2021.12: New configuration menu, the button entity, and gorgeous area cards!

Please make a new post for support. Thanks.

How long does it usually take for a change in dev to be included in a (fix-)release?
My energy dashboard is impacted on a daily basis but the bug causing it was already fixed in #62599 (merged to dev 22/12/2021), so Iā€™m hoping itā€™s included soonā€¦

Aqara vibration sensor broken with this update.
I have been using these sensors for years, suddenly they are now reporting virations several times/hour for no reason. Did something break in the zigbee (Deconz) integration?
Se attached graph which clearly illustrates the change in behavior from 12/29. Replaced the sensor and it changed nothing.

Itā€™ll be in the next release if itā€™s merged into dev. First week in feb, or last week in January if you try the beta.

Not sure if I am correct here - should open a new thread in community or should raise an issue within github :stuck_out_tongue:
Just let me know if I would be better somewhere else with this.

Since 2021.12.9 I have experienced (might have happened earlier but I did not notice - I have seen 2021.12.3 brought some changes to the ā€˜repeat validationā€™) an issue with script/automation repeat and a count of 0 (which can happen if working with some templates).
As far as I remember in the past the repeat was just not executed at all.
Now I receive an error of:

2022-01-12 14:43:34 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation.test_automation] test_automation: Error executing script. Unexpected error for repeat at pos 4: 'repeat'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 381, in _async_step
await getattr(self, handler)()
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/trace.py", line 251, in async_wrapper
await func(*args)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 752, in _async_repeat_step
del self._variables["repeat"]
KeyError: 'repeat'
2022-01-12 14:43:34 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation.test_automation] While executing automation automation.test_automation
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/__init__.py", line 508, in async_trigger
await self.action_script.async_run(
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 1260, in async_run
await asyncio.shield(run.async_run())
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 363, in async_run
await self._async_step(log_exceptions=False)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 381, in _async_step
await getattr(self, handler)()
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/trace.py", line 251, in async_wrapper
await func(*args)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 752, in _async_repeat_step
del self._variables["repeat"]
KeyError: 'repeat'

The automation I verified this behavior with is:

- id: test_automation
    alias: test_automation
    description: 'Any test automation'
    mode: parallel
    trigger:
      - id: 'bool_on' 
        platform: state
        entity_id: input_boolean.test_input_boolean
        to: 'on'
    action:         
      - service: system_log.write
        data_template:
          logger: homeassistant.components.automation.test_automation
          level: critical
      - alias: 'test loop1'
        repeat: 
          count: 3
          sequence:
              data_template:
                message: "in loop1 - repeat: {{repeat.index}}"                
      - alias: 'test loop2'
        repeat: 
          count: 1
          sequence:
              data_template:
                message: "in loop2 - repeat: {{repeat.index}}"                
      - alias: 'test loop3'
        repeat: 
          count: 0
          sequence:
              data_template:
                message: "in loop3 - repeat: {{repeat.index}}"                
        data_template:

But there seem to be already plans to have Button Entity available as helper entityā€¦ so something like ā€œinput_button.XYZā€ - see Button as helper entity - Feature Requests - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Raise an issue.

thanks raised issue: script / automation repeat with count 0 fails Ā· Issue #63977 Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub

Yes. Which is why I also said:

Tom means that most likely it will be part of the next major update.

Yet again, another release that fails to update.

You have 2021.12.8 installed. Click update to update to version 2021.12.9

This doesnā€™t give us much info to helpā€¦ how about checking your logs. It seems others havenā€™t had issues updating (I havenā€™t tried yet).

5 posts were split to a new topic: Documentation issues

I like the button entity and many other new features. I cannot upgrade to use these though as an Integration I use has been broken for the last 6 months.
Can you please have a look at the NASA ISS integration. I raised a problem ticket ā†’ BROKEN - Binary sensor for ISS not returning any information -> was issue #60647 Ā· Issue #63976 Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub

Thanks.

I had the same issue last year. I submitted a feature request to allow updating the HA core separately from the built-in integrations:

It didnā€™t get much traction. If you agree this would be helpful, feel free to up-vote the FR.

The ISS integration is working fine for me.

Are you sure you have it configured correctly?

There isnā€™t anything to configure really - Iā€™ve not changed the config since it works fine in v 2021.6.6 - after that it doesnā€™t on all versions. What version are you running?

Unfortunately, it seems that you have to live with that. I also know the problem. many things that have worked for a long time, no longer work after a new update. It is really totally annoying!

And the reactions to such a message, are here also always the same. :frowning:

What can be done if no information is given? Itā€™s not normal for this to happen. Unfortunately, nothing can be done without information on the lights or the script configuration. Which was not posted in a separate support thread. Help us help you. We arenā€™t mind readers, these defeatist comments are your own doing.

3 Likes

Note that thereā€™s an irritating bug introduced with Release 2021.12.10, regarding the ArgonOne Active Cooling AddOn. Something in this release causes the control of the ArgonOne fan to go berserk, and I think whatā€™s happening is itā€™s cycling to 100% then down to 0% every 2-4 seconds. Iā€™ve created a bug report on the ArgonOne Active Cooling GitHub, link here.

Still? That should be fixed by now, it took multiple attempts and avenues to do but itā€™s not happening anymore on my systems.