2022.10 core update broke automations

Hello,
I’ve just updated the core to 2022.10 from 2022.9.7, as soon as the update finished I had the following error:

Logger: homeassistant.config
Source: components/device_automation/trigger.py:69
First occurred: 08:34:07 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 08:34:07

Invalid config for [automation]: invalid trigger configuration (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 10).
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/device_automation/trigger.py", line 67, in async_validate_trigger_config
    return await platform.async_validate_trigger_config(hass, config)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/netatmo/device_trigger.py", line 87, in async_validate_trigger_config
    raise InvalidDeviceAutomationConfig(f"Unsupported model {device.model}")
homeassistant.components.device_automation.exceptions.InvalidDeviceAutomationConfig: Unsupported model Smart Indoor Camera

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/config.py", line 113, in _try_async_validate_config_item
    validated_config = await async_validate_config_item(hass, config, full_config)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/config.py", line 80, in async_validate_config_item
    config[CONF_TRIGGER] = await async_validate_trigger_config(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/trigger.py", line 100, in async_validate_trigger_config
    conf = await platform.async_validate_trigger_config(hass, conf)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/device_automation/trigger.py", line 69, in async_validate_trigger_config
    raise InvalidDeviceAutomationConfig("invalid trigger configuration") from err
homeassistant.components.device_automation.exceptions.InvalidDeviceAutomationConfig: invalid trigger configuration

if I downgrade to 2022.9.7 the error disappear againg and everything work like before withouth touching any automation.
The problem is that now I’m stuck to 2022.9.7, is there anything I can do to try to solve this issue?

Thank you in advance

1 Like

check your config? (check breaking changes)
or better, post it?

I am facing the same error after updating to 2022.10. When i restore to 2022.9.7 everything works.
But once i update Automations and Zigbee2mqtt are no longer available

2022-10-06 02:20:50.003 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to set up dependencies of default_config. Setup failed for dependencies: automation
2022-10-06 02:20:50.015 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for default_config: (DependencyError(...), 'Could not setup dependencies: automation')

Logger: homeassistant.setup
First occurred: 3:05:04 AM (1 occurrences) 
Last logged: 3:05:04 AM

Error during setup of component automation
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/device_automation/trigger.py", line 67, in async_validate_trigger_config
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hue/device_trigger.py", line 44, in async_validate_trigger_config
    raise InvalidDeviceAutomationConfig(f"Device ID {device_id} is not valid")
homeassistant.components.device_automation.exceptions.InvalidDeviceAutomationConfig: Device ID c162359ed7df93641d0122b65a393798 is not valid

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py", line 235, in _async_setup_component
    result = await task
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/__init__.py", line 246, in async_setup
    if not await _async_process_config(hass, config, component):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/__init__.py", line 690, in _async_process_config
    await async_validate_config_item(hass, raw_config),
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/config.py", line 80, in async_validate_config_item
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/trigger.py", line 100, in async_validate_trigger_config
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/device_automation/trigger.py", line 69, in async_validate_trigger_config
homeassistant.components.device_automation.exceptions.InvalidDeviceAutomationConfig: invalid trigger configuration

How to solve it?
Should i restore again to 2022.9.7 or is it possible to solve in 2022.10?

You are right, here’s my configuration.yaml (it needs some cleaning but it was working).
From what I see the issue seems related to the automations.yaml and not from some other configurations but since line 10 of configuration.yaml is related to “group: !include groups.yaml” and “automation: !include automations.yaml” is line 11 I’m a bit confused

Just detaling with same error, has been reported in 2022.10.0b5 Invalid config for [automation]: invalid trigger configuration in 2022.10.0b5 · Issue #79578 · home-assistant/core (github.com)

I’ve run watchman report what was missing in automations.yaml, cleaned it up, but still not working.

Edit: And I’ve opened all of my automations, and checked triggers, and all seems ok. I’ve cleaned up also old blueprints which watchman has flagged, and still not working. So downgrade here I come.

1 Like

I have this : (netatmo cameras)

First occurred: 08.39.58 (3 occurrences)
Last logged: 08.39.58

Invalid config for [automation]: invalid trigger configuration (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 159).
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/netatmo/device_trigger.py", line 87, in async_validate_trigger_config
homeassistant.components.device_automation.exceptions.InvalidDeviceAutomationConfig: Unsupported model Smart Outdoor Camera

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/config.py", line 113, in _try_async_validate_config_item

I have the Netatmo Welcome and part of the problem seems there:

homeassistant.components.device_automation.exceptions.InvalidDeviceAutomationConfig: Unsupported model Smart Indoor Camera

But when I updated the camera integration was working fine

how do you upgrade ? mine look like its up to date

Sorry I meant when I updated the core the camera integration was still working fine, but the error was reported anyway

OK, same here

1 Like

There seems to be an issue with trigger variables. If I remove the variables (or revert to 2022.9.7), my automations work OK.

trigger:
  - type: motion
    platform: device
    device_id: 49df286b2b8a746a22b379dac86f7afa
    entity_id: binary_sensor.back_garden_motion_sensor_motion
    domain: binary_sensor
    variables:
      trigger_message: "Back Garden Motion Sensor: Motion detected"

It’s really frustrating. I’ve restored a Backup. Basically everythings running but i can not access the UI from my Add-Ons over the side bar. They are running but the status is on start-

How can i solve this?

Same issue. My initial investigation seems to point to an issue with the use of variables within blueprints.

I had to go to a previous full backup and do a full restore.

I’ve already done a full restore but with the result that zigbee2mqtt is not restored for whatever reason???
No hints in the logs.

Same here.
The new version don’t work for me! :thinking:

Have you already tried 2022.10.1? I see that it has just been released but I can’t try it until tomorrow

I’ve tried to update to 2022.10.1 same error so far:

First occurred: 06:46:08 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 06:46:08

Invalid config for [automation]: invalid trigger configuration (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 10).

I’m restoring the 2022.9.7 core backup. I really hope that the HA team will consider to fix this issue :confused:

It’s frustrating as the issue already appear during beta test phase.

1 Like