Add group.all_* with AppDaemon

Add Domain Group (group.all_<domain>s)

hacs_badge
Group All app for AppDaemon.

Adds a domain group to Home Assistant. The added domain groups will have the name group.all_<domain>s. e.g. if the domain light is specified, group.all_lights will be created.

With the legacy configuration, this will restore all hidden group.all_* groups that were removed in Home Assitant v0.104:

• group.all_automations
  • group.all_covers
  • group.all_devices
  • group.all_fans
  • group.all_lights
  • group.all_locks
  • group.all_plants
  • group.all_remotes
  • group.all_scripts
  • group.all_switches
  • group.all_vacuum_cleaners
  • group.calendar
  • group.remember_the_milk_accounts

Installation

Download the group_all directory from inside the apps directory to your local apps directory, then add the configuration to enable the hacs module.

Example App configuration

Legacy Configuration

# Creates all legacy groups.  All newly created entity_id's will be added to the correct legacy group.
groups:
  module: group_all
  class: GroupAll

Only all switches

# Creates group.all_switches, the group will update when a new switch is added to home assistant.
groups:
  domains: 
  - switch

Advanced

# Creates groups for all domains.
# Renames group.all_switches to group.switch_master
# Renames group.all_lights to group.light_master
# Any new entity_id that is created will be added to the correct group.
groups:
  domains: all
  track_new_entities: true
  group_config:
    switch:
      name: Switch Master
    light:
      name: Light Master
  log_level: INFO

App Configuration

key optional type default description
module False string group_all The module name of the app.
class False string GroupAll The name of the Class.
track_new_entities True bool true Dynamically adds new entity_idā€™s to the entity list of a domain group.
domains True 'all' | 'legacy' | list 'legacy' A list of domain names. 'all' will create all available domains at startup. 'legacy' will create all avialable legacy domains. Adding your own list will only create those domain groups.
group_config True map A map for domain names.
log_level True 'INFO' | 'DEBUG' 'INFO' Switches log level.

Domain Map Configuration

key optional type default description
name False string Friendly Name of the created group.

EDIT

Version 1.1 is out. There are a few breaking changes. This should be easier to configure and itā€™s more optimized. Unfortunately, the trade off for better performance was to remove the ability to find new domains.

2 Likes

HI Petro,

though my legacy groups are created the AD log throws this:

2020-01-21 08:15:26.603265 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:26.604559 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Adding domain script., args: ('DEBUG',)
2020-01-21 08:15:26.652417 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:26.653732 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Updating group.all_scripts with 275 entities., args: ('DEBUG',)
2020-01-21 08:15:26.819863 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:26.821061 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Adding domain light., args: ('DEBUG',)
2020-01-21 08:15:26.854826 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:26.856060 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Updating group.all_lights with 98 entities., args: ('DEBUG',)
2020-01-21 08:15:26.902577 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:26.904107 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Adding domain switch., args: ('DEBUG',)
2020-01-21 08:15:26.932342 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:26.933974 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Updating group.all_switches with 75 entities., args: ('DEBUG',)
2020-01-21 08:15:26.974627 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:26.976150 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Adding domain automation., args: ('DEBUG',)
2020-01-21 08:15:27.020514 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:27.021675 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Updating group.all_automations with 208 entities., args: ('DEBUG',)
2020-01-21 08:15:27.092467 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:27.094044 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Adding domain device_tracker., args: ('DEBUG',)
2020-01-21 08:15:27.131735 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:27.133073 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Updating group.all_devices with 107 entities., args: ('DEBUG',)
2020-01-21 08:15:27.238837 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:27.240384 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Adding domain remote., args: ('DEBUG',)
2020-01-21 08:15:27.252379 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:27.253490 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Updating group.all_remotes with 5 entities., args: ('DEBUG',)
2020-01-21 08:15:27.280510 WARNING AppDaemon: Log formatting error - 'not all arguments converted during string formatting'
2020-01-21 08:15:27.282107 WARNING AppDaemon: message: (legacy entity_id tracking) Creating listen state handle., args: ('DEBUG',)

probably not a true issue, but nonethelessā€¦

btw for my AD learning purpose: why did you call this App ā€˜eventsā€™? And not ā€˜group_allā€™ ? or is that simply a c&p remnant from another appā€¦

It hasnā€™t been updated for appdaemon 4. I believe logging changed, not entirely sure, Iā€™ll look into and post a change. I havenā€™t updated to AD4, when that happens, Iā€™ll make official builds.

Iā€™m not sure why logging was changed. It apparently needs some extra single argument? Not entirely sure. Docā€™s donā€™t mention the required argument but all the examples do.

@ReneTode care to comment?

