Actron Aircon / ESP32 Controller Help

My repo is a fork of Brents repo and so it inherited that file.
To help reduce confusion I’ve removed it now (and you are better off just using the external DAC as it seems more reliable/accurate)
The LED decoding is working great (never had any problem with that)

@patrick11 I think I misspoke in my update on how I determined the desired DAC values.
You do need it to be plugged into the keypad when measuring because it relies on the 19v power from the keypad going through the transistor.
To help with this point I wired up two breakout sockets for GND+KEY so I could hookup my multimeter to them

As far as connecting the circuit to the keypad - I just have it connected to the terminals on the back of the keypad only with the ones going to the AC unit.

Your diagram is correct - the circuit is connected in parallel with the wall controller.
To test and determine the DAC values required you need to have the circuit connected to the wall controller as it supplies the voltage which is being adjusted and measured.
If you look further up in this thread you will see I have provided some fairly detailed explanations on exactly how to determine the required values.

My unit keeps ‘sending’ data despite no activity on the unit or the wall panel, is that normal behaviour?

UPD: Had a look at the ESPhome code and it seems to be due to those entities are declared as sensors. Not entirely sure I see the reasoning behind making “Fan Speed” a sensor (but I’m basically a newbie in ESPhome) and I guess making it internal might solve that.

Interestingly, some of the LED data I get is reverted.

To be specific, I have an 8-zone wall panel. As one would expect, the "unk"1-4 values from proto_led2.h actually belong to the bottom row of the zone buttons on the panel. They are still detected, however, the values are reverted, while on the panel it is ON the device reports it is OFF and vice versa.

It seems a bit strange to implement something like that into a product (in the AC, although still possible) so I wonder if that behaviour might be caused by something else?
Also, what would be the best way to rectify it, add conditions to the line below?
pulse_vec[nlow] = dtu < 1000;
(BTW I noticed that in comments it says ‘800ms’ but actually uses 1000ms)

Or just change these lines to “==0” :
unk1->publish_state(ledProto.p[clsLedProto::UNK1] != 0);

The ‘Fan Speed’ is being re-sent every minute because it is from a lambda (so sent even if not changed)
I’ve updated my esphome yaml so it only sends things on change - check it at Actron-Keypad/aircon-keypad.yaml at 56b61e64f9ebdf56ab643084e67fe92c69040b5c · cjd/Actron-Keypad · GitHub

Can anyone see an issue with powering the ESP32 from the wall controller power pin with this 19V to 5V converter?

Thanks to all who have contributed to this project. I’ve been wanting to integrate my Actron into my home automation for sometime but did not want to fork out the few thousand dollars to upgrade my indoor unit PCB.

I’ve managed to get this working with my 8 zone LM24-D controller. In the process i’ve discovered the remaining UNK LEDs. Here is the list for anyone who may find it useful. note I’ve removed UNK6=40 as it doesn’t exist. There are only 40 LEDs, 0 to 39.

enum ClassStatLeds {
    COOL = 0,
    AUTO = 1,
    ROOM5 = 2,
    RUN = 3,
    ROOM8 = 4,
    ROOM7 = 5,
    ROOM6 = 6,
    TIMER = 7,
    FAN_CONT = 8,
    FAN_HI = 9,
    FAN_MID = 10,
    FAN_LOW = 11,
    ROOM3 = 12,
    ROOM4 = 13,
    ROOM2 = 14,
    HEAT = 15,
    _3C = 16,
    _3F = 17,
    _3G = 18,
    _3B = 19,
    _3A = 20,
    ROOM1 = 21,
    _3E = 22,
    _3D = 23,
    _2B = 24,
    _2F = 25,
    _2G = 26,
    _2E = 27,
    DP = 28,
    _2C = 29,
    _2D = 30,
    _2A = 31,
    _1D = 32,
    INSIDE = 33,
    _1C = 34,
    _1B = 35,
    _1E = 36,
    _1G = 37,
    _1F = 38,
    _1A = 39,  
  };

It also pays to measure your keypad POWER pin voltage and calculate the required voltage divider resistor values. My voltage is 20V so I was getting 3.9V on G33 pin. I needed to replace the 1.2kOhm resistor with 910Ohm. This brought the G33 pin voltage down to 3.3V.

My UI:

I’ve also tidied up the handleIntr() and mloop() functions:

void handleIntr() {
    auto nowu = micros();
    unsigned long dtu = nowu - last_intr_us;
    last_intr_us = nowu;
    if (dtu > 2000) {
      nlow = 0;
      return;
    }
    if (nlow >= NPULSE) nlow = NPULSE - 1;
    pulse_vec[nlow] = dtu < 1000;
    ++nlow;
    do_work = 1; 
  }

void mloop() {
    unsigned long now = micros();
    if (do_work) {      // If there's work to do (set by handleIntr())
      do_work = 0;      // Reset the work flag
      last_work = now;  // Update the last work time to now
    } else {
      unsigned long dt = now - last_work;
      if (dt > 50000 && nlow == 40) {
        if(memcmp(p, pulse_vec, sizeof p) != 0) newdata = true;
        memcpy(p, pulse_vec, sizeof p);
      }  
    }    
  }
1 Like

I did try to power mine using a dc buck converter from the wall panel but I ended up getting a horrible low pitch wine noise from the converter I assumed it was from the data pulse sent on the main voltage wire. Tried a few different converters with the same result so end up just powering the esp from an external power source. Let me know if you have any luck at all.

I just went with the 5V power supply in the end. I have the ESP32 fitted in a small enclosure and tucked away in my mini network server cabinet so a separate supply wasn’t an issue.

What is an issue though, is temperature. It seems the BC584 transistor is extremely sensitive to temperature change and this in turns affects the voltage levels of the buttons. I set all my levels with the ESP32 on the bench. After fitting to my enclosure, which is around 40deg, my zone 8 button started turn on zone 7, then after a few more minutes zone 6 and finally after a few more minutes zone 5! I took the ESP32 out of the enclosure and the reverse happened.Obviously all other buttons were affected too but these buttons provide the clearest evidence on what is happening given their sequential values.

MV_ZONE5 = 740, // 650mV
MV_ZONE6 = 729, // 840mV
MV_ZONE7 = 719, //1000mV
MV_ZONE8 = 710, // 1160mV

I will recalibrate my buttons with the ESP32 in the enclosure but I can see this being an issue as we go through winter/summer/winter. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? I did read further up that someone had to calibrate their buttons multiple times. I may have to look at temperature compensation.