2023.2: How can I Assist?

I tried the navigation to ?conversation=1 but it does not open the assist pop up

Make sure you add that to the end of the dashboard path like the example in the link. For example /lovelace/home?conversation=1

1 Like

I did: /lovelace-pragrhouse/home?conversation=1 yet it just do nothing. It only adds the ?conversation=1 to the url but thats all

what update was made to modbus???

I didnt see anything in the release notes

its working for me in 2023.1, have yet to update my prod instance at the moment. Sounds like a bug if its not working as the feature was added in the last HA core release.

When something is trendy, everyone jumps the bandwagon, no matter how useful/useless that thing is. It looks to me like a huge waste of resources for the people behind HA. Yeah, Google Et al. can play with such things as much as they want, given their (almost) unlimited amount of money and workforce they can throw in for anything. I may be biased, since English is not my native language and I live in a non-English speaking country, which, for one thing, sometimes gives trouble to the voice assistants because of my accent and, for another thing, makes it a little weird to shout commands in English all over the place. But is also a matter of efficiency. I think that currently the assistants need a too great amount of detail to fulfill a task. I would say that “hey Google, turn on that specific light in that specific room and adjust color to something and brightness to other thing” definitely takes more time than reaching for the phone and doing it by yourself. If you’re like me, it’s even worse, you may have to say it twice or get a totally undesired result. All in all, this is just a personal opinion which I hope will not offend any of the developers.

8 Likes

Haven’t had the error since last night, but this morning update 2023.2.1 appeared which I started installing and is stuck on it for a few hours now. Things seem to be getting worse

I just updated my MariaDB (but I don’t use docker-compose I just use Portainer and recreate the container with the latest image) and didn’t need to do anything but pull the latest image and everything seems to still be working.

Note that I haven’t updated HA yet. Still on 2023.1.5 but the DB still seems to be working after the MariaDB update.

hopefully this info helps.

I tend to agree… first of all, this voice commands are best in English language, which is logical, since it’s developed in English speaking country. Not all of us speak english… so, now whole year there will be only voice developing and all other stuff “put behind” ? I’m old fashioned and i generally don’t talk with “dead stuff”, only with breading species :slight_smile: But that’s just me… This energy would be well better spent in answering some of old requests, requested by many… just one of them is, say, reorganizing automations. It’s requested by well over 1000 people, but still nothing is done in this regard.
Generally i can’t get rid of the feeling that HA’s dev team is “driving it’s own way” no matter what users wish…
Like this last breaking change of SQL, which was pretty suprising… Such big thing SHOULD be well warned in advance, not only small sentence down below in “all changes” section. Or, there should be at least some transition period with warnings in HA.

Another thing: ESPHome: suddenly i’m stuck with 30+warnings that i must update my devices. WHY, if they are working fine? I’m more like “if it’s not broken, don’t fix it” person. OK, api key is more secure than password. But i don’t need more secure, all my esp’s are in local network only, so password is more than enough secure for me… Sure, i can ignore warning, but that only hides it from HA’s screen, while update sensor still shows update needed…

What i’m trying to say is just: please, listen to people a bit more what they wish…

10 Likes

Hiya, you sound like you’re at my level :slight_smile:

Go to Settings / Add ons / Maria DB, check that you’re running v 2.5.2 (you should be if you’ve kept MariaDB updated), if so you’re golden

Thanks for the hint. Although I only have approx 600MB the update to 2.5.2 took some time.

Upgrade from 2012.12 to 2023.2 went smooth … kudos to the developers.

1 Like

Watching my Database Memory and CPU Use helped me know when it was over

1 Like

" ESPHome is deprecating the old password-based authentication for its API in favor of the more secure encryption key. If one of your ESPHome devices is still using a plain password, Home Assistant will notify you by creating an issue in your Repairs dashboard."

What would be really useful is a clear set of instructions on how to resolve this. What do we need to replace and how, without crippling our ESPHome devices with experiments…

Could you link the notes above to this article
2023.2: ESPHome deprecated API password: how to update to encryption key - ESPHome - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Or even link it from the notification in the dashboard?

3 Likes

What a great release and special thanks you for the EnergyZero integration!

I’m currently using Nord Pool for hourly energy prices and a custom REST call to the energyzero API for daily gas prices.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem possible to add VAT or other static pricing to the EnergyZero prices visible in Home Assist (unless creating new sensors and calculating them multiple times). Am I wrong?

The change has an impact on SQL sensors though — I’ve had to go looking to work out why one of my sensors stopped working, and have fielded a couple of related questions [1], [2].

Unless you’re suggesting SQL sensors from the HA database are discouraged? Looks much harder to solve my requirement through the history API, for example.

I do agree. Bet even worse; its about Home Automation, not remote controling. I use HA to automate my home, so I almost never have to touch it or talk to it :wink:

2 Likes

I have my database corrupted and lost all history. Luckily I had a backup from yesterday.
I had just a bit more than 1gb of free disk space available and now, after restore, it consumes all of it.
It is probably why it got corrupted. Looking back, I had to have 10gb of free disk space (my partition did grow from 44gb to 54gb.

So reminder/warning: make sure you have enough disk space left!

1 Like

Then I guess you won’t be worried about it.

1 Like

not worried, but a bit wondered

Great update, can’t wait to see what the future brings us in the voice-area.
Am I the only one that always gets an <empty response> response, when talking to the Assist? Can’t do anything with it.