2023.9: New climate entity dialogs, lots of tile features, and template sensors from the UI!

another Frontend thingy. with all the development/attention having gone to the Tile cards features, why is the compactness of its original (mushroom) not imported? out of the main options we now seem to have in either core )tile and thermostat) and custom Mushroom remains the winner imho:

all three have the same new and shiny more-info, so thats not important for selecting either of these cards.
the original Thermostat shows all info, and the mushroom compresses that even further into a 1 height card.

its the tile card that stands out to be the card taking most space, and revealing least info… those full width sliders and buttons are a true waste of screen/card estate, makes me wonder if I do something wrong here?

or the one I prefer:

same would go for the

collapsible_controls: true

on light controls mushroom has, only opening up when on. that is so nice, can we please have it in HA too?

3 Likes

Very good point @Mariusthvdb! To be honest I was thinking the same after this release! A compact tile card mode would be so appreciating!

But BTW and related to this. Why is there so much space on mobile, which could be used, but the buttons are at the bottom in one singlehorzontal scroll row?

Compare to desktop, where it looks like this and does not need scrolling and seem:

Esp as the popup on desktop is smaller as the mobile view.

I have compact features in mind.
Features has been designed to be more flexible than mushroom controls. Because you can change the order for example and there is no limit for the number of features you can add. So it’s not easy to find a good UX to switch between these different features.

I don’t have yet a good solution to switch because 3 controls/features. For example inmushroom there are two buttons to switch between brightness, color and color temp for light card but the UX is not good enough to be on the tile card.

6 Likes

thanks Paul for chiming in, much appreciated!

its just that we all want to use core cards as much as possible, but your Mushroom makes it very difficult for us :wink:

not sure what your thoughts on ‘not good enough’ are, I find the UX rather satisfactory. If only for the completeness, showing all relevant numbers. As it stands we are obliged to click for the more-info to see the current And target.

at least add Show state…?

compare that to the climate entity in an entities card…

which provides us with all relevant info in a beautiful compact way (no form over function here)

Great to hear you’re on to add compact features, hope we get to test those anytime soon!
cheers

almost forgot: any thoughts on the Kelvin in the light slider? cant we keep that when not sliding in color temp mode?

2 Likes

Was there an unknown/unintended breaking change with the MyQ integration? After updating to this version, the MyQ integration fails to initialize. I tried deleting the integration and re-adding it, and it successfully signs into my account, but the integration continuously fails to initialize, even after full reboots.
After checking logs, the following is reported, so it’s possible it’s an issue on the MyQ side and not HA?

Config entry '{REDACTED EMAIL}' for myq integration not ready yet: Error requesting data from https://devices.myq-cloud.com/api/v5.2/Accounts/{REDACTED}/Devices: 403 - Forbidden; Retrying in background

Update: found I’m not the only one. Long thread on GitHub about this: MyQ fails with 403 forbidden error after recent cloud changes · Issue #99947 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

Having the same issue, restarting the full machine didn’t worked for me.

Haven’t investigated deeply but my Z-Wave network has been super flakey after this update. It’s never been flakey ever since the move to Z-Wave JS a couple years ago. I’m getting Z-Wave events that are verified as firing in the Developer Tools but that don’t trigger their automation. I’m getting light switches that don’t respond to HA. I’ve restarted the whole system twice and each time things have gone back to normal for a while. I’ll keep watching for patterns.

Z-Wave JS UI 1.15.9
HA 2023.9.1

This will get lost in this thread, suggest you post a separate question. But you will need more detail - your modbus config, and what you have tried (not “tried everything”!).

My Iammeters work OK in 2023.9, albeit there is an issue with comms dropping which stops the sensors working as it does not retry. Search for recent posts on modbus.

Lots of posts on this. Roll back from Z-Wave JS UI 1.15.9 to 1.15.8 for now.

Same for me, restarting the full machine didn’t worked for me. Had to go back to previous version too.

1 Like

theres also a new feature on the trigger templates: they’re counting twice now :wink:

somehow the response has been a bit low, making me wonder if people actually noticed/suffer the issue, or use this kind of trigger templates a lot, but it might be worth checking.
It was first noticed in the Heads up Persisten notifications thread, and another topic or here. Not yet really centralized yet, so here’s call to please check in your configs and +1 if indeed experienced

I see that there are Modbus changes in 9.1, probably in response to the problems. But it still doesn’t work for me. I wish I could help with the debug, but I have work to take care of.

See Lights' color-temperature slider indicates brightness rather than color temperature when idle · Issue #17870 · home-assistant/frontend · GitHub

1 Like

thanks, that’s it indeed, I’ve added my 2 cents, thanks for the ping

Hello. I think I checked everything. I set up another HA installation, restored it to version 8.4 from a backup and Iammeter works correctly, but immediately after installing 9, even though I add it again and it is detected, the data is “unknown”

It is also interesting that when I manually add modbus to the config, it only works for a few minutes

Same here, after restarting modbus it only works for a few minutes!

This ModBUS problem is a showstopper for me thus I don’t update at all anymore, until this is fixed.
Code review quality decreased dramatically lately. Changes are being released without proper testing.

There are 2551 core integrations. And countless third party integrations.

There is a very small team of beta release testers. They can not cover all combinations of all integrations. And while all core pull requests are reviewed before merging into the main/dev branch some issues do slip through.

If you would like to ensure the integrations you use are tested, please consider joining the beta testing team.

Issues with a beta release can usually be resolved by rolling back to the last major version (takes minutes at most via a simple command line command).

In case of a major crash (rarely happens with core releases nowadays) restore from backup takes 15 minutes or so at most depending on the size of your system.

Be part of the solution.

20 Likes