2024.2: More voice, more icons, more integrations, more... everything!

Running into a similar problem with the instance I have running on an older pi 3.
It crashes quite often now (monitoring it, is crashed 3 times in the past 2 hours already). Looking at the CPU usage, this spikes up to 100%, after which the entire pi seems to freeze.
Looking at the logs, it seems an exception is thrown in /aiohttp/web_protocol.py (OSError: [Errno 5] I/O error). I want to see if booting in safe mode works, so I know whether a custom component is causing the issue, however no luck so far on trying to make an automation to track whether this error in the logger occured.

EDIT: got the automation working, and have at least found out the in safe mode the crashes don’t occur anymore. So there is likely a custom component somewhere that’s causing it.

Just noticed the Met Office integration is re-enabled now, but the Backward-incompatible changes doesn’t mention this. I can understand not removing it, but it should get updated to say that it was fixed/re-enabled in version 2024.2.2.

1 Like

I don’t think fixing something counts as a backwards incompatible change.

But doesn’t that make the backward incompatible change documentation wrong?

No. It’s not a compatibility issue.

python is a third party component so I don’t see obligation of HA team to announce it. You can always go to python.org or search.

Hi
I have just updated from 2024.1.6 to 2024.2.2 without any major issues.

However I have noticed that the overflow menu button (the 3 dots) has changed to a pencil icon and now takes you directly to the edit dashboard option. Previously there was a sub menu - albeit with only the edit dashboard option in it!

This menu button is called ha-button-menu. When I inspect this in the browser it shows correctly as ha-button-menu and the 3 dots show.
So something appears to be over riding ha-button-menu in a normal browser (Edge or Chrome)
I have searched this topic but I cannot find anybody mentioning this icon change.
I have a card mod theme modification to change the ha-button-menu icon to show the time which works once you click on the pencil icon and get into edit mode.
I have searched this topic, the all changes post for 2024.2.x and the card mod themes topic but haven’t had any hits.
Anybody else notice the pencil icon change or can point me towards a solution

Yes the pensil now get you direct to the edit-view ( which is what people want/need 99 of 100 times ) , and it leave you in edit-view-mode with the 3 dots above (same as usual)

1 Like

They’re talking about HA’s support of a certain Python version, not Python’s own deprecation path.

So, for 2024.2.0 and .1 the backward-incompatibility note is valid. For 2024.2.2 it’s not. However, IF someone were to install 2024.2.0 or 2024.2.1 they’d need to know that this incompatibility issue exists. BUT someone installing 2024.2.2 doesn’t. Hence, why I say that the note for the incompatibility needs updating to say that it’s fixed in 2024.2.2. (Even though the release notes say it’s fixed.)

It is in the release notes that it is re-enabled.

HA support is connected with Python’s. The only difference is that instead of waiting the last moment to mark the version (and causing panic) as deprecated they do the upgrade earlier.

Deprecated doesn’t mean (equate) unsupported. You can still run on Python 3.11 for now. There’s still time before it becomes unsupported.

1 Like

For what it’s worth I used 2024.2 as the push to move off of my venv (running since 0.35 at the end of 2016) to Docker, marking the end of my migration of my entire stack to Docker. The migration was pretty flawless - stopped the venv, pointed Docker at the existing config folder and stated the container.

My Google Cast devices changed entity id (they’d been set with the old entity namespace option which didn’t make it across for some reason), but it was the work of a minute to set those back.

1 Like

pip install homeassistant still installs version 2024.2.2 not the latest version. Is there something wrong?

homeassistant ¡ PyPI shows 2024.2.2.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been considering it, but you might’ve seen my comments on some of this on other posts. :slight_smile:

My setup actually runs very smoothly, but during my upgrade to 2024.2.2 I was thinking about this: The only downside (for me) at the moment with my setup is that there’s a lot of underlying C/C++ code that needs to be compiled when you’ve upgraded Python, which means it takes a really long time to start HA. The installation of a new Python and creating the new venv can all be done while HA is running and is pretty easy to do, but in this case, you cannot make HA start faster. My total downtime was 24 minutes (given the power of my hardware and run at a quiet time, like I would’ve done for a production system at work).

1 Like

On https://github.com/home-assistant/core/actions/runs/8006662640 It seems that the build is waiting for a review step before being published. Bit odd that it is indicated as released on this page.

It has been pulled because of an issue found with the roomba integration.

3 Likes

Ah, that explains a lot. As I was waiting for a fix related to MotionBlinds in the 2024.2.3 build, l’ll roll back to 2024.2.1.

Looks like it’s live now.