Zwave JS and Ring Alarm via Zwave?

Hi,

Hoping to find someone who’s brave enough to have tried adding a ring alarm base station to Z wave JS. Ring say it’s possible to add it as a secondary controller.

I’ve a ring alarm pending setup and a new home assistant install which is due to get a z wave stick added… I’m hoping to have the benefit of the ring sensors that came with the alarm for both security and automation… Need the base station to pair properly (likely using S2) for it to be a runner though…

Has anyone tried?

1 Like

I have this issue where after upgrading hassio i lost my ring zwave items. Esp my schlage door lock where i could control my ring lock via ring app AND through Hassio.

How did you even manage to get them joined up?

I tried this afternoon. I could join the base station to Home Assistant and also joined the range extender and the keypad at one stage (although they didn’t seem to configure properly).

However I then couldn’t see them in the Ring App.

The base station itself didn’t report anything meaningful entity wise even in terms of arm vs disarm.

Not sure if I went about it the wrong way but it seems to be a nice idea but not doable.

I used zwavejs add-on / integration. Really don’t like the idea of 2 different z wave networks (and more importantly multiple door sensors on some doors) in the house.

Any guidance nutsofamily?

I gave up on zwave and used the Ring integration and everything now works including my Schlage Zwave lock that is tied to the ring integration.

Do the sensors pull through with the ring integration? The docs on the site make it sound like it’s just the doorbell or cams.

All door sensors, Alarm control panel, flood lights, motion sensor and motion sensor show up. This included battery charge and wifi signal. I can lock up lock door as well since it’s tied to Ring.

How did you add Alarm Control Panel and Motion Sensors? When I added Ring integration, it is finding cameras only. I do not have door locks.

I added this integration about a year ago and added Control Panel and Motion sensors much later, but it does not see it.

Ring Devices via MQTT Add-on for Home Assistant

Home Assistant Add-on: Mosquitto broker

You need both

1 Like

Thanks for this. Set it up in less than 15 minutes start to finish… Wasted an afternoon yesterday!

:grin:
Glad to help.
Frustrating as hell.

Hi @nutsofamily , have an aeotec zwave usb and configured zwave JS, was able to pair a ring door sensor. All good…well i thought so. Was hoping that it would just show the device entities (and it does) but it seems it was just a point in time. Its not interacting with the device. Pretty new to HA so can you explain what i might need to do in terms of the broker and mqtt? thanks (ps, want to use the sensor to kick off a node red automation)

I gave up on my zwave USB amd simply used the Ring integration to get everything working.

So does this mean that u used both the ring integration and the mqtt broker to see the window sensors or is the ring integration alone enough to see sensors in home assistant

Speaking for myself. I’m using the above mentioned ring add-on which works with the mqtt broker to feed in the sensors. Works excellently.

I have the ring integration for the cameras.

I am sorry, but I still do not understand how to integrate sensors with HA. Can someone explain it to me?

I am not familiar with mqtt broker so i guess a new rabit hole
I have zwavemqttjs set up but not sure that will do so i will explore but if u cld share any insight that would be great

Second and more ring question to the sensors relay the signal or does each one need line of site to the hub
Wanted to put the ugly ring in the closet but not sure that will work

As above I have mqtt setup and ring integration. The MQTT will find the sensors. The sensors are obviously not line of site as they are spread out through out the house.

I have abandoned using any Zwave stick as it works with the integrations. I can also get my Zwave Schlage Lock to work via Ring integration and can lock/unock

I was able to set it up using this: https://github.com/tsightler/ring-mqtt-ha-addon

@nutsofamily, how did you do this? The text inside of the divider. I see how to set up dividers and sections. There are no labels in dividers, and the text in sections goes below the section…

cards:
  - cards:
      - color_type: blank-card
        type: 'custom:button-card'
      - entity: lock.front_door
        name: Front Door
        show_entity_picture: true
        state:
          - entity_picture: /local/schlager.png
            value: locked
          - entity_picture: /local/schlageg.png
            value: unlocked