2023.8: Translated services, events, and wildcards!

Still logging here.

Did you exclude them from the logbook?

Nope. Nothing. I even manually added logging.

logbook:
  include:
    entities:
      - number.halli_iv_puhaltimien_nopeus

Restarted HA. Changed values. Still nothing. Switches etc. logging works as before. Using the very latest 2023.8.4.

I’m excluding “domains: automation” from recorder. Recorder is on mariadb.

That’s a number. I tested with an input_number.

Just to make sure I tested with a number entity. That logs correctly too.

Any relevant errors in your log?

I have another install at another location with similar settings and the logging works. Same version, both log into mariadb. So the issue is with this particular setup.

Plenty of errors, mostly relating to not having latest values available for templates immediately after reboot. The “page 2” not shown had only few inconsequential warnings. I’ll attempt to clean the templates up by returning unavailable etc. if values are not available. If you find anything of note I should focus on, feel free to guide me. Debugging this is… a challenge.

Interestingly, changes in the green are logged, but not the ones marked with orange. These have been logged in the past because I’ve always jumped to the correct/relevant automation through the logbook. I have plenty automations so it’s difficult to navigate to the correct one without logging enabled.

These values come from an ESPHome device. I’ve changed the values in HA, not through the device.

And looking into ESPHome code:

Doesn’t produce logs in HA:

number:
  - platform: template
    name: "Halli IV poistoilman nopeus"
    id: halli_iv_poistoilman_nopeus
    optimistic: false
    min_value: 0
    max_value: 80
    step: 1
    unit_of_measurement: "%"
    set_action:
      - output.set_level:
          id: halli_iv_poisto_signal
          level: !lambda return ((double)x/100);
      - lambda: |-
           id(halli_iv_poistoilman_nopeus).publish_state(x);

Logs normally:

number:
  - platform: template
    id: valve_override_value
    name: "Valve override value"
    optimistic: false
    min_value: 0
    max_value: 100
    step: 1
    set_action:
       - lambda: |-
           id(halli_iv_lammitysventtiili_signal).set_level(x/100);
           id(valve_override_value).publish_state(x);

I really can’t see what makes these different… why one gets logged and the other doesn’t.

EDIT: To be absolutely clear, it doesn’t log some/any native HA number helpers either. So nothing to do with ESPHome. Value history (= graph) is recorded normally.

EDIT EDIT:
Changes are visible in the SQL, assuming “event_data” is the right place to look at. So changes are recorded. This is for input number helper which does not show anything in the logbook:

{“domain”:“input_number”,“service”:“set_value”,“service_data”:{“value”:“0.3”,“entity_id”:“input_number.maalaamo_tvoc_raja_arvo_hysterisis”}}

I am running HA in a docker container. I just upgraded from 2023.7.3 to 2023.8.4 but get the error below which seems to be related to the new “translated services” addition in this release that adds translations for all services.

Unfortunately after that error message HA is stuck and does not continue to load. The integration that the error refers to (“mennekes”) actually doesn’t exist anymore in my installation.

I believe I may have had an integration with that name a long time ago but then removed it. I also can’t find it when trying to install a new one with that name?

I also do not have a custom integration with that name and I also can’t find a file with “mennekes” in its name (with find . -name “mennekes”) or even a file with the string “mennekes” (with fgrep -r “mennekes”) in my HA/config directory? But HA somewhere still seems to remember that an integration with the name “mennekes” existed and now with the new translated services addition HA tries to find it to apply the new translation services and gets stuck if it doesn’t find it?

As I said, unfortunately after that error msg HA gets stuck and does not continue to load so I had to go back to 2023.7.3 (where everything works just fine again). Seems like a bug?

Anyone with the same experience? Or a recommendation how to remove the issue i.e. the legacy information in HA about the zombie “mennekes” integration?

Thanks!

2023-08-27 16:11:49.172 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [548237125696] Error handling message: Unknown error (unknown_error) Display Panel from 192.168.2.100 (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS aarch64 13597.84.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/113.0.5672.95 Safari/537.36)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/decorators.py", line 26, in _handle_async_response
    await func(hass, connection, msg)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 417, in handle_get_services
    payload = await _async_get_all_descriptions_json(hass)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 398, in _async_get_all_descriptions_json
    descriptions = await async_get_all_descriptions(hass)
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 612, in async_get_all_descriptions
    translations = await translation.async_get_translations(
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/translation.py", line 318, in async_get_translations
    cached = await cache.async_fetch(language, category, components)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/translation.py", line 209, in async_fetch
    await self._async_load(language, components_to_load)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/translation.py", line 230, in _async_load
    raise int_or_exc
homeassistant.loader.IntegrationNotFound: Integration 'mennekes' not found.
2023-08-27 16:11:55.575 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [548184098240] Error handling message: Unknown error (unknown_error) Home Assistant Cast from 127.0.0.1 (Mozilla/5.0 (Fuchsia) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/116.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 CrKey/1.56.500000)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/decorators.py", line 26, in _handle_async_response
    await func(hass, connection, msg)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 417, in handle_get_services
    payload = await _async_get_all_descriptions_json(hass)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 398, in _async_get_all_descriptions_json
    descriptions = await async_get_all_descriptions(hass)
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 612, in async_get_all_descriptions
    translations = await translation.async_get_translations(
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/translation.py", line 318, in async_get_translations
    cached = await cache.async_fetch(language, category, components)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/translation.py", line 209, in async_fetch
    await self._async_load(language, components_to_load)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/translation.py", line 230, in _async_load
    raise int_or_exc
homeassistant.loader.IntegrationNotFound: Integration 'mennekes' not found.

