2024.4: Organize all the things!

Sorry. I’m traveling with only my phone, no PC, makes grabbing logs klugy. I reinstalled to get the logs.

Logger: homeassistant.setup
Source: setup.py:316
First occurred: 15:57:27 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 15:57:27

Setup failed for custom integration 'vantage': Unable to import component: cannot import name 'Entity' from 'homeassistant.components.group' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/group/__init__.py)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 979, in async_get_component
    comp = await self.hass.async_add_import_executor_job(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 1037, in _get_component
    ComponentProtocol, importlib.import_module(self.pkg_path)
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/importlib/__init__.py", line 90, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1387, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1360, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1331, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 935, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 995, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 488, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/config/custom_components/vantage/__init__.py", line 30, in <module>
    from .entity import async_cleanup_entities
  File "/config/custom_components/vantage/entity.py", line 16, in <module>
    from homeassistant.components.group import Entity
ImportError: cannot import name 'Entity' from 'homeassistant.components.group' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/group/__init__.py)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py", line 316, in _async_setup_component
    component = await integration.async_get_component()
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 997, in async_get_component
    self._component_future.result()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 989, in async_get_component
    comp = self._get_component()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 1037, in _get_component
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/importlib/__init__.py", line 90, in import_module
ImportError: cannot import name 'Entity' from 'homeassistant.components.group' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/group/__init__.py)

Here are the logs

Logger: homeassistant.setup
Source: setup.py:316
First occurred: 15:57:27 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 15:57:27

Setup failed for custom integration 'vantage': Unable to import component: cannot import name 'Entity' from 'homeassistant.components.group' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/group/__init__.py)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 979, in async_get_component
    comp = await self.hass.async_add_import_executor_job(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py", line 316, in _async_setup_component
    component = await integration.async_get_component()
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 997, in async_get_component
    self._component_future.result()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 989, in async_get_component
    comp = self._get_component()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I’ve raised an issue on GitHub for this.

Hi. Yes, I’ve seen this as well. Actually started happening with the previous release, 2024.03, same as you describe, the secondary sensors present, the main not. I think the main appears once it delivers updated values. A reload of the integration also seems to solve the issue.

Issue looged some weeks ago #112848 here, serveral peple experiancing same, some idea of cause but no resolution in sight at present.

No it definitely isn’t just that. Every time I’m on a new network it defaults to overview. Also why can’t we change the default for users, for ex my kids only need a limited dashboard. Every once in a while I have to take their devices an set the default again. Also this can’t be done if you’re not an admin, so I first need to elevate them, change dashboard then remove admin access. Doing this for a few devices and users becomes really tedious.

Yep, there is a feature request that has been going for years relating to proper user control, permissions etc. No idea why it hasn’t been dealt with yet.

I would think that setting the default dashboard for each user should fall under this same request for user control.

NO Labels are not packages. I want Package support in the UI. Currently I can’t even edit my stuff in the UI, because I use Packages in my configuration. Additionally, if we had packages, I could select a package and all the components would be shown (automations, scenes, scripts, helpers, user defined sensors, etc.) all on the same page.

2 Likes

Using Labels you would technically be able to do this. I also use Packages and am considering moving my code across to the UI. By creating a Label for each Package I could do what you suggest, to put up all related items.

Packages are not only about categorizing.
Means - can be replaced by labels only in some rather limited sense.

They are about ‘organising’, which is what the new ‘labels & categories’ are also for.

Same, see no reason to argue about it
Can you move “labeled stuff” to another HA setup?
Can you disable whole “labeled stuff” & reenable it?
Guess you are missing what packages can be used for.

Oh the very first 3 things I tried out don’t work! I hoped with the reorganizing this would also work.

1. When searching, the string needs to be exact. To the point where I search 2 words, and it does not list everything that contains these 2 words, they must be one after an other. This really sucks, as I don’t remember the name exact enough.

Example: “Announce if somone gets home”. I can’t search for announce home

Also some sort of lazy searching would be nice, if I make a small spelling mistake.

1. I can’t shift-click to select a range of checkboxes. I have to click and click and click…

2. I can’t drag and drop something to a label or category (like we drag a song into a playlist)

1 Like

Looks like there may be an issue with the utility meter:

3 Likes

I get your point on disabling etc as I do that myself, so it’s not lost on me.

Moving things to another HA setup… Sure, you could hit ‘edit in YAML’ for each thing but yes, it would be tedious and nowhere near as handy as copying an entire Package file.

With the push for UI based HA I don’t think we will ever get what we originally wanted with regards to Packages in the UI.

1 Like

Sorry, I do not understand what you wrote. Let’s stay with own opinions.

I’m confused on how to best make use of naming conventions and uses of labels, categories, areas, and floors. Is there a guide yet?

The best I can offer is to watch the release party video if you haven’t already. People are all going to have their own ideas of what is considered ‘best practice’.

1 Like

Thank you so much Bram - I totally overlooked that there were checkboxes against the labels in the ‘Add Label’ dropdown

Thanks too to boheme61 for clarifying

I am definitely not seeing database storage for the labels - just JSON in the .storage folder in these files

Would love to see them in dev tools though - still the only place I can see a full attribute dump (easily)

You can’t have comments but its possible to set an alias for each step in the UI. This is also the message that is shown in the Trace Timeline making it easy debug the automation.