A raspberry pi turned into a Google Home, and it works!

damn, I really thought that it will work without any hardware (google home or echo), may be I am just dreaming.

Parts should be in tonight and I already use emulated hue with Echo/Alexa. Do I have to do anything special to make this work too?

You can pair Hue with Goggle asistent on the phone. Will this work?

the restriction is lifted a while ago for echo. so it is possible without hardware with AlexaPi (if i remember correct)
so i think that google will lift that restriction in the near future also.

I will look into AlexaPi again, just formatted the AlexaPi card to install google home, was too excited thinking it can work without the hardware. Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

yes I have emulated_hue. I can control like 100+ swtiches/automation/script/lights/scene with my voice

I have a Google Home, maybe because of that it worked out of the box, no input from my side and the pi3 worked as the google home (only missing is the wake word)

well maybe with emulated_hue, or a modified version of it, it should be possible

no, it took me 5 minutes, so a normal intelligent human beeing should be able to do it in 3 ahah

1 Like

So to conclude what you have set up, it means as long as you have 1 google home hardware to setup all the lights/switches in a normal way, then you can add “pi home” to the network and control all lights/switches just like the google home hardware.

It means the google assistant sdk is only good for people already have the google home hardware, and use “pi home” to expand the coverage for the whole house without spending full price of the google home.

that’s my scenario and it works perfectly. Other scenarios (without a phisical google home) you have to investigate, but from my understanding it should work if not now, in the future.

But yes that’s my plan, put a pi (eventually just a 15$ zero) a mic and a speaker and I have a google home/assistant everywhere in my house (like 5 or 6)

1 Like

Thanks for your clarification, I hope this can help to save some time for people who also wanted to setup without the hardware like what I wish before.

I like the thought of using a $15 zero to extend my google home voice control across my home, but I am wondering what we could use for mic and speaker to keep cost low and still maintain a small package. If the aesthetic, size, cost slip too far from acceptable then I am thinking that it might be better to just grab Google Home devices.

I look forward to hearing your suggestion on mic and speaker.

yes of course. Some are doing an AlexaPi project, but to me makes no sense, a 50$ Echo is a good price for a neat object.
The goal is to save from a 130$ device like the google home, buying 6 would be too much (800$ … no way).
I do have a two spare Jabra 510, so for 2 pieces I will use those (the quality is BETTER then the original Google Home).

For additional pieces we need to investigate a good mic+speaker

This is what I have done with Amazon but I’ve always been a Google fan.

yes I have 4 Echos, but frankly I prefer my (only one) Google Home. So if I can put a GH in everyroom, I think is pretty cool

1 Like

speaker: nudeaudio Move S
Mic: sienoc Mini microfoon USB

Do I have to undo my Alexa settings? I have the Pi-Google Home working but want to integrate it too!

I setup (or think I did) HA-Bridge on the same RPi I have Google-Home running on. HA-Bridge can see my devices but I cannot get GH to control them. I tried the GH app and it is not finding any devices as well.

Am I missing something or does this not work yet?

I use emulated hue also for Alexa. Not the ha Bridge