2023.12: Welcome home!

I just added the logs to my previous post. Perhaps see if your system was reporting the same.

No such file or directory: ā€˜/dev/ttyACM1ā€™

At a guess, the device name has moved. Maybe due to a kernel update or something, or a timeout.

dmesg is a useful command, eg

dmesg|grep tty

After the below, there is a heap of other info about IDā€™sā€¦ not sure if thatā€™s helpful to post or not.

Sorry, couldnā€™t figure out how to copy/ paste the text from the web browser terminal window.

I actually have 3 USB devices connected and after the reboot, all are working. (Conbee2, Aeotec Z-Stick 5, Google Coral)

1 Like

Thanks! Updating a dozen cards and now itā€™s usable, Iā€™d have personally recommended that as the default stateā€¦

Hello!
Is it possible to disable showing user profiles on log in page for local network in HA 2023.12 ?

I use external server as virtual hosting via SSH-tunnel because I have no external static IP. So when I log in from outside my home network my HA detects it as local and uses Local Auth Provider.

1 Like

did anyone also notice an error like:

/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/aiocoap/transports/tinydtls.py:166: UserWarning: DTLS module did not shut down the DTLSSocket perfectly; it still tried to call _write in vain warnings.warn("DTLS module did not shut down the DTLSSocket "

to show multiple times, and logged by multiple components?
I get these on
components/plugwise/coordinator.py:69
components/unifi/controller.py:377
util/yaml/loader.py:297
helpers/debounce.py:149

while I had always only seen the DTLS errors in Ikea tradfri, and because of that linked it to the failing integration. Apparently this is not specifically related to Tradfri at allā€¦

so not solved at allā€¦

Today i upgraded from 2023.12.0 to the latest version. It is using a lot more memory.
i am runnig HASS in a proxmox VM. Also did a complete reboot after the update. Reverted back to version 2023.12.0

I find the new thermostat cards too easy to change on the mobile Android app. If Iā€™m scrolling through a dashboard with the thermostat card on it, I have frequently changed the set temperature inadvertently just by trying to scroll.

3 Likes

How exactly did switching the current and target temperature on the climate card provide the best experience for the larger part of users? I keep asking for an explanation that lead to this changeā€¦ havenā€™t got one argument so farā€¦ A lot of people are complaining about this. If Iā€™m forced into making a custom card for something that is common sense (at least in my opinion), Iā€™d at least like to hear the reason why

9 Likes

Telling people to go elsewhere is the exact opposite of helpful. If you have nothing constructive to offer in response, why respond at all? This issue comes up often enough in many places throughout this forum with many people in agreement, yet the responses are so frequently derisive and dismissive.

If one of the goals is to expand the user base, then removing pain points for casual users must move up the priority list. Even for advanced users, there are times when the continuous cycle of updates is annoying or a time waster. Right now, the only option is to either repeatedly skip updates or to disable updates entirely. A UI option to pause updates for a given time, or to only offer an update to the final patch version of the previous months release rather than every single release would be a great start.

And before you respond with more ā€œgo code it yourselfā€, I donā€™t have the time to invest in learning the code base. But the people who work at Nabu Casa and are being paid to do this should take heed that really growing the user base requires a more manageable update cycle for the casual user.

Given all the effort put into producing the software components needed to replace Google and Alexa speakers, Home Assistant is well positioned to begin capturing more of the user base that has been put off by the degredation of those ecosystemsā€“but not without a strong focus on reducing the maintenance burden. Maybe that means splitting updates which change essential functionality into 3- or 6-month cycles while keeping the monthly non-breaking updates. Maybe it means some other approach. Either way, Iā€™d really encourage all of the devsā€“paid and otherwiseā€“to start accepting feedback with a little more grace.

13 Likes

For what itā€™s worth; I am seeing the same errors with Zigbee2MQTT. I had to do a restore back to 2023.11.3 to restore it. I did two reboots and 2 separate Home Assistant restarts without any luck, before the restore.

Sadly I didnā€™t have a chance to troubleshoot it more as this was a major hit to the family approval factor. I might try again this weekend.

You can already skip updates in the UI, if you install the latest one on the last day of every month, you will accomplish what you are trying to do without any coding at all.

Maybe ā€œIgnoreā€ should reset with each new version.

it does

Do you have history graphs? I had some dashboards that we lagging before and stop after delete those cards using the IOS app.

The day this happens Iā€™ll eat my hat.

2 Likes

My comment was to point out that other projects have a much slower release cycle, but it is still a pain point for users. Very much so by all accounts.

1 Like

The analogy with Windoze device driver updates is better with integrations, you usually can update an integration without having to update HA core. However, at some point you do. And this is not a discussion about semantics. Personally, I would rather wait 6 months for core updates while accepting security/essential (non functionality affecting) changes would be more frequent.

Yes, same for me. I created an issue already during beta testing, core dev did already improvements (thank you!), but not yet perfect. Biggest problem, after unintentional change, you do not know your previous setting any more. Maybe this round slider is not the best choice.

Had also big zha issues. I did several reconfigurations, migrations, etc. And after two days it was working again. No clue why.

Itā€™s not. See this and this other forum topics discussing the security problem this new feature poses.

Also, this GitHub issue that was shut down.

There have also been filed at least two private vulnerability reports.

All has been dismissed by the devs for the reason that Home Assistant now considers all private IP address trusted.

4 Likes