2024.10: Heading in the right direction

Is there any chance that this release is going to fix the issue with matter devices involved in scripts or automations that have timed out - killing the script or automation, despite continue_on_error: true being part of the YAML

I have a Goodnight House script that I run every night, and every few nights I have to run it several times before it will complete successfully - because at some point there will be a CHIP Timeout error and the whole script will just stop with an error.

Despite the apparent similarities between triggers and conditions, this is not possible. Triggers are events. They happen in an instant, they are not true or false. Things do not happen exactly together. Think of for instance a button press, the change from below 5 to above 5, the change from on to off.

2 Likes

By simply adding a condition for each and every trigger the automation will behave similar to ā€œANDā€ triggers, even if one of the triggers occurs before the other.

4 Likes

for my own sanity, thatā€™s same as what I said earlier in the thread isnā€™t it?

2 Likes

You did. I just thought a bit of clarification on the why was in place. The difference between triggers and conditions is not always clear to everyone.

1 Like

all goodā€¦more just wondering if I was on the right trackā€¦cheers

1 Like

It would be nice to have the little icons like the entities listed in the heading also in the mosaicsā€¦
Or to paint a border and a background around the heading like a card with a single entityā€¦
And/Or to paint a border and a background around a grid so we can put more heading in there and make it look like a card with multiple entitiesā€¦

1 Like

TTS Quickplay in Chromecast Devices seems broken. I am receiving this error:

Failed to perform the action media_player/play_media. CastMediaPlayerEntity._quick_play Failed: Failed to execute quick play

3 Likes

The problem that timeout is not respecting continue_on_error occur in other places also

Did some sort of syntax or connection between nodered change?
I have nodes that use a template/script in a function node to get the date/time
and sends a message the door was unlocked @ date/time

But since updating to HA October release
The notification includes the template/script instead of its output value

Restoring to the September release corrects the issue

Always excited about new releases! Great work everyone!

Cool stuff but I question the addition of another way to add decorations to a card, this time with headings. There are already badges and tile card features and picture card elements and mushroom chips and none of them are interchangeable.

Could we move towards a more composable approach for elements like these? I already find there often isnā€™t an element that will fit in the places provided but there could be one if only I could compose a badge or chip in the right place.

2 Likes

I was quite happy to see the NYT Games edition. Does the API provide enough information to determine if the games have been completed for today? The app / website clearly know this information, so I would think that it could be determined and exposed as an entity.

It would be nice to have that information on my display so that I can remember to complete the games before midnight. :slight_smile:

edit: if you are having trouble with the integration, make sure that you donā€™t have an extra space at the end of the base64 data. The UI doesnā€™t trim the string.

1 Like

Problems with my core installation was path related, this helped.
@ PrairieSnpr thanks!

None of those are core integrations, so post on the githib for the integrations

He still has an issue with his uv install, likely the same path issue the rest of us had. Nothing the integration owners can help with.

Now it is logical to have ā€œpluralsā€ for trigger-based sensors as well - this code causes error:

template:
  - triggers:
      - trigger: state
        entity_id: input_boolean.test_boolean
    actions:
      - action: persistent_notification.create
        data:
            action!
            value: {{trigger.to_state.state}}
    binary_sensor:
      - name: testing_2024_10_plurals
        state: >
          {% if trigger.to_state.state == 'on' -%}
            off
          {%- else -%}
            on
          {%- endif %}

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for ā€˜templateā€™ at conf/test/template_sensors/test_2024_10_plurals.yaml, line 2: ā€˜triggersā€™ is an invalid option for ā€˜templateā€™, check: triggers

Invalid config for ā€˜templateā€™ at conf/test/template_sensors/test_2024_10_plurals.yaml, line 7: ā€˜actionsā€™ is an invalid option for ā€˜templateā€™, check: actions

Otherwise we have one syntax for automations, another syntax for templates.

2 Likes

Having issues with DashCast when upgrading core to 2024.10 - reverting to 2024.9.3 fixes it immediately. Confirmed I have the latest version of DashCast installed, and also tried re-installing it post-upgrade of core.

Once I perform the 2024.10 update, the action to cast a dashboard disappears; leaving only the cast a camera feed option. Sounds like some others are seeing some general casting weirdness, which is the only reason I post this here.

Been using DashCast to cast a WallPanel dashboard with variables for each Nest Hub name in my config to simplify.

Itā€™s a work in progress. That will come eventually.

3 Likes

I updated last night, fixed some minor repairs, but no sign of my section heading being converted to the new headings card - they are all still the same as last release and I have several dashboards all using them.