433toMQTTto433 Gateway Device List

There is tons, but the question is how do they work, and do they work with home-assistant?
Do they send one RF code when the code on the keypad is correct?
Do they send one signal each time a key is pressed?
Do they send the typed code every x seconds? Or after a press on a confirmation key?

Ideally should send 2 codes (correct when the sequence is done correctly, and not correct otherwise), and in a format that could be taken from the bridge. But again without rolling code receiver is a bit unsafe, I think

Cheapest Android 7" tablet/phone running a Chrome page set at the HA’s alarm panel would be way better than a 433 Mhz physical keyboard (and would have a lot more customization options for the frontend, including date&time, temperature outside, etc.).

As a safety feature, internet access for the tablet could be prevented by locking it on the LAN (stock option for Asus routers or the ones running dd-wrt/openwrt/tomato/etc.) so that it doesn’t call home to some dodgy Chinese server (also disable UPNP, DMZ, ssh & web access from WAN, limit port forwarding use to only secure connections etc.).

From a security perspective it should be noted that (conclusion is that using 433 Mhz PIR and open door sensors for light triggering is fine, however for either residential or office security is a really bad idea):

• data gathered from the devices (sensors/switches/etc) can be used to generate patterns that indicate occupancy (for example triggering the PIR/open door sensors; variations of the inside temperature sent by weather station sensors vs. outside; there are also lights that use unencrypted 2.4 Ghz spectrum - MiLight/Limitless);
  • most 433 Mhz devices (motion/open door/temperature/leak/smoke sensors) send unencrypted payloads; any 10 years old kid can build an Arduino/ESP device sniffer (well, this is the reason we are able to use it into HA anyway :slight_smile: );
  • rolling code mechanism is not widely used for these devices; even with rolling, for some garage door/gate opening remotes, code can be learned by another remote and used at a later time (only one code so another sniffing is required if wanting to use again however only one code is required to do a lot of damage);
  • using a 433 Mhz key fob for arming the alarm is somehow safe (an attacker could only arm it remotely), however disarming from 433 Mhz devices should be strictly prohibited (disarming should be done by punching the code on a physical device only);
  • as a precautionary measure, 433 Mhz noise could be generated all the time in order to mimic home occupancy (have automation sending 1. fake 433 Mhz codes after a real sensor triggers when at home with a short delay in order to mask the real sensor payload; 2. real 433 Mhz codes and fake ones when not at home based on a random triggering; 3. fake 433 Mhz codes on a set schedule every day).
1 Like

It is true but for home usage it’s usually more than enough. If someone goes to the extend of determining that you use an system based on 433mhz and wait to duplicate the code, you need another level of security :sweat_smile:

But I would guess that the keypad used in alarm system use some kind of rolling code, and I don’t believe the gateway can handle that.

At the moment I use a regular remote (single button) that disarm the alarm (the code is in the automation). Less then ideal I know but family is not using the Tablet I put in entrance, so had to find a fast solution.

Then again how a sniffer should know that that particular rf code is disarming the alarm (I use dozen of codes for many things)

Nevertheless I also look for a keypad solution. I ordered one, will post the results

Now that you let me think, it could be used a generic ETEKCITY remote which has 6 buttons (on off for 3 switches) and program a combination of presses, with an automation?

They actually would not need, they’ll record for 10 minutes after seeing you approach your home, and then replay all the code captured during the 10 minutes. Simple as that.
But again, it’s even simpler to take a screwdriver and break a lock… so no reason to go to such extend to break in a home with alarm.

However the single press remote is for sure not the best ^^

If your family don’t use the tablet, just let the alarm go off, and it won’t be an option anymore to disarm the alarm with the tablet ^^

If someone is at high risk to the point of having intelligent sniffers outside, I recommend bodyguards, bullet proof windows and so on :slight_smile:

Nevertheless the single button remote I agree is on the low end side of security

1 Like

If willing to go Z-wave (although at a significant higher price than the 433 Mhz counterpart :frowning:)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEO-COOLCAM-NAS-RC03Z-Z-wave-Plus-Smart-Home-One-Key-SOS-and-Remote-Control-Sensor/32860067919.html

that’s a great solution. Thank you

I’m looking for a 433Mhz outdoor motion detector that works with the gateway. Anyone has a suggestion?

The Kerui P861 is a good option:

It include temper detection (send a signal when taken off from the support) and report movement every 5s. You can also add some kind of masking piece to reduce it’s field of view.

1 Like

https://www.banggood.com/GS-K07-RFID-Wireless-Password-Keypad-433MHz-for-GSM-Home-Security-Alarm-System-p-1175502.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

In the comments/review section it is noted that it works with RFLink…so could be doable?

Could be, but RFLink also support product that are not supported by the gateway so it’s not sure it will work.

But you should give it a try, so that we can know if it work or not :yum:

Hello,

For information this cheap temperature and humidity sensor (DIGOO DG-R8S) is compatible with OMG (use ZgatewayPilight):

Here is an example of what you can get from it:

1 Like

Sweet :slight_smile:

hi @1technophile did you know if it is compatible with sonoff bridge (tasmota)?

All I wanted to share this new sensor I just received. It’s a door/window sensor branded as Digoo and it has a very nice form factor as well as providing on/off signal.
I’ve been using their pir for over a year without changing batteries.
Highly recommend this product.

Could you share a product code and purchase link so that it’s easy for others to find?

this is the link

1 Like