ZST10-700 Firmware

You mean like every modern computer sold? Earl ones were programmed with wiring. Enev your microwave oven depends on software.
You must not have a television either. All now depend on firmware & software. Do do any systems broadcasting the signal.analog television dies years ago.

Hereā€™s whatā€™s in the HA Hardware list.

DEVLINKS: "/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_Zooz_ZST10\_700_Z-Wave_Stick_0001-if00-port0 /dev/serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:0c.0-usb-0:5:1.0-port0

Right, you can see instead of an underscore, the space in ZST10\_700 is some other character. If you have access to udevadm, you might be able to see exactly what that character is.

$ udevadm info -q property -n /dev/ttyUSB0 | grep _ENC
ID_VENDOR_ENC=Silicon\x20Labs
ID_MODEL_ENC=CP2102N\x20USB\x20to\x20UART\x20Bridge\x20Controller

\x20 is a normal ASCII space. For example, you might see a \xA0 instead.

Thanks

Is that command available in HAOS?, when I try it, I get ā€œcommand not foundā€.

So if I could determine what the character is, would I be able to use the by-id path?

I wouldnā€™t know how to do it in HAOS, if you even can. If you have another Linux host you can try it there, even a regular VM.

The web forms might convert the character, I canā€™t copy and paste a \xA0 into this forum for example. I would contact Zooz instead of trying to work around their mistake.

Ok, will do

Yes, thatā€™s literally what I mean. The companies that sell all of those things have people who work on the software for them. Even when they outsource the basic OS and functionality, they have in-house people who work on the integrations, customizations, etc. Of course, because of regulatory and safety concerns a microwave is in its own class of things, but, say ā€“ my Fujifilm digital camera. Fujifilm provides a consumer-oriented way to update the firmware. They donā€™t expect me to send the camera back for that to be done at the factory ā€” or for me to sign up for ā€œCamera Embedded Studio Pro Lite Expressā€ or whatever from some other manufacturer.

Controllers are different than Devices. Controllers are similar to microwave ovens in that the manufacturer does not expect the normal user to need to update the firmware.

Silicon Labs who owns the Z-Wave standards do not permit any other company to make the firmware. It is licensed, I believe. Silicon Labs does not normally expect user to need to upgrade firmware but has provided developer tools. Their latest Z-Wave standard firmware had issues that did not show up during pre-production testing necessitating the need to upgrade their firmware.

Zooz decided to make it easier for their users by offering a stick replacement. You are not required to do that though.

Right, but as we can see thatā€™s not a reasonable expectation. Early digital camera manufacturers also thought that firmware could be baked-in and wouldnā€™t need updates, but with anything this complicated, that is obviously untrue. If youā€™re selling Z-wave devices, you are in the software business.

What exactly you can use as an alternative way to express the sequence will depend on the tooling youā€™re using. In the systemd service file Iā€™m using, \u00A0 (note the \) works because systemd understands that syntax (see systemd.syntax, Quoting). If youā€™re putting it into the zwave2mqtt config, the same may work (zwave2mqtt stores its config in a json file, and json supports that same syntax), but it might not (something may try to sanitize away ā€œweirdā€ values, becauseā€¦ really thatā€™s terrible and itā€™s a reasonable expectation that device names should not have characters like that).

You should be able to copy and paste the string, depending on your terminal. If that doesnā€™t work, try going to   - no-break space (u+00A0) copy and paste - UnicodeĀ® symbol and copying from the box there.

1 Like

Iā€™m following instructions here: How to Perform an OTA Firmware Update on Zooz Devices - Zooz Support Center

The Zooz 700 stick is in. Recognized by PC. I get to step 6 and cannot get PC Controller to add it. Itā€™s a brand new stick received today, so itā€™s not been used before. Any idea whatā€™s up?

I could be wrong, but I believe you need to use OTW

Dude, Iā€™m so lost. Everything Iā€™m seeing says to do the OTA instructions for brand new devices. As said above (not by me), Iā€™m just a hobbyist and all the dev changes are wayyyy over my head. Iā€™m just trying to follow a single doc and half the time it doesnā€™t work. I just happen to not be able to get past this step.

With that said, I saw the OTW option, so I did that. It said it was successful, but it didnā€™t update the driver version from what I saw. I tried just now again, but it gave me error 0x18. Very insightful. Do you know how to verify the firmware version? I looked in Device Manager and itā€™s still 6.7.3.350.

1 Like

You should be able to see the version (.17) in SS.

I believe, once itā€™s applied, you cannot re apply it a 2nd time. Versioning must always be higher.

1 Like

I found another article: How to Perform an OTA Firmware Update on Your ZST10 700 Z-Wave Stick - Zooz Support Center

They mistitled the article though, so I skipped over it thinking it was a duplicate. This one is the OTW instructions. And it has the verification step at the end. Iā€™m on 7.17 now.

Fantastic.

Sorry, I didnā€™t even look at the link until now, and thatā€™s for devices.

But of course you know that now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was able to update the firmware on my Zooz ZST10-700 USB stick

I used these instructions from this guide:
https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/931-how-to-perform-an-ota-firmware-update-on-your-zst10-700-z-wave-stick/

The most current firmware 7.17.2 was found here:

1 Like

Did this fix your issues? Iā€™m on 7.17.2 and still have issues pairing battery powered devices personally.

All my network delay issues and outages have been fixed with 7.17.2. I have noticed however that I have to be right next to the stick to get battery devices (some powered also) to get it to pair correctly the first.

I also learned itā€™s best to exclude the Zooz devices before inclusion. Makes the entire process, especially with S2 much smother. Oh and keep those devices awake until itā€™s completely interviewed. (4x button press over and over again until competed)

Okay yeah Iā€™ve basically observed all these same issues as well. Iā€™ve excluded every device before pairing and some Iā€™ve even had to factory reset due to unresponsiveness (even local control).

I also canā€™t really pair anything battery unless I am literally on top of the controller. Almost as if it will never pair over any route than direct to the stick if itā€™s a battery powered device. I know this isnā€™t ideal since the routes will all be wrong when I move the device. Do your battery powered devices tend to heal up and work better over time once installed and/or with running network heals?

I must not be keeping them awake enough. I am getting lots of things half interviewed and way too often will show Unknown manufacturer 0xXXXX, etc.

7.17.2 def did help things a lot but itā€™s still rocky at best when trying to add things. I had to use a 50ft LAN cable to get my hub up to the fourth floor to pair the last two wall switches.

I am also seeing tons of errors all the time. Basically all the same errors this person was seeing, but this issue is closed now. Zooz ZST10 700 after firmware update to 7.17.1 still with nodes dropping off network Ā· Issue #4201 Ā· zwave-js/node-zwave-js Ā· GitHub