A Home-Approved Dashboard chapter 1: Drag-and-drop, Sections view, and a new grid system design!

A good (or better) UI starts with consistency

Consistency is key here, and HA is currently a mess when we have a look at the UI and all the random padding/margin/font-sizes inside HA itself, but also all the different cards.
In an ideal world these should be standardized, with the possibility to override the defaults using your (own custom) theme(s).

I agree. HA really could use a well definied style guide (if there is any documentation on that already, I haven’t seen it).

It’s not just fonts and margins. The most irritating to me is that the tiles cards use gray for entity state off, not dark blue like older cards. And gray is used for unavailable entities in the older cards.

In general tile cards have jarringly different style. I’m guessing it’s meant to complety replace some of the old cards (at least the entity one), as in the official screenshots it’s never used together with them.

It would be really nice to get some clarification to know what to look for in the future. Are the older cards going to be updated to make them more in line with the tiles cards?

As i “in general” agree upon your point of view, and latest above , im a bit puzzled
As im pretty sure i ( and +1000000 others ) don’t have the same “point of view”, how their UI should look like , It’s a matter of Taste , and Not “Normalized” 
 latest would implies that either you or I ain’t “Normal”

Which lead to the fact

And this is Possible ! , Card-Mod and Custom-Themes comes to your( And all others ) salvation

If someone should/would “streamline” all cards, with same font’s, same margins, same padding, im sure not even the 3 of you can agree upon that, that Dev, have chosen the “Right Values” cording to your tastes.
And build-in UI options to change every Card aspects( Like Margins/Paddings/font-size/font-type/colors/ etc./etc/etc.) would be a Cumbersome task, and such a Card-UI-Editor would be a huge Component it self

But Your “Point of Views” is “relevant” And so you can Post a FR (feature request) If it’s not already exist :wink:

No, im not a fan of a total “generic” UI Look,as all of you (and most people ) aren’t (even thou it sound so in your commends)
I Love the Options Card-Mod and Themes Provide

Next Generation UI / Design Devs will probably “annoy” me to , and the next one after that, not only do the get “influenced” from various parts of the world, and medias, they also have their own opinions , damn annoying :laughing:
( Do consider last sentence ironic )

EDIT: If someone likes “Normalized Consistency” consider Google Home, or any other “Brand” App/Platform

Yes, it’s just my personal opinion. This is so open that we can share different points of view in this channels. But I don’t know the opinion of these +10000000 others.

I do know that staff read us, and take all those opinions as just suggestions. And this is fine. I’m sure that they focus on the important things and design decisions are taken for good reason.

I was sharing my thoughts, that’s all. And I should say that they encourage us to give feedback. :blush:

So I just noticed about this entry. I am actually creating my own FE for HA, I am not happy with current one. So here are some my ideas, I created this masonry layout in basically one evening, there is a bug, but it is only proof of concept for me.

you can check how it is working here: Masonry layout grid

It is basically the way of displaying arrays.

And I see that once again we’re dealing with some “art for art’s sake” and saving users from themselves.

In my opinion, it doesn’t matter how cards and panels are arranged; the user should have full control over that. Personally, I often want certain controls to be in completely different places on a small display compared to a large one, simply because I use HA differently on my phone than on my computer.

Users can spend hours choosing the colors of icons, so I don’t see why they couldn’t spend 3 minutes setting up the layout for different sizes.

I got feeling that this is another HA feature that will be developed painfully over the years and won’t fulfill its purpose.

2 Likes

How do I find and use color icons for my sections on the dashboard? Like those that are seen in the dashboard demo version for the living room, kitchen, enregy

I was able to copy/paste those but I would like others.

:woman_cook: Kitchen

You mean the standard emoji? On Windows e.g. win+.

The ones that you can see here, at the top of each card. Like where it says kitchen:

Looking forward to Chapter 2, hopefully soon. :eyes:

2 Likes

I have several cards optionally hidden using conditions in the Visibility tab within a section. However, when hidden, all sections move up, creating an unpredictable layout. I ended up creating fewer sections with a vertical stack and hiding the cards with a conditional card, but I wonder if there’s a better way. Has anyone tackled this problem?

Those are emoji. You can insert them using whatever emoji panel is native to your device:

• on mobile devices, there is usually a smiley face icon on the keyboard
  • on Windows, you can press Windows + .
  • on Mac, you can press Command + Ctrl + Space

Linux shortcuts will likely vary depending on the operating system and what picker you have installed; on my Ubuntu machine, I use the program Emote, the shortcut for which is Ctrl + Alt + E.

Additionally, you could browse a list of emoji like this one in a browser and copy the emoji you want; however, compared to your system’s native emoji picker, that’s extra steps.

Just starting to experiment with the sections view. It looks promising.

Some functions I have found to be missing so far:

• The ability to duplicate a section.
  • The ability to edit the section YAML without editting the entire dashboard YAML.

This is the reason why i dont use this view and stick to masonry. Have they created a solution to fix the space between columns yet?

It is possible by tweaking the theme:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/customize-gap-between-new-sections-dashboard-layout/701480/5

Love all the work going into the frontend lately!
Big thanks to all involved!

Looking forward to the grid layout. Has anybody seen any announcements on when it will drop?

Isn’t that the grid layout which is a future feature currently under development?

The sections view is the grid layout. However, in practice it only looks like a grid if you limit cards to a few types (mostly the tile cards). Most of the older cards have height that doesn’t fit exactly in the grid.

Is this a bug in the new dashboarding?

I have a Timer added to the dashboard. I want to see how much time is remaining. I have it configured like this but it shows just the default duration of the timer and does not count down in the ui.

I’m thinking this 0:07:00 should be 0:04:16
Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 12.45.32 PM

HA Front-end Devs,

Is there a way to hide the display of the CONFIG and VISIBILITY options tab choices for a configuration editor that uses the <ha-form> control? I am using the <ha-form> control in a configuration editor dialog that allows the user to edit settings for the card. The CONFIG and VISIBILITY options menu is not needed during card configuration editing. This appears for both Masonry and Panel (1 card) dashbaord definitions.

Note that this just started appearing recently, I believe with the 2024.5.x (or 2024.6.x) release.

Figure 1 - Configuration Editor Form

Figure 2 - Parent Dashboard Definition

Thanks

This is the new feature in 2024.6. It allows users to set up conditions that must be met for the card to be shown in the dashboard, without the need to put the card inside a conditional card. This is available in the visibility tab while the config tab is what we had before. Why would your want to remove this feature?