2021.9.0: More energy, USB discovery, template ❤️

I think your use of “brick” is exaggerated here. At the most, your HA core might be crashing?
“Brick” implies the whole device is dead.

You should have many ways to access your files in this situation. Samba, SSH, FTP add-ons, etc.

2 Likes

I only have like 30 seg before the device restars completely…

His terminology might be incorrect but I don’t believe a brand new release stopping your HA instance from working is appropriate.

If you don’t have Samba etc on by default you don’t have many options left other than starting over and restoring from backup.

If stability is your main goal, I’d never recommend upgrading any software a couple hours after release. Unless it’s to patch security vulnerabilities. There is a reason why businesses tend to opt for semi-annual, ltsb etc. Its almost impossible to release software without some kind of bug, especially on the scale and complexity of this sort of project. Hopefully you get the issue sorted =)

13 Likes

a lot of people rely on HA for a lot of day-to-day functions

Not to sound too harsh but, never install .0 versions on important systems.

That said, perhaps HA should promote an early release group for broader beta testing.

7 Likes

This isn’t going to help immediately but there is a Google Drive add-on you can get by custom repository. It copies snapshots/backups to your Google Drive for this exact event. There are dropbox ones etc too.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/add-on-home-assistant-google-drive-backup/107928

5 Likes

There’s a breaking changes list for every release and we have no idea if that is in play here. Terminology is at least helpful.

And yes, Samba, ssh, any of the add-ons which provide access for when you inevitably lose the frontend are a given. You have to install and run something to make this a complete system.

2 Likes

There are a bunch of these in my Supervisor log after an update:

21-09-01 22:27:41 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on config 'snapshot_exclude' is deprecated, 'backup_exclude' should be used instead. Please report this to the maintainer of deCONZ
21-09-01 22:27:41 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on config 'snapshot_post' is deprecated, 'backup_post' should be used instead. Please report this to the maintainer of MariaDB
21-09-01 22:27:41 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on config 'snapshot_pre' is deprecated, 'backup_pre' should be used instead. Please report this to the maintainer of MariaDB
21-09-01 22:27:42 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on config 'snapshot' is deprecated, 'backup' should be used instead. Please report this to the maintainer of UniFi Controller

The funny thing is that I don’t have some of these addons installed - like deCONZ and UniFi

There is a github issue open here: 2021.9.0 - causing my Pi3 to restart over & over ? · Issue #55541 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

I’ve tried to replicate the issue with a fresh RPi3 install. Unfortunately, everything worked great and I wasn’t able to make the boot loop happen.

Is it safe to upgrade on a RPI4 w/ SSD ? In other words, are all the prior boot-loop reports installs on RPI3?

Ok that’s a lesson, I thought I was safe on the stable version because of some beta testing before the release but of course I wasn’t.
I’m lucky I use my automations for fun and not for work :roll_eyes:

1 Like

None of those help if the machine is in an endless bootloop.

2 Likes

That is expected and OK. They are in your addon store, hence the warning. Ignore.

Wouldn’t touch it just yet personally

Since the update I see the following error message in the Energy Dashboard Settings under Electricity Grid:

Unexpected unit of measurement
The following entities do not have the expected units of measurement 'EUR/kWh' or 'EUR/Wh':
* sensor.price_per_kwh (€)

The value of the price per kWh sensor is 0.24
Any ideas why it is now complaining about this value? Is it a bug?

What are your currency units set to?

Couldn’t help myself so I upgraded and all is well on my RPI4.

2 Likes

Thank you for your service!
Good to know Pi4 is good. Might be a Pi3 issue then.

Hi, I’m using efergy integration to get my solar panel production but I can’t add the sensor to the energy tab, it simply isn’t available in the drop down. I was hoping that this release would resolve the issue but still nothing.

Can anyone help?

You mean the currency unit that can be set under General Configuration? This is set to EUR