2024.8: Beautiful badges!

Try clearing your browser cache. You shouldn’t get that message w/ the latest frontend.

You can use it with:
→ Display type: Standard (icon and state)
→ State content: Name

1 Like

It seems to be a problem with special characters in the password. Removing these fixed my problems with Reolink.

Yes, I,m seeing a similar Yamaha integration error.

Logger: homeassistant.components.media_player
Source: helpers/entity_platform.py:364
integration: Media player (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 2:30:05 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 2:30:05 PM

Error while setting up yamaha platform for media_player
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 364, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.shield(awaitable)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/yamaha/media_player.py", line 167, in async_setup_platform
    zone_ctrls = await hass.async_add_executor_job(_discovery, config_info)
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/yamaha/media_player.py", line 136, in _discovery
    for recv in rxv.find():
                ^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/rxv/__init__.py", line 19, in find
    return [RXV(**ri._asdict()) for ri in ssdp.discover(timeout=timeout)]
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/rxv/ssdp.py", line 72, in discover
    res = rxv_details(url)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/rxv/ssdp.py", line 83, in rxv_details
    res = cElementTree.XML(requests.get(location).content)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/defusedxml/common.py", line 126, in fromstring
    parser.feed(text)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1706, in feed
    self.parser.Parse(data, False)
ValueError: multi-byte encodings are not supported

It will work again after doing this:

Open /homeassistant/custom_components/alexa_media/manifest.json in File Editor Addin and change line 11 to:
“requirements”: [“alexapy>=1.28.2”, “packaging>=20.3”, “wrapt>=1.14.0”],

Read the thread.

The update killed all my automations that used Alexa to announce anything.

1 Like

Like the new badges! Aldough gives me a optical weird (too much) spacing and i’d like to be able show a bigger font. (for my clock). :slight_smile:

5 Likes

See post 2024.8: Beautiful badges! - #102 by Floo
I had the same feature request and learned it is possible, but it goes not without saying

New badges are cool, but changing color and icon based on entity state thru UI could be much simpler.

now that I have 2024.8 running for a week, I have to confess, that on more than a few occasions I found the smaller icon in the Tiles cards harder to recognize.

It does depend on the specific color, but the lighter colors to my eyes are more difficult to decipher, especially when the icon has more detail.

even though the change is but a few pixels, and I had not expected that (I do like the general looks of the newly sized cards), yet there it is…

even a more pronounced color like these with great contrast, make me have to look at the icon with pinched eyes

this is even more illustrative /problematic.

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-08-08 om 23.41.52

I get it the main attention is drawn to the interactive parts of the card. However, an icon also is interactive and currently less accessible, because less recognizable

1 Like

There was an issue fixed during the beta. Fix yamaha legacy receivers by Petro31 · Pull Request #122985 · home-assistant/core · GitHub looks like they may not have fixed everything. You should open a new issue here: Issues · home-assistant/core · GitHub

Just got to say it… I’m hating the new Badges.

From this …

to this…

4 Likes

Oh boy… I feel you… luckily I moved from badges to chips months ago

I don’t like either of them. Badges are awful.

11 Likes

badges

Badges for things running based on visibility are very useful a the top of the view, in this example: lights on, air conditioner on, tv washing machine, main door, lock and alarm

When I’m away from home I can see at a glance if I’ve left something on.

5 Likes

Eh. You do you. I prefer the Auto entities card.

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 09-12-35 Overview – Home Assistant

I am may be missing smth - but since when template sensors (not created in UI) are shown in Settings → Helpers? Is it since 2024.8 or since the 1st addition of possibility to create template sensors in “Helpers”?

Hi. It seems that this is a known issue, Alexa Media Player (AMP) not working with HA 2024.08.

The folks that manage the AMP project seem to be working to address this. See this linked issue.

It seems that AMP version 4.12.7 (avaialble via HACS) may fix this issue, although you may have to delete and re-add the AMP integration.

Posting this as an FYI, I have not updated to 2024.08 myself, because of this issue.

Hi. Not showing in 2024.7.4, so must be new with 2024.8 …