2023.4: Custom template macros, and many more new entity dialogs!

You can share your theme and top bar settings to the bottom border ?
I had the top bar moved down for a few years, but after the HA 2023.4 update it went back up and I have no idea how to get it back down.

i also get the same. in addition to that, i get black block at the bottom and when i reload the page at first i dont any chips at the top of the page.

Where is the side bar menu?

Iā€™ve read this blog and I can see that there is a problem with the companion app for swiping right for the menu BUT i get the same issue using Edge. I have hide the side bar on in my profile so how do I get to the menus?

If I try Chrome and log in, the menu is there but as soon as I hide it in Profiles for that login I canā€™t get it back. I am running out of browsers!

What am I missing?

And therefore I canā€™t backup or re-instate or upgrade orā€¦ anything.

Just updated to 2023.4.1.

I am seeing this in the log:

2023-04-07 22:00:28.055 ERROR (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.models.context] Error converting ulid adapt_lgt:b'Z&SB':interval:b'76' to bytes: ULID must be a 26 character string: adapt_lgt:b'Z&SB':interval:b'76'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/models/context.py", line 19, in ulid_to_bytes_or_none
    return ulid_to_bytes(ulid)
  File "src/ulid_transform/_ulid_impl.pyx", line 22, in ulid_transform._ulid_impl._ulid_to_bytes
ValueError: ULID must be a 26 character string: adapt_lgt:b'Z&SB':interval:b'76'
2023-04-07 22:01:57.874 ERROR (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.models.context] Error converting ulid adapt_lgt:b'Z&SB':interval:b'7X' to bytes: ULID must be a 26 character string: adapt_lgt:b'Z&SB':interval:b'7X'
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/models/context.py", line 19, in ulid_to_bytes_or_none
  File "src/ulid_transform/_ulid_impl.pyx", line 22, in ulid_transform._ulid_impl._ulid_to_bytes
ValueError: ULID must be a 26 character string: adapt_lgt:b'Z&SB':interval:b'7X'
2023-04-07 22:01:58.029 ERROR (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.models.context] Error converting ulid adapt_lgt:b'Z&SB':interval:b'7X' to bytes: ULID must be a 26 character string: adapt_lgt:b'Z&SB':interval:b'7X'
ValueError: ULID must be a 26 character string: adapt_lgt:b'Z&SB':interval:b'7X'

EDIT: Found related github issue: MariaDB/Recorder issue after updating to 2023.4 Ā· Issue #91019 Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub .

EDIT2: Usually I update HACS components before upgrading. I didnā€™t, but I should have. I restarted HA, then updated the components, problem gone. Probably related to Adaptive Lighting.

Thx. Will run it now.
Update seems still be active, recorder still not running.

Sure can: šŸŸ£ Rounded - Dashboard guide

@arifroni, I had the same. It was because of an older custom button-card version. Updating it will fix the empty space at the bottom.

1 Like

Post 39: ā€œIt is in breaking changes. You just may not realize it.ā€
Post 72: ā€œSuper hoping this is a temporary feature loss with the complete removal of polymer?ā€
Post 94: "WARNING: Polymer will be removed from window in Home Assistant 2023.5.
Post 118: ā€œWARNING: Polymer will be removed from window in Home Assistant 2023.5.ā€

So, which post tells me what is Polymer and why should I care?

somehow I get the feeling youā€™re pulling my legā€¦

but, letā€™s put it this way: If you donā€™t see the warning in Inspector, you neednā€™t care.

btw, If you really want to know, thereā€™s a link in the Blogpost to the Polymer library. Maybe you didnt spend the 2 minutes to actually read it?

1 Like

To be fair it is in the section of the blog that starts with ā€˜If you are a custom integration developerā€™

1 Like

Any idea how to repair the alexa / cloud integration after release change? Integration now longer works. Alexa cant reach the devices any longer. Home Assistant cant manage the integration also, the manage entities page keeps loading forever.

1 Like

i have version 3.5 of button card but it doesnā€™t solve the black bar problem.

Same here. The entity states are in english (before is in Portuguese) and the rest os the UI is in Portuguese.
Any solution?

1 Like

Never had problems with new releases before but ever since 2023.4.1 my HA keeps restarting at different intervals. Iā€™m running on a Thinclient, Proxmox with HA in container. Hopefully it will be fixed.

