself? How?

No, Devices

Edit: I changed my original post to help clarify.

1 Like

Hi,

I am a bit confused. I have bought an Aeotec Z-Stick 7 | Z-Wave Plus V2 | ZWA010 | 700er Serie

In HA in my “Z-Wave JS” it gets displayed as

I am not sure what Firmware update I should/could flash
https://github.com/kpine/zwave-js-server-docker/wiki/700-series-Controller-Firmware-Updates-(Linux)#home-assistant-z-wave-integration-update

Thank you!

If you have an Aeotec, then you should use the Aeotec firmware. The product information is generic for these sticks, they don’t have unique identifiers.

1 Like

Also for the record (and to compare notes), I have the Zooz 700 USB stick, and this is what I see as of today:

Zooz has 7.18.3 available on their firmware download page.

1 Like

Indeed!! I checked Zooz’s support page.

… so looks like we now have the capability to update the ZST10-700 firmware, directly from the UI of HA…?

… which is new to this month’s release also!

I guess that’s maybe new for standard ZWave integration, OTW from within HA has been possible with zwavejs2mqtt for a while now.

Updated 7.18.3 on one of my sticks last week and the update failed and my USB stick is stuck in bootloader mode and Zooz wants me to RMA it. But I updated another ZST10-700 today and 7.18.3 updated just fine.

Also, I spoke to Zooz today and they’re currently testing 7.19.2 and said it should be ready within a few weeks. Looking forward to that version to fix NVM backup/restore for 800 series chips so I can move to my ZAC93 + Home Assistant Yellow.

When upgrading the Zooz ZST10-700 ( FW ver. 7.17.2 US) with HA used the Silicon Labs method on Windows 11 Pro in the summer of 2022, since then, I have switched my PC OS to using Zorin 16 Pro and have the Linux OTW file (FW ver. 7.18.3 US.)

Not quite sure on how I should move forward with this, clearly don’t want to brick my stick, any thoughts?

You could just spin up a zwavejs2mqtt docker container and use that to perform the OTW on Linux.

Upgraded a ZST10-700 this way two weeks ago and worked great, just make sure and pass your USB stick to the container.

--device=/dev/serial/by-id/insert_stick_reference_here:/dev/zwave

https://zwave-js.github.io/zwave-js-ui/#/getting-started/docker

Sorry, forgot to mention that Im using Z2M with HA supervised.

Tried it natively uploading through HA, says bootloader failed to start.

There is nothing that requires you to do the update with the stick plugged into your Home Assistant server. Zorin OS appears to be able to run docker. Just shutdown your ZWave add-on, move your stick to your Linux PC, spin up the docker container, do the OTW from the web UI of zwavejs, then move it back to your Home Assistant server and start your add-on back up.

I would recommend doing a NVM backup before any OTW just to be safe which can also easily be done from zwavejs UI.

Your zwavejs docker container won’t know anything about your paired nodes (they will just show node ID and unknown for everything else) and it might try to reinterview everything when it first loads up but it doesn’t matter and you can just ignore it. Just do your NVM backup and your OTW and shut the docker container back down. You can delete the zwavejs docker container on your Linux PC when you are done and everything is confirmed online and working again. (I always save my NVM backups afterwards still just in case, they are small files and it can’t hurt to have them.)

Was looking on GitHub this morning at the option for that, so thanks I’ll definitely give that a whirl.

Now not sure if I should wait for the 7.9.xx release or do this as a trial run first… haha

It’s up to you. 7.19.3 is likely a few weeks out still though.

You can update the firmware manually when it’s stuck in the bootloader, from the command line, directly from HAOS.

Use the community SSH add-on and enable protected mode for the terminal session. Copy the firmware file to your /config directory. Then login via the SSH add-on.

Install npm:

$ apk add --no-cache npm

Run the flash utility:

$ npx -y @zwave-js/flash /dev/ttyUSB0 /config/fw.gbl

Run with verbose option if there are any issues:

$ npx -y @zwave-js/flash /dev/ttyUSB0 /config/fw.gbl --verbose
1 Like

Also, if you are using Z-Wave JS UI (if you are using Z2M you are out of date), you can enable the bootloader in Z-Wave settings and try the upgrade again.

I’d try starting it up normal first (it will by default anyways) then look at the logs and see if it’s actually stuck in bootloader mode or not before enabling that option.

One of my sticks got stuck in bootloader mode last month and OTW did not work at the time but robertsLando fixed the issue. The fix should be in the latest zwavejs UI github and the hass add-on now.
(File upload for OTW update fails on all files · Issue #3023 · zwave-js/zwave-js-ui · GitHub)