Zwave-js sensors for Kwikset 914 lock...missing?

Previously I was using the alarm type, alarm level, and some other sensors to trigger events with the old zwave integration and it seems like for some reason Zwave-js doesn’t have them. Has anyone figured out a way to get them, or a workaround?

I’m also now using keymaster for lock codes and user management and without these sensors, the functionality is much more limited.

EDIT:

I really would like someone to tell me if they have a smartcode 914 working with keymaster and Zwave-js properly. I did all of the setup and can’t seem to get triggers for when the lock is unlocked or anything about what user unlocked it.

The status of “locked” or “unlocked” works fine, as does the auto relock. The user lock events are mainly what is missing.

You can reenable sensors that are disabled by default by going to the device page. Generally events have replace the need to trigger on sensor changes, described in the zwave_js docs.

The sensors have already been re-enabled. They simply do not work.

Do you happen to have information about the events specific to this lock?

EDIT:

Nevermind. I see them. I guess now I have to figure out a way to get them into keymaster. It used/uses the sensors.

I know this is a little late, but for the next person that comes through here desperately trying to get their ZWave Kwikset 914 working in Home Assistant, here’s the answer…

Before you Begin - Cleanup

1. Find the your Kwikset lock in the ZWave JS Device List.
  2. Configure the device.
  3. The very bottom entry (Parameter 40) is “Reset to Default”. Do that.
  4. Wait a few seconds and ZWave JS will erase the node.
  5. IMPORTANT! DO THIS NOW! The lock has now forgotten where it is. Repeat the “Set locking and unlocking direction” procedure in the Kwikset lock installation guide.
  6. Delete any KeyMaster integrations you may still have.
  7. Delete all remaining entities that have anything to do with that lock.
  8. Delete all entities containing “keymaster” in the ID.
  9. Restart HomeAssistant.

Now, let’s get this working!

1. Install brand new Alkaline (not rechargeable) batteries into the lock. Other batteries are fine later, but the ZWave inclusion and interview process requires a lot of RF, and the stronger the signal, the better this step will work.
  2. Follow the standard procedure to include this device into your ZWave network. (Start inclusion in ZWave JS, press the “A” button on the lock, wait patiently.)
  3. Find the device in ZWave JS. Under Device info, make sure it identified it as “914 by Kwikset” and Highest security reads “S0 Legacy”. In the upper right, it should show the battery power percentage remaining. If any of these things don’t look right, install higher quality batteries and start over from the cleanup section above.
  4. Click the pencil in the upper right and give it the name you want. Be sure to change the name of the entities when prompted.
  5. Go through the “Sensors” section on this same page and enable all of them. This will take about a minute each. Always wait until the last sensor you enabled shows up before continuing to the next one. A browser page reload may be needed to see this.
  6. Add the KeyMaster integration with the following settings and submit. These assume you named your lock “Front Door”. YMMV if you named yours something else. If I didn’t specify the setting then configure it as you please.
  • Select your lock: lock.front_door_lock
  • Alarm Level/User Code Sensor: sensor.front_door_lock_alarm_level
  • Alarm Type/Access Control Sensor: sensor.front_door_lock_alarm_type
  1. Wait 1 minute and restart HomeAssistant.
  2. Follow the KeyMaster installation guide for setting up your Dashboard.
  3. Enjoy your fully working Kwikset 914 ZWave lock!
2 Likes