Please look through your logs for issues and errors and fix or report them to github. Donā€™t assume things will be fixed especially when we donā€™t have reported issues.

Introducing global macros is a real feature.
Updated my observations regarding using macros.
Macros may be used in configuration (for template sensors, for instance), in Lovelace (for cards supporting jinjia, for card-mod), in blueprints, in Dev tools->template.

Hi Petro,

Thanks, I know. Just a bit busy at the moment. But I found a couple of errors in the log that I will Google first:

> Logger: homeassistant.components.lovelace
> Source: components/lovelace/__init__.py:115
> Integration: Dashboards ([documentation](https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/lovelace), [issues](https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22integration%3A+lovelace%22))
> First occurred: 14:31:43 (1 occurrences)
> Last logged: 14:31:43
> 
> Lovelace is running in storage mode. Define resources via user interface
> 
> and:
> Ended unfinished session (id=222 from 2023-04-08 12:30:18.271400)
> 
> 14:31:45 ā€“ (WAARSCHUWING) Recorder
> 
> The system could not validate that the sqlite3 database at //config/home-assistant_v2.db was shutdown cleanly
> 
> 14:31:45 ā€“ (WAARSCHUWING) Recorder

hmm, restart is picky todayā€¦

2023-04-08 15:13:42.578 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.handler] Timeout on /homeassistant/restart request
2023-04-08 15:15:11.776 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timed out waiting for shutdown stage 1 to complete, the shutdown will continue
2023-04-08 15:15:11.779 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Shutdown stage 1: still running: <Task pending name='Task-108068' coro=<async_enable_report_state.<locals>.report_states() running at /usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/google_assistant/report_state.py:43> wait_for=<_GatheringFuture pending cb=[Task.task_wakeup()]> cb=[set.remove()]>

Hi,
this is sad:

I lost my db after upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1
No more energy history for meā€¦

1 Like

OK - my fault - sorry for the original post.

I use card-mod in my Themes to hide the menu button and I had forgotten. Doh!
But it is a shame the right swipe has gone because before you could have a minimal header and still get to the menu by the right swipe.

1 Like

After 2023.4.1 update, I had many log errors like this:

2023-04-08 14:57:05.933 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.util.logging] Exception in _async_process_device_data when dispatching 'device_tracker_connected_device_registered': ({'ip': '', 'mac': '40:62:31:08:fd:11', 'host_name': None},)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/dhcp/__init__.py", line 376, in _async_process_device_data
self.async_process_client(ip_address, hostname, _format_mac(mac_address))
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/dhcp/__init__.py", line 157, in async_process_client
made_ip_address = make_ip_address(ip_address)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/ipaddress.py", line 54, in ip_address
raise ValueError(f'{address!r} does not appear to be an IPv4 or IPv6 address')
ValueError: '' does not appear to be an IPv4 or IPv6 address
2023-04-08 14:57:06.010 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.event] Error while processing event <Event state_changed[L]: entity_id=device_tracker.brother_mfc_8890dw, old_state=None, new_state=<state device_tracker.brother_mfc_8890dw=home; source_type=router, ip=, mac=00:1b:a9:17:b3:5a, is_guest=False, note=, name=Brother MFC-8890DW, oui=BrotherI, friendly_name=Brother MFC-8890DW RX Brother MFC-8890DW @ 2023-04-08T10:57:05.950002-04:00>> for domain device_tracker
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/event.py", line 431, in _async_dispatch_domain_event
hass.async_run_hass_job(job, event)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 593, in async_run_hass_job
hassjob.target(*args)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/dhcp/__init__.py", line 318, in _async_process_device_event
self._async_process_device_state(event.data["new_state"])
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/dhcp/__init__.py", line 338, in _async_process_device_state
self.async_process_client(ip_address, hostname, _format_mac(mac_address))
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/dhcp/__init__.py", line 157, in async_process_client
made_ip_address = make_ip_address(ip_address)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/ipaddress.py", line 54, in ip_address
raise ValueError(f'{address!r} does not appear to be an IPv4 or IPv6 address')
ValueError: '' does not appear to be an IPv4 or IPv6 address

All of them have ValueError: '' does not appear to be an IPv4 or IPv6 address. While each of the message make reference to a components/dhcp, I donā€™t see a DHCP integration so I suspect this is from my UniFi Network Integration.