Zwave with Baldwin (Kwikset 916) works but unknown status

Hello, I am new to HA (must be why I bought “green”) and my first project is to add my new door lock. It is made by Baldwin but it calls itself a Kwikset 916 and I am using a Zooz S2 700. Initial install went ok and it did what it was supposed to do but after a few minutes - in HA only - it would not recognize that it was locked. If I locked it by hand or through the key pad, the status in HA was correct, and if I unlocked it through HA it was correct, but if I locked it through HA I get a jammed alarm.
I did a factory reset, put in new batteries and followed the procedure suggested here Zwave-js sensors for Kwikset 914 lock...missing? and it is the same. I get the same “unknown” on my phone and on HA I see
Access Control Lock State: Lock Jammed
Alarm Level: 1
Alarm Type: 23

As I said above, it functions perfectly, HA correctly displays the state when operating by hand or through the keypad and I can lock and unlock it thru HA but when I lock it thru HA it says “jammed” even though it is not. This happens even when the door is open and the bolt goes to the end of its travel. I am a complete newbie so any suggestions would be appreciated but please be specific and detailed. Thank you in advance.

I was wrong about something: if I lock the door from inside by manually turning the knob, the HA display on my phone goes from red/unlocked to green/locked. If I lock it through the keypad or through HA, it says jammed even though it is the same motion and even if the door is open allowing free travel of the bolt.