2023.4: Custom template macros, and many more new entity dialogs!

The amount of users that keeps adding identical issues to several custom cards that needed (and received ) updates for this release or keep adding ‘yes for me too it is still broken ‘ is staggering.

Seems there is a new wave of users not used to updating custom resources, and who won’t search how to update their own config, but simply throw in the ‘ it does not work ‘.

Not sure why I post that here, but having tried to help more than a few, I guess I’ve lost inspiration to search through completely irrelevant and huge card configs, or none at all ;—)

Maybe we should have a small pinned post here in the community with a tiny guide how to ‘break cache’ on those custom resources.

So we can point all of these posters to it and be done with it.

End rant.

2 Likes

First time I’ve ever had safe mode after upgrading to this release.
I have no idea whats causing the issue as when I try to look at the log I get this error…

failed to get logs, r is undefined

Can’t check the log to see what the problem is. I’ve checked the breaking changes but I’m lost.

Particularly with the ubiquitousness of HACS and the easy updates it offers.

2 Likes

I must say in their defence that if they use IOS it often happens that a js resource is sticky like hell. I reported an issue on a card a month ago and I had upgraded the component but it still failed. The dev told me to check my version and it was shown correctly in HACS but with further help I found that Safari was still holding on to the version. Clearing the cache is all or nothing and that makes your next month on the net miserable.

The fix when that happens is to enter the direct URL to the resource. And then reload it. That finally makes it update the cache. It happens rarely but it happens often enough to be a pain in the…

2 Likes

Well. I reduced my number of days from 730 to 90 to 30. The reasons were basically ignorance but also reflection. I took initially 2 years to compare year on year. But you only need macro info for that not micro. So I thought let’s take a quarter. But even that when I reflected I never look back more then a month. So I finally decided 30 days. No rocket science.

3 Likes

I’ve taken this concept to the extreme. I only keep 4 days in Recorder. And even there, I exclude the majority of my entities, especially those which are “chatty” and experience frequent state changes.

For me, the ideal would be to be able to set the appropriate retention period for each entity individually, but unless and until that happens, I find it convenient to just save the data I want to keep long-term in a text file in CSV format which I can store, analyze and otherwise use external to HA.

3 Likes

Do you think that’s what is causing my issue?

Thanks, bdraco

I appreciate the motivation behind the repair message and the acknowledgement that a little refinement is required. It’s never straightforward to parse SQL without a tokenizer or parser… People may have aliased the table name too :slight_smile:

Looking forward to be able to use these sensors again. The entities appear to have vanished from my setup since the repairs were added.

I marked the repairs as fixed. I reloaded the integration but the entities have not become available.

No, but it does make me wonder what version and installation method of HA you are on.

In the mean time you can avoid the issue by renaming the view to not have entity_id in it if you don’t want to wait for 2023.4.3

1 Like

What’s up with many people switching back from MariaDB to SQLite?

Is there any structural or fundamental issues with MariaDB on 2023.4.x?

When I started HA, I watched few YouTube videos and many suggested to use MariaDB for performance reasons mainly. Is that no longer true?

As far as I understand it:

The performance advantage is pretty much moot now.

However there are still some advantages to having the DB decoupled from HA. You don’t have to wait for the DB to initialise when restarting HA as it runs in its own container. Also you can stop it before making a full backup to ensure there is no chance of data corruption.

Another thing is that I have more than one database in the MariaDB add-on. As well as Home Assistant it keeps my centralised Kodi DB too.

1 Like

Hey Sian, Petro!
Thank you so much! Just discovered not_from and changed my code.
Have a nice day

1 Like

I’m doing exactly the same (already got my SSD). Slightly complicated as my HA is on a Pi4 but running 32 bit and I intend to go to 64 bit as part of my move to an SSD.

Even IOS is easily done: always use the reset Frontend cache in the app settings /error tracking menu.

I can’t understand after all of those years this is not common knowledge.

It is not like we have never needed to update a resource before?

The tricky bit there is the mutual exclusion of these to/from settings.

It’s easy to use when you don’t need another to or from state to trigger off.

If you do however, the conditions are the only way to do so.

1 Like

That and also a sequence which uses an if/else condition which might choose a different action based on previous state etc.

Good job, thanks! :bowing_man:

You assume ios is the app. I talk about Safari. Safari supports multiple tabs so I personally use that mostly on my iPad. On my iPhone the app is the preferred.

Or just have 2 triggers with trigger IDs