browser_mod popups have been acting different since 2023.8.3

I’m creating a popup and trying to create a new one from within the first.
Usually the first popup closes and the new one appears, now nothing happens.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

With the update to 2023.8.4, my CPU usage increased from 10% to 70%, causing constant restarts and endless waiting times when switching pages and extremely delayed reactions of the entities. I gradually deactivated almost all add-ons, but that didn’t help much, the CPU load could only be reduced to 60%. Only a backup restore to version 2023.8.3 solved the problem and the CPU is back to the usual 10% and I was also able to reactivate all the add-ons without a deterioration in CPU utilization.

Anything relevant in your logs?

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with logs at all and do not know how I can read it for a certain period of time. I did the update four days ago and for the last four days I’ve only had these problems and before that I just installed the backup and thought I’d share my experience with the update. Sorry I can’t provide logs.

Can someone help me understand this? I’d love to upgrade and 2023.9.1 is around the corner, but I am still stuck with this zombie integration that does not have a translation and therefore HA does not start? Thanks so much!

You’ll have to remove the broken integration manually by deleting it from /config/custom_components/mennekes

1 Like

thanks @bdraco, I had looked there already, but unfortunately there is no custom integration “mennekes” in config/custom_components and also no directory “mennekes” anywhere in config/.

Where else could I look for this zombie? It must be a place that wasn’t looked at prior to 2023.8.1?

cd /config; grep -R mennekes .

1 Like

Ciao,

I use HomeKit to integrate with Bticino Legrand. The new Translated Events are really useful, unfortunately, the Home/Away Remote switch has two buttons and in the automations it’s possible to select only one.

Could you please help on this issue?

As written in the inital post:
I also do not have a custom integration with that name and I also can’t find a file with “mennekes” in its name (with find . -name “mennekes”) or even a file with the string “mennekes” (with fgrep -r “mennekes”) in my HA/config directory? But HA somewhere still seems to remember that an integration with the name “mennekes” existed and now with the new translated services addition HA tries to find it to apply the new translation services and gets stuck if it doesn’t find it?
Unfortunately no meaningful results here. I do have a modbus sensor that connects to a Mennekes wallbox which is called mennekes_amtron_xtr, so that of course shows up, but it is not an Integration and does not correspond to the error message: homeassistant.loader.IntegrationNotFound: Integration 'mennekes' not found.. This must be stored somewhere, but I am really puzeled where HA retrieves this zombie Integration from? And as I said, this is a new fatal error that came with 2023.8.x so something is checked there that causes this problem.

Great, more useless features, and still nothing to address BASIC functionality like: when a condition with "for " fails, there is no indication whatsoever as to whether it failed because insufficient time has passed, how much time is remaining, or whether something else made it fail. Or how about taddressing the inability to test conditions added as part of Actions ? Or how about letting me copy a condition and add it as part of an AND or OR condition, instead of forcing me to create is all over again ? Or how about letting me change and AND condition to an OR condition ? May I suggest the devs work on making Automation editing not be a complete PITA before adding shiny new doodads.

The features in this release may not be useful to you but there are plenty that do want them. It’s not all about you.

And yet you just asked for shiny new doodads to be implemented.

:thinking:

You can’t have it both ways.

Also a friendly piece of advice.

4 Likes

My guess would be that it hides itself in either the config/.storage/core.config_entries
Or in your HACS storage in config/custom_components
Or maybe there is a menneskes: hiding in your configuration.yaml file?

This has been sitting there ignored since May 2022. I have also brought it up on Discord. I have made a couple of other requests - for example, addressing the inability to test conditions in Actions, things that I would consider fundamental for a system designed around a trigger / condition / action model. The other feature request is also pretty basic - I have a sensor, it produces values, why is ther no way to use the average value in an automation ? Just saying, these are basic kind of usability topics, and should be prioritised in favour of adding new features which probably only affect a small fraction of users.