2022.3: Select and play media

yep same here - found the new integration thanks to Michel! Missed that one on breaking changes somehow

Iā€™ve just created a PR on the browser_mod repo to add media source support to the media player:

Iā€™ve tested it with local media, Radio Browser, and text-to-speach and it is working for them all.

1 Like

I completely agree, the change of location of the TTS now requires five actions from the user when previously it was two. This is a remarkable downgrade in usability from my perspective and I hope we can just get a configuration option to add it back in to the original location.

The new steps for me are now:

1. Select the Media option on my Player
  2. Choose TTS
  3. Choose my TTS option
  4. Delete the prepopulated message
  5. Type and send.

Previously it was:

1. Select Menu on Media Player
  2. Type and Send

Was there a back end reason why this needed to change? I really like the new media player, but this seems to be an oversight of usability in favor of consolidating all things media into the new system.

5 Likes

I do not use Nabucasa and my TTS works on my google cast devices. I have tested two configurations:

1. Google Translate
  2. Google Cloud with Wavenet

Each of these work as expected, but the requirement to go through the media browser to use it is a downgrade in usability.

What you say is correct, but still the same to automate it, which the end game.

1 Like

The automation aspect is fine for me, but as mentioned by other users, many of us use this as a quick little broadcasting interface. It worked really well in my house until this update. Now my spouse has stopped using it altogether because its not convenient. I am not sure if I can make a card with a text field and a send button, but that might be only alternative at this point.

I think a text box for the text and a drop-down to select the player.

I think that could be an option. I would prefer just a send button tied to a specific cast target because each room in my house has its own dashboard.

HACS Notify card

type: custom:notify-card
target: tablet
title: Send Notification
label: Lees dit voor uit de speaker:

Does it for meā€¦ Type text, click send. :wink:

afbeelding

3 Likes

Thank you, I was looking through the options already. This is excellent.

EDIT:

After messing around with this a bit, it looks like there is a little more configuration to get a TTS operation to happen. When you set the target to ā€˜tabletā€™ what is being done to make notify/tablet a valid service?

With my configuration I added:

target: media_player.loft_speakers

But this does not work.

I also attempted to make a TTS notify in my config YAML:

notify:
  - platform: tts
    name: notify_loft
    tts_service: tts.google_cloud
    media_player: media_player.loft_speakers

Then configure the card as follows:

target: notify_loft

But this does not work either.

Even easier I think.

you need to make a tablet being able to receive the tts command.

Im doing that using LANnouncer - Home Assistant

I just noticed that Supervisor reports about running an unsuported installationā€¦

## You are running an unsupported installation

Below is a list of issues found with your installation, click on the links to learn how you can resolve the issues.

* [systemd_resolved](https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/systemd_resolved)

What should I do? I have not changed anything on the OS level. I would rather not do a complete OS reinstallā€¦

I had the same thing yesterday, after updating the supervisor to the newest version everything is ok again.

1 Like

Is something up with 2022.3.4? It is on the HA website, and has been at least 8 hours (I saw it yesterday but saved the update overnight)

However updating is not available in the ui or commandline and using the new ā€œcheck for updatesā€ returns nothing.

The version integration json hasnā€™t been updated:
https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json
(it only shows 2022.3.3 as available at the moment of posting)

Amusingly, the deprecated updater integration json shows the updated core:
https://www.home-assistant.io/version.json
(shows 2022.3.4 right now)

Uhm, sorry, but what to do. Running 2022.3.3 here and no information about newer versions.

Wait for them to fix the data at https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json. If it doesnā€™t show up there in your browser, then it wonā€™t be seen by your Home Assistant install either.

1 Like

Relax and enjoy the last of summer.

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t seem to be tagged/available on Docker hub, either.