2023.9: New climate entity dialogs, lots of tile features, and template sensors from the UI!

no i mean after it was added🤓
there is no integration by the name ‘template’

but it does show under https:/my.ha.server/config/integrations/integration/template

It should be between Tasmota and WebRTC

Okay so it’s not just me, thought I was going crazy!

Yeah I tested it out and it seems to be having no effect either. Gonna dig under the hood a bit more before making a final call but I am suspecting something isn’t working as expected here. First I am going to completely remove and re-add the integration and see if that does anything, as well as try to sniff the API calls and see if they are being made and returning with the right parameters.

cool release,
Where I’m looking forward the most actually is what Jesse mentioned “LibreTiny” I have a few Tuya devices waiting around for me(for almost a year) to swap the chip with some “DT-LIGHT”.
And I hope now I don’t need to anymore because I really don’t like the soldering part.

Same for me.

Please could we have more links to the docs in these new release blog posts? The only thing I’ve been able to find so far is lawn mower. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

didn’t we see several posts fly by on laggy Frontend? I do experience that too, and wanted to +1 on those, but can not find them.

eg the new thermostat more-info, it takes seconds to show (I do have a more-info card_mod blur, but have that since forever, and didnt notice it to cause any delays before. maybe something else is going on?)

would appreciate some feedback.

guess is was this: Frontend Slowness/Chopiness · Issue #17796 · home-assistant/frontend · GitHub

supposed to be fixed, but maybe still happening. hmm, it’s really noticeable

I stopped filtering the frontend logs, restart, and buttery smooth. Then starts getting slow once more, and next I now see:

2023-09-07 21:03:58.279 ERROR (MainThread) [frontend.js.latest.202309061] Uncaught error from Safari 16.6 on Mac OS 10.15.7
TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'e[this.id]')
_keyFunction (src/components/data-table/ha-data-table.ts:362:56)
s (src/directives/repeat.ts:56:34)
t (src/directives/repeat.ts:94:6)
t (src/lit-html.ts:1085:33)
this (src/lit-html.ts:1362:29)
t (src/async-directive.ts:366:29)
this (src/virtualize.ts:139:22)
dispatchEvent ([native code]::)
_notifyRange (src/Virtualizer.ts:803:6)
_notifyRange (src/Virtualizer.ts:535:11)
2023-09-07 21:04:00.856 ERROR (MainThread) [frontend.js.latest.202309061] Uncaught error from Safari 16.6 on Mac OS 10.15.7
Script error.
null
@:0:0

and the vent is blowing away.

1 Like

And another question by me… anyone figured out how to use icons within a template sensor?

f.e:

##########################################
#        Period of the day               #
##########################################
- platform: template
  sensors:
    period_of_day:
      friendly_name: "period of the day"
      value_template: >-
        {% if (as_timestamp(states.sun.sun.attributes.next_dusk)) - (as_timestamp(states.sun.sun.attributes.next_setting)) < 0 %}
          dusk
        {% elif (as_timestamp(states.sun.sun.attributes.next_rising)) - (as_timestamp(states.sun.sun.attributes.next_dawn)) < 0 %}
          dawn
        {% elif (states.sun.sun.attributes.elevation) < 0 %}
          night
        {% else %}
          day
        {% endif %}
      icon_template: >-
        {% if (is_state('sensor.period_of_day', 'night')) %}
          mdi:weather-night
        {% elif (is_state('sensor.period_of_day', 'day')) %}
          mdi:weather-sunny
        {% elif (is_state('sensor.period_of_day', 'dusk')) %}
          mdi:weather-sunset-down
        {% elif (is_state('sensor.period_of_day', 'dawn')) %}
          mdi:weather-sunset-up
        {% endif %}

I had a similar issue right after the update (No response received, expected at least 8 bytes), however it was resolved after I did a full machine restart :thinking, running again now for 6 hrs :smiley:

You mean with the GUI version? You can’t do that with the GUI helper

Depends.
Currently I am not using UI for automations, helpers, template sensors.
As for integrations: some integrations now only have UI config - so I have to use UI config.
But I would choose yaml.
The reasons are:

• plenty of repeated code - using secrets and anchors;
  • main reason: using packages.

With UI config I cannot use packages. Period. So this is a huge loss in functionality for me.
So, in short - I will keep using yaml as long as possible.

4 Likes

Yeah I still see it too. It feels slower than it
Used to be. Especially when moving around by different dashboards. I still see the error in those pictures incidentially .

Guys, i have issues with the hassio and supervisor intergration, it takes a long while now when i restart? is this known?

2023-09-07 22:20:08.395 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Waiting on integrations to complete setup: hassio
2023-09-07 22:21:08.449 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Waiting on integrations to complete setup: hassio
2023-09-07 22:21:08.919 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry Supervisor for hassio
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 387, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/__init__.py", line 665, in async_setup_entry
    await coordinator.async_config_entry_first_refresh()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/update_coordinator.py", line 257, in async_config_entry_first_refresh
    await self._async_refresh(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/__init__.py", line 974, in _async_refresh
    await self.hassio.refresh_updates()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 37, in _wrapper
    data = await funct(*argv, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 540, in send_command
    request = await self.websession.request(
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/aiohttp/client.py", line 560, in _request
    await resp.start(conn)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/aiohttp/client_reqrep.py", line 899, in start
    message, payload = await protocol.read()  # type: ignore[union-attr]
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/aiohttp/streams.py", line 616, in read
    await self._waiter
asyncio.exceptions.CancelledError: Global task timeout
2023-09-07 22:21:08.928 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Setup timed out for stage 1 - moving forward

Go to Settings > System > Repairs, click the overflow menu (three vertical dots) and select “Integration startup time”.

The list shows all of the integrations that have been loaded (and how long it took to load them). You’ll notice that the list contains far more entries than in Settings > Devices & Services > Integrations.

For example, Automation is an integration, so is Template, Group, Input Boolean, etc. Each has a corresponding web page (like the URL you posted).

My guess is that there was a design decision made to only show integrations (in the Integrations page) where the user has control over their configuration (unlike, for example, the Automation and Template integrations which have no user-configurable options).

i have the exact same error as you, have you resolved it?

Yep it is. Depending on the error (500 on GitHub = ratelimit) it will be auto fixed sooner or later with a restart.

1 Like

a restart of what ? :slight_smile:

It’s not a problem in our systems or in 2023.9, I think it’s some weird random network issue somewhere. After recent HA restart the error is gone. But if I restart again, it probably will appear again…

1 Like

seems indeed lots of users are reporting it on github now, ok no worry then :slight_smile:

IMO if some communication issue happens (as CRC error timeout etc), HA stops querying modbus registers. It’s needed to to call service modbus restart. My previous version was 2023.8.2; it worked well.

Hmm…i see, but I don’t agree about the configuration; they are configurable:

My guess is that it is curently missing, and will (hopefully) come later :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah…I just found out…they are also mentioned under helpers, and can also be added there :smiley:

I was doing it under intergrations :thinking: