2024.1: Happy automating!

Another very good point. HA tends to attract those of us who like to tinker. It can be hard for us to resist trying out every new or interesting integration, add-on, protocol or device type. But each new component we add increases the complexity, and adds to the maintenance overhead required to keep all those things working and up to date.

1 Like

Don’t know why, but my SD card (in Raspberry Pi) is died when trying to upgrade to 2024.1.5

The death of the card was unrelated to the upgrade, other than the upgrade resulted in more writes to the card. It’d have died shortly anyway.

HI all, I am having the same issue: looks like HA can no longer communicate with the Supervisor. I am running a Supervised HA (2024.1.2) on RPi4 with debian 12.4 bookworm.
The situation is:

• all “ha …” commands fail with (example):
root@raspberrypi:~# ha supervisor repair
Post "http://supervisor/supervisor/repair": dial tcp 172.30.32.2:80: i/o timeout
  • at boot, all integrations that need to make external calls fail to load or perform the calls. Entering the HA container with “docker exec -it homeassistant” shows me that they cannot resolve addresses. Then adding 8.8.8.8 in /etc/resolv.conf inside the container makes some of those integrations work again, until the next reboot
  • cannot update HA: even with the 8.8.8.8 in resolv.conf, under settings it finds “no update available”, even with the tick “Show skipped updates”
  • cannot restart HA from within HA (I need to use the command “docker restart homeassistant”)
  • cannot perform or restore backups (the following text appears):
  • cannot reinstall the Supervisor: I tried to follow this guide GitHub - home-assistant/supervised-installer: Installer for a generic Linux system and forced the re-install but nothing changed

Any idea/suggestion before I try to re-install everything from scratch? I really can’t understand what’s going on here…
Thank you in advance for any help

Almost good, but a lot of errors of connecting to Xiaomi gateway.

2024-01-23 12:44:48.815 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [xiaomi_gateway] Cannot connect to gateway 7811dc64e6b5
2024-01-23 12:44:48.815 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [xiaomi_gateway] No data in response from hub None

somebody has the same ?

Unrelated to the upgrade, see Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12 where towards the end your problem is discussed.

Where, precisely?

at the end, the docker version you have installed is not compatible. It’s the most discussed recent issue. Just jump to the end of the thread.

1 Like

Per this: Latest Docker upgrade crashes addons with Failed communication to port 80 · Issue #349 · home-assistant/supervised-installer · GitHub

I ran these 2 commands to revert and hold docker to a previous version. Restarted and everything worked again.

sudo apt install containerd.io=1.6.26-1 docker-compose-plugin=2.21.0-1~debian.12~bookworm docker-ce-cli=5:24.0.7-1~debian.12~bookworm docker-buildx-plugin=0.11.2-1~debian.12~bookworm docker-ce=5:24.0.7-1~debian.12~bookworm docker-ce-rootless-extras=5:24.0.7-1~debian.12~bookworm

sudo apt-mark hold containerd.io=1.6.26-1 docker-compose-plugin=2.21.0-1~debian.12~bookworm docker-ce-cli=5:24.0.7-1~debian.12~bookworm docker-buildx-plugin=0.11.2-1~debian.12~bookworm docker-ce=5:24.0.7-1~debian.12~bookworm docker-ce-rootless-extras=5:24.0.7-1~debian.12~bookworm

Once this is fixed by Docker and/or Supervisor you can Unhold the docker components:

sudo apt-mark unhold containerd.io docker-compose-plugin docker-ce-cli docker-buildx-plugin docker-ce docker-ce-rootless-extras
2 Likes

From post 1210

Thank you everybody, @Snuffy2’s commands worked perfectly and now everything was again. I now recall that I had received an update of docker before everything went broken. So should I avoid updating docker or containerd in the future?
Thank you again!

Well the thread states that there is to be un update to docker to fix it.

1 Like

Since the update to version version | core-2024.1.5 the custom card addition to my dashboards have stopped working with the following error .

If I try to add a new card to a dash board the installed custom cards are not available . The cards are shown in the HACS front end view

Is it safe to upgrade 2024.1.3 to 2024.1.5 ? Seams that many have had problems with this version

all custom cards or that one? If it is just that one, I would recommend asking about it in the custom card’s thread or github.

1 Like

there is no way to answer your question with the information provided, but this iterative update didn’t cause any problems on my install. That being said, my install is certainly going to be pretty different from yours, so your mileage will vary.

1 Like

My issue somehow resolved itself !!!. All the custom cards are now displaying data :slight_smile:

1 Like

25.0.1 out now. Testing
EDIT: Looks good. all working

1 Like

My Telegram photo notifications have stopped working since 2024.1. The last working alert was 29/12/2023.

OK, I fixed my issue by using the services menu to successfully send a photo via Telegram using UI mode. Copying this code using yaml mode into my automation now works.

1 Like

Good work on the new automations. Is it possible now to make a building block (AND for example) and cut paste existing conditions into it? And will it now be possible to change AND to OR and vice-versa ? It is very annoying when you have a complex condition and you then realise you should have put an AND at the top level.

Also, regarding the filter functions, would it be possible to wrap a helper round them and satisfy this FR Make a Statistics helper