2022.3: Select and play media

no, default_config contains media_source

1 Like

Have you ever been able to cast to your LG tv through home assistant?

I never knew I needed this “default_config” add it and now I can select media

thank you

Don’t just add default_config if you have a configuration prior to default_config. You’ve been around long enough that you might have overlap. Consult the documentation for defualt_config and verify you want all those configurations added.

Never really tried, but it does come up as an option to be able too. my comment was more generic I can cast from my android phone

Ok, well you can only cast to devices that home assistant can cast to, your media player will know if it can be cast to. That message in your issue is basically saying “You can’t do this”. You won’t be able to do that for every media player, especially if the integration doesn’t support it.

I.e. the device may support it, but that doesn’t mean home assistant’s integration to the device supports it.

Okay good to know,
I wasn’t able to use the new media select automation at all, when I selected my cast device I was told they weren’t supported.

this seems to be because didn’t have the default or media in my config, adding Media_source has given me this functionality

Yes, that makes sense. But I’m just telling you about your next potential hurdle.

1 Like

We already supported local media and things like Spotify,

Is there something wrong with my install, as I’ve never been able to get it to play Spotify. Integration is setup and functional, and when it is already in use I can use it to control what is playing. But I can never get HA to initiate playback. This release’s focus on media (and specific mentions of Spotify) had me hoping that this was a potential fix. But Spotify is (on my install at least), not a supported media source

1 Like

MPD and AirPlay (AirPort Express) speakers don’t work with the media player, resulting in no way to do TTS on these without a manual service call. In fact, the only thing that does work are Go*gle speakers.

And Kodi :slight_smile:

I noticed this morning that the left menu bar looked skew on my monitor since updating to the latest release “Release 2022.3.8 - March 29”.
It seems to be only related to Lovelace panels, which are also displayed skewed. It’s not a big deal, everything sill works and functions fine, just a bit weird to look at initially

If I go to the Energy tab, and refresh, all is straight, left menu bar included

Did you see the note at the top of the forums today?
I guess that might be the “wonkyness” mentioned.

If your dashboard looks a bit wonky today

Update card-mod.
I’m sorry. I thought it seemed like an innocent and fun idea, and I was wrong.
/ Thomas Lovén

(If problems persist, it could be other plugins that include card-mod, like minimalist-ui)

ah, missed that note

Thanks, updated card-mod, now back to normal

or even better, a way to run a specific trigger instead of just the actions.

Am I wrong, or was the name of the default mdi-icon displayed before the update to the new imput boxes?

Only if I set it, the name is displayed

Independently of the question above: How can I see, which name is behind this default symbol?

Is there anything special required for “incompatible” RTSP camera sources to show as compatible in the Media Source > Camera menu?

My setup uses UniFi Protect, and while I have the WebRTC add-in installed, I have duplicate cameras that show up through the native UniFi Protect integration using RTSP and an option that uses the WebRTC method.

What’s interesting is that 1 of my cameras using the RTSP method shows up in the media source as compatible, but I haven’t yet figured out why the other 10 are showing as incompatible. My configuration has both default_config and stream included.

I think the main requirement is that it can stream HLS, so the attribute frontend_stream_type should be hls.

I have two MusicCast devices which show up OK, but I can’t select them as renderers in the media browser. My Chromecasts show up, but not the MusicCast devices. Should this work?

1 Like

When “playing” a (Lovelace) dashboard to a google-cast device, is there a way to use a theme and or resolution? I successfully cast a dashboard/view to my Sony Bravia tv (google cast entity).