Importing Blueprints into Home Assistant
If you see this import badge, click it:
If you’re running an older Home Assistant version, follow the following steps:
- Visit the topic of the blueprint that you want to import
- Copy the URL from the browser address bar
- Go to Home Assistant → Configuration → Blueprints and click on the blue “Import Blueprint” button in the bottom right.
- Paste the blueprint topic URL and click on “Preview Blueprint”
- Click on “Import Blueprint”
Each blueprint should be shared in its own topic in the forums. Make sure that:
- The title describes clearly what the blueprint does.
- The post content describes what the blueprint does and what devices are required to use it.
- Add relevant tags so it’s easier to find your blueprint.
Include the full blueprint config in your topic by including it in a YAML code block like this:
After you create your blueprint topic:
- Generate an import blueprint badge and add it to the introduction of your post.
- Verify that it works by trying to import it.
When a user imports a blueprint, Home Assistant stores the URL from which it was imported. This will allow Home Assistant in the future to update blueprints by looking at updated blueprint code in the forum topic.
It is therefore important that your blueprints remain backwards compatible. Do not change selectors or input names. If you add new selectors, make sure they have a default value so that existing automations keep working when the blueprint is updated.
If you want to make major changes to a blueprint, consider creating a new one.