Added Tuya smart plugs - where is the energy monitoring?

I went through the major fuck around of making the correct login for homeassistant for these and now all I have is the ability to turn them on and off.

How do I get HASS to see the energy monitoring? Using HAOS on an RPi.

1 Like

What version of HA are you using? Energy monitoring sensors were only added in version 2021.11.0.

I’m not sure that the Tuya integration supports this. There is a list of supported device categories here

Yeah I don’t believe the Tuya integration supports things like energy monitoring at this stage. If you can flash them to Tasmota you can then record the energy usage.

Tuya
HA core-2021.11.3

2 Likes

Didn’t realise it was a new addition, heard people using it for centuries. Updated and they appear now, not sure if they work yet but that’s progress!

1 Like

Hi! Did you get this working? Can you see statistics of consumption kWh? Which device are you using? :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks!

1 Like

If anybody else is wondering I purchased Deltaco smart outdoor plug SH-OP01. It measures Power, Current and Voltage but the most important Consumption kWh isn’t measured which I personally think is a big loss.

Personally i use TPlink kasa (go down occasionally but have the best energy consumption stats) or tapo switches, both of which are well supported in HA, and Salus zigbee switches (never go down once).

Not sure the tuya app even supports energy readings. But yes from what i understand the new tuya integration is only getting up to speed with the old one, and that is mainly due to the work from HA programmers.

That’s doable, also with Tuya. Problem is just that the Tuya integration does not deliver the cumulated power consumption, but only the momentary power, current and voltage. Luckily, this can easily be added using the “Integration - Riemann-Summen…” integration (sorry, all in German in my case):

In the next step you select the “Power” sensor of the socket, give it a name and some optional parameters:

And there you go - it’s showing up in the list of devices in the Energy Dashboard configuration:

Note that in my case I found that for my Tuya-based sockets the ootb values for voltage and power have some scaling issues (factor 0.1), which is why I created an additional “…_leistung” sensor that fixes this. If you need this correction, too, add something like this to your configuration.yaml:

template:
  - sensor:
      - name: 3D Drucker Leistung
        state: >
          {{ states('sensor.3d_drucker_power')|float(0) * 0.1 }}
        unit_of_measurement: W
        device_class: power
        icon: mdi:flash
  - sensor:
      - name: 3D Drucker Spannung
        state: >
          {{ states('sensor.3d_drucker_voltage')|float(0) * 0.1 }}
        unit_of_measurement: V
        device_class: current
        icon: mdi:sine-wave

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

7 Likes

sensor.yaml

- platform: template
    sensors:        
      ac_lacaltuyawatt:
        value_template: "{{ state_attr('switch.ac_tuya_local', 'current_consumption' ) | float | round (2) *0.1}}" 
        friendly_name: "AC Tuya local Watt"
        unit_of_measurement: "W" 
        device_class: energy     
        unique_id: aclacaltuyawatt

- platform: integration
    source: sensor.ac_lacaltuyawatt
    name: Tuya local kWh
    unit_prefix: k
    round: 2
    unique_id: tuyalocalkwh

Hi krskrab,

I don’t have a switch for the tuya energy plug :(.
i think i have to stick to the solution of Tobse?

Hi I would really need the power statistics in my HA project, but somehow I cannot see the details of my Tuya smart plug with power consumption details in my HA devices overview. Anyone can see what I am doing wrong? Should I upgrade to a certain version HA?

I cant really flash these plugs as I am using them in other automations (ie homebridge for example)

devices tab in HA:

Example statistics in Tuya Smart Life APP:

I am on Synology so cant easily upgrade to any other version. info tab HA:

Home Assistant 2021.9.7

Path to configuration.yaml: /volume1/@appdata/homeassistant/config

Frontend version: 20210830.0 - latest

System Health

Version core-2021.9.7
Installation Type Home Assistant Core
Development false
Supervisor false
Docker false
User sc-homeassistant
Virtual Environment true
Python Version 3.8.13
Operating System Family Linux
Operating System Version 3.10.108
CPU Architecture armv7l
Timezone UTC

Home Assistant Cloud

Logged In false
Reach Certificate Server ok
Reach Authentication Server ok
Reach Home Assistant Cloud ok

Lovelace

Dashboards 2
Resources 0
Views 2
Mode storage

For whatever reason, for most (not all, interestingly) of my Tuya-connected sockets, the power entities were initially deactivated. Maybe that’s the case for you, too? Just go to the Home Assistant entities list (/config/entities) and change the filter so you also see deactivated entities. If the ones in question appear now, just activate them and go ahead.

14 Likes

Am only known to tuyalocal and there you can select the individual sensor-attributes when setting it up
But… there are many more entries on the same topic with tuya devices, tuyalocal may not work too.

how exactly to setup sum helper?

with setup like this:

1. does not appear in energy dashboard settings until I restart HA
  2. even after that does not show any actual values in energy dashboard - always 0, but I can see that socket does have power readings in home assistant history

I had similar issues - not always, interestingly, but it seems it just takes some time, because it probably needs a certain amount/timespan of statistics to show meaningful values. That’s at leas my guess :-). Did you check again a couple of hours later? Still nothing shown?

1 Like

I did and the values are now showing, but the helper sensors with other interval then 1 hour do not show.
So 1 hour, left, kilo prefix seems to be best way how to set it up. I still don’t understand left right trapezoid difference Riemann sum - Wikipedia
I’m running test today with the 3 helper sensors sensors for the same thing set up as left, right and trapezoid

Good to hear. To be honest, I did not fiddle around with all these settings. So, for me it’s also 1 hour and kilo (I think). The left, right, trapezoid is mathematical stuff. I can recommend looking into the wikipedia article Riemann sum - Wikipedia. Try NOT to read and understand :smiley: but look at the graphs on the right side when you scroll down. They give you a simple explanation also for why “trapezoid” is the most precise approximation for the most use cases.

2 Likes