2023.6: Network storage, favorite light colors, new integrations dashboard

I have a supervised on RaspiOS and the feature is not avail.
os-agent is running.

I am not a fan of the way HA is handling network shares for backups. It sounded really promising hearing it was getting added but it seems to work exactly the same way as the current Samba Backups Add-on from thomasmauerer. That is, the backup is created on the HA system disk first then copied to the share only after it completed successfully.

The issue I find with this is two-fold.
First, if there are any issues with the initial backup, such as running out of space, the backup fails and halts. This means if you are already experiencing any issues you can not itilize your network share for backups anyway.
Second, if youā€™re using something like a Pi with an SD Card (which a lot of people are!) you should be doing everything you can to lower the writes to that system drive to decrease wear.

I would really like to see this changeā€¦ at a minimum have a option when you select Change default backup location for where it actually creates the backup in the new location entirely. More options, such as a fallback location incase of a failure, would be even better so that if the share fails it can still try and make a backup on the system disk.

4 Likes

But is os-agent up to date?

What you mean ?

Reading the release notes:
ā€œā€¦ but are available for use by integrations ā€¦ā€
ā€œā€¦ They are so new that no integrations are using them yet, but you can expect to see usage in (custom) integrations of these soon! ā€¦ā€
Itā€™s only available for integrations, not in your automations.

I just want to second this observation. The new feature is apparently no better than any of the add-ons which copy the already-created backup file from the local device to the remote storage.

It is disappointing that a feature with so much potential was apparently implemented with such a glaring oversight. I hope it can be improved in the future.

Iā€™ve just upgraded and the custom integration Daily Sensor no longer works. I use it to get the daily max/min for my temperature sensors. Is there a ā€œbetterā€ way of doing this without using a custom integration? Thanks

Bad form to reply to your own post I know but this provides a fix, albeit not ideal.

I guess so:

dpkg -l os-agent
 <snip>
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-
ii  os-agent:arm64 1.4.1        arm64        Home Assistant OS Agent

oooh. good point!
did not remember that supervised has no auto-update.
just upgraded os-agent to version 1.5.1.

butā€¦ still
ā€œThe operating system does not support network storage
Network storage is not supported on this hostā€

nevertheless, I run periodical backups thanks to the supervised install, which let me manipulate filesystem easily in the way I like.

Is anyone else having issues with picture-glance cards that display cameras?

Since moving to 2023.6, the cards are displaying the broken camera image:

This is only when the picture-glance camera_view is set to auto.

In the console, there are a bunch of errors about the camera proxy not working:

GET https://[hass url]:8123/api/camera_proxy/camera.[camera name]?authSig=[the auth signature] returns 500(Internal Server Error).

If I go to just that URL in a browser, I get 403 Forbidden error? But if I click on the image, then the live camera feed works fine?

Quite confused!

Itā€™ll require a reboot (not just HA restart).

Also I am still not sure whether it is the os-agent or homeassistant-supervised (or both) that you need the latest version of.

Sounds like something that could be done with a trigger based template sensor. I suggest you start a new topic in the Installation category. We have some Jinja Ninjas that love this kind of challenge, but it would be a lot of noise in a release forum topic so make a new topic. I will follow with interest and can also provide some examples I use. It is always nice to avoid custom components if the standard features actually support what you need

2 Likes

Reboot is pretty fast on my CM4 so I usually go for it.

also upgraded supervisor, but still not supported

How do I access the new media player provided via the Android TV Remote integration? I only see 1 entity under the integration.

Iā€™m getting this error repeatedly, when trying to update.

Logger: homeassistant.core
Source: components/hassio/update.py:260
First occurred: June 14, 2023 at 9:47:58 PM (6 occurrences)
Last logged: 1:05:36 AM

Error executing service: <ServiceCall update.install (c:01H2X025DPJ7YS95AE5BV4N2R2): entity_id=['update.home_assistant_supervisor_update'], backup=False>
Error executing service: <ServiceCall update.install (c:01H2X0QX40EWSC0G6NJY61JQHV): entity_id=['update.home_assistant_supervisor_update'], backup=False>
Error executing service: <ServiceCall update.install (c:01H2X0V6QF7C3RRTJEDHVHCP84): entity_id=['update.home_assistant_supervisor_update'], backup=False>
Error executing service: <ServiceCall update.install (c:01H2X6W9NT155QEJS1SWMK48G8): entity_id=['update.home_assistant_supervisor_update'], backup=False>
Error executing service: <ServiceCall update.install (c:01H2X709JEGA013EVHBM29TQJZ): entity_id=['update.home_assistant_supervisor_update'], backup=False>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 258, in async_install
    await async_update_supervisor(self.hass)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 52, in _wrapper
    raise HassioAPIError(data["message"])
homeassistant.components.hassio.handler.HassioAPIError: Update of Supervisor failed: Can't install ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:2023.06.2: 500 Server Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.42/images/create?tag=2023.06.2&fromImage=ghcr.io%2Fhome-assistant%2Famd64-hassio-supervisor&platform=linux%2Famd64: Internal Server Error ("Get "https://ghcr.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup ghcr.io: no such host")

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1928, in catch_exceptions
    await coro_or_task
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1950, in _execute_service
    await cast(Callable[[ServiceCall], Awaitable[None]], handler.job.target)(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 226, in handle_service
    await service.entity_service_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 811, in entity_service_call
    future.result()  # pop exception if have
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 1034, in async_request_call
    await coro
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 851, in _handle_entity_call
    await result
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 156, in async_install
    await entity.async_install_with_progress(version, backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 417, in async_install_with_progress
    await self.async_install(version, backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 260, in async_install
    raise HomeAssistantError(
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Error updating Home Assistant Supervisor: Update of Supervisor failed: Can't install ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:2023.06.2: 500 Server Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.42/images/create?tag=2023.06.2&fromImage=ghcr.io%2Fhome-assistant%2Famd64-hassio-supervisor&platform=linux%2Famd64: Internal Server Error ("Get "https://ghcr.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup ghcr.io: no such host")

having reliability issues lately with my m5stack-atom-echo, I suddenly realize it might be 2023.6ā€¦? can anyone else confirm theyā€™re seeing this more often than not:

Logger: aioesphomeapi.connection
Source: runner.py:179 
First occurred: 07:54:21 (79 occurrences) 
Last logged: 09:09:47

m5stack-atom-echo-a82d10 @ 192.168.3.89: Connection error occurred: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer

I have already reinstalled the firmware on the echo using the esphome service in the add-on and the files all seem intact. the device is on the network, so that isnt it either. Even the add-on does not complain:

Pushing the button always returns a red led however, and the device is useless currently.

Did you upgrade succesfully? I reverted three backups now due the many log errors from ZHA

Yep. All seem to be working fine.

If you have docker, you can manually change the location of your config directory.