A different take on an alarm system

No it doesn’t output back to HA however this could be implemented using a sensor template. If I get a chance I’ll knock one up as this will also be handy for my FloorPlan SVG.

Those sensors need to be part of your immediate group too as the notathome title is a little misleading this group prevents the sensors triggering the alarm when in home mode

Cool can they also be put into delayed instead of immediate to prevent triggered when in home mode, or is this just applicable to the immediate group.

Love the work btw :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Yeah they certainly can.

1 Like

This was a little trickier than expected and no doubt there will be a cleaner way to do this. I couldn’t figure out how to feed in allsensors from alarm control panel so we dont have to add each individual sensor. I tried to monitor the sensors using
{%- set alarm = states.alarm_control_panel.house %}
{%- set sensors = alarm.attributes.allsensors %}

which works in the template renderer however HA doesnt update when used in template sensors. I’m not a fan of jinja tbh

Any way here is the working sensor config:

https://paste.ee/p/tFEQT

Cool, I give it a go tomorrow and let you know.

Another thing I have noticed it might be by design, if you set the alarm with say the front door open as your walking out the front door is ignored ?

Btw my wife loves the new alarm, so thanks very much…

Thanks Graham

Yeah thats part of the pending time config. I’ve set mine to 25 seconds. If any of the sensors in your ‘delayed’ config are triggered within 25 seconds it will be ignored if they are triggered afterwards they will activate the alarm

1 Like

i have been playing about with it today and I get the following results

1 - Set the Alarm Away Home, with all the sensors closed (Off) works fine

2 - Set the Alarm Away Home, then open the day to leave and close within 30 Seconds all works fine

3 - Set the Alarm Away Home, with a sensor open in this case the Front Door Sensor (Delayed), then close the door within the 30 Seconds, the Sensor becomes inactive and does says inactive. until the alarm is disarmed.

Do you get the same results ?

Are you trying it with both arm away and arm home?

Arm Away Mode - The front door invokes the 30 second delay providing you have that sensor in the ‘delayed’ group. then triggers alarm if tripped after 30 seconds

Arm Home Mode - The front door sensor would immediately activate the alarm if tripped. There is no delay. I haven’t tried to ‘open’ the door then activate home mode, really you should be checking all the perimeter sensors are closed before you activate home mode. Home mode should be used at night time or when you want to arm the perimeter. This is why the ‘notathome’ group is there any sensors in that group don’t trigger the alarm if tripped during home mode.

Hi

Works flawesly in Arm Home and Arm Away, unless you set it in Arm Away with a the door open as you are leaving the house… see screen shot…

as you can see it says inactive,

Hi Hefford27, that’s a good shout!

To be honest I haven’t had the time to do any extensive testing with a baby in the house.

Updated bwalarm.py code below. I have modified drytoastmans original code to prevent the exclusion of these open sensors, there is probably a good reason for his original code but it doesn’t suit my needs. Would appreciate if you could test it, I have and it seems to work for me. If the sensor is open and the alarm activates in away mode it will still include the sensor in the watch list and reset its state to closed once its received even after the alarm has been set. I’ll get all this on github eventually either through proposed changes to drytoastmans or as a branch

https://paste.ee/p/zx1gh

1 Like

The changes I have made are in

def setsignals(self, athome):

and

def process_event(self, event):

if you want to check/add manually for any reason

Great, thanks, I know what its like having a baby I have a 4 year old and the wife wants another, so getting all my automation in now :slight_smile:

Happy to test anything mate, I will test the changes a little later when I have finished this conference call I am on…

Yeah these kids are a timehog :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed the formatting inst quite right on mobile too so I’ll sort that tonight hopefully.

Any suggestions for anything else? Going to add a panic button to instantly trigger alarm and possibly a count down dial on the pending state

im bless with a 16 and 4 year old girls, and I am not sure which one is the biggest pain / headache :slight_smile:

the count down and panic button is great idea. i recorded the 30 sec bleep off our old alarm within the XIAOMI App, and when the alarm Home Away is set it kicks off an automation to play they 30 secs bleep through the Xiaomi hub :slight_smile: so there is an audible bleep, and use a single longer bleep when its disarmed :slight_smile:

Another feature could be that if an sensor in the immediate group is open the alarm will not set, and give you a warning, that you can overdrive is another maybe.

I need to learn how to code :frowning: :frowning:

I am yet to implement this alarm into my system, which I hope to do next week. As I used to be a security installer I figured I would add a quick comment.

The way most commercial alarm systems work (as Hefford27 has indicated towards) is to notify you if a sensor is not in the correct state before arming (ie: ether open or in tamper) Generally the system would tell you which sensor(s) are not healthy and give you a prompt to either sort it out or isolate that input (ie: arm anyway and just not include that sensor in the code for that instance)

I really like the idea of having a countdown and warning tones being played from a Xiaomi hub, I will definitely try to do that at my place.

Once I get it programmed next week, I’ll be more than happy to test things out to help where I can.

Timer is implemented on both pending and warning. See attached screenshots. Will upload the code shortly.

I’ll crack the open sensor notification/override next. Tamper detection will be difficult as most sensors (zwave, zigebee etc) define different states/descriptions for tamper, I’m not certain we could have one solution that encompasses all.

As for the warning tones this should be built into your automations. Keep the ideas coming and any suggestions to improve the design.

3 Likes

^Now that is awesome, is there an updated repo with that code?

so cool, just need to get the countdown in hadashboard then the screen around the house can show the timer .

great work mate, cant wait to try it out :slight_smile:

i agree, not sure if the xiaomi sensors have tamper in them… not tried

Did you find any repo?

Could this be used with the manual mqtt alarm? If it would be the case we could also use the Android alarm panel.