Is this a valid log line?

self.log('foo', level='DEBUG')

if not, why? EDIT: Nevermind.

change line 175

self.log(f"({tracking} tracking) {msg.capitalize()}", self._level)

to

self.log(f"({tracking} tracking) {msg.capitalize()}", level=self._level)

Correct, reverted to Ad3 and all log errors were gone

you already found out it is :wink:
yeah keyword for level is now required, more in the line from regular logging.

great that you created this app.
but i would only listen for the selected domains. that will reduce the amount of callbacks quite a bit.

Couldnā€™t find out how to do that with the documentation. I wanted to do that. Whatā€™s the call?

EDIT: Namespace seems like it was integrations, not domain.

self.listen_state(self.cb, ā€œdomainā€)

entity ( str , optional ) ā€“ name of an entity or device type. If just a device type is provided, e.g., light, or binary_sensor. listen_state() will subscribe to state changes of all devices of that type. If a fully qualified entity_id is provided, listen_state() will listen for state changes for just that entity.

namespace is something else.
in general is a namespace a collection from entities and events.

everything from HA is in 1 namespace (if not set in the plugin settings it is default and doesnt need to be provided)
every plugin has 1 or more namespace, and you can use AD internal namespaces.

Ah yes, but you canā€™t feed it a list of domains to track. So Iā€™d need to make n listeners with less callbacks or 1 listener with n callbacks. Not sure which one is less taxing.

the difference wouldnt be great when you got all possible groups (allthoug sensors were not grouped, so if someone has a lot of sensors, it would be a great difference too)

but for sure if someone only uses 1 domain, the difference would be significant.
and you could also create the option that the group is only created once, and not updated. (make use of ONESHOT)

Iā€™ve been running this a few days on all, the performance hit is non existent. I think youā€™re over estimating how many resources the callback is actually using. Itā€™s 2 if statements that require almost no computing power. The only ā€˜taxingā€™ manipulation that happens is the string split.

How does appdaemons core work? Iā€™ve never bothered looking into it. Does each callback register a new thread? Most apps* keep the callback in the same thread. And if thatā€™s the case, then creating more listeners would be worse for the system then having less callbacks. Typically more threads = more cpu tax.

EDIT: By apps i mean applications. Not referring to appdeamon apps.

callbacks from an app are all in 1 thread.
so you use 1 app, so 1 thread.

and believe me, with a very busy system, you want to reduce the amount of callbacks.
but take a look at the admin interface. you will see the amount of callbacks your system has. i think it opens your eyes about how busy you keep the system if you listen for every state change.

thats why i also suggested the oneshot option. groups would only be build on startup, without the cost of extra cpu.

my system is already up to 100.000 callbacks a day. if i add your app as is, i would probably double that easy.

if you just add 1 listener for each domain it would also be possible to create 1 app for each domain.
using 1 thread for each domain. which would reduce the risk of building up a queue on very busy systems.

Ah ok, so the callbacks from all listeners go into a queue?

If you turn on the dynamic updating. You can turn that off so it only updates on startup:

events:
  track_new_domains: none
  track_new_entities: false

Know the thread count makes a difference. Iā€™ll swap the domain listeners. That wonā€™t be too difficult.

There still isnā€™t a better way for finding new domains. Maybe an event gets created when new items are added. Iā€™ll play around and see if thatā€™s the case.

i dont see you using any constraints, or oneshot option.
so it only updates once, but still generates callbacks for every state change.

im not sure, but i believe there is an event for new entities.
but it would make your app more complicated, because then you need to take care of 2 type of events (startup/reload and entity added)

i dont know if that would be worth the trouble, but for complicated systems it would make a difference.

Nope, it does not create the callback listener:

if track_domains != OPTION_NONE or self._track_entities:
            # Listener to create new everything on state changes.
            self.applog("creating listen state handle.")
            self.handle = self.listen_state(self.track_new_items)

It wouldnā€™t take much effort. Itā€™s registering for an event vrs listening to all state changes. I built the app to be easily modifiable because I knew these conversations would likely happen.

ah, ok. i missed that you left out the listen_state and called the add_group from initialise directly.
i would have chosen to create the groups on the first state change, i think.

just trying to give you info to optimise, because ts an app that has a chance to be used by quite a few people. :wink:

and i really appreciate your efford!

Yeah, Iā€™m going to optimize it. I was under the impression that listeners were in their own threads. Iā€™ve tailored most of my apps this way.

Edit: Plus I need to update the one log line to use the kwarg level. So Iā€™m going to do it in optimizing/fixing in one shot.

Where is this admin interface? I asked you before about the move from HACS to that interface but I realized that I donā€™t know what interface you are referring to.