Aeon home energy monitor

Quick question … I recently added an Aeon home energy monitor to my Z-wave network and Home Assistant. The Z-wave controller I am using is an AEON gen5. It seems to work fine except the only time it updates is if I restart hass. Am I missing something?

+1

I bought this sensor too, not expecting it to work perfectly but also not expecting it to work how it is…

The Watt and kWh readings show up as individual devices in the row of circles at the top of the landing page and don’t refresh.

Can someone point me to a component that would be a good starting place for implementing support for a generic zwave energy monitor? The manual that came with the sensor says it supports the Meter and Multilevel Sensor zwave command classes.

Version .13 added polling and I think it has fixed my issue. Below is a snippet from my config.

zwave:
usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
config_path: /usr/local/share/python-openzwave/config
polling_interval: 10000
customize:
sensor.aeon_labs_home_energy_meter_energy_3:
polling_intensity: 1

I own both a Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter and an Aeon Labs Smart Energy Switch. I was having difficulty getting either to report regularly until I tried the polling_intensity: 1 trick. That fixed it for the Switch but not the HEM.

Digging around, I found this thread which mentioned changing some parameters. I set parameter 101 to 6 (report information) and 111 to 10 (frequency, in seconds). I tried that via the OpenZWave Control Panel but had no luck with the device taking the configuration. OZWCP would send the configuration command but the device would not show any updates.

Finally, I updated the firmware. You can find the most recent firmware for the HEM at http://aeotec.com/z-wave-home-energy-measure/1262-hem-firmware.html. They have different versions of the firmware depending on which device, region, number of clamps, etc. I updated my v1 HEM to the [US frequency 200A firmware].

I then removed the device from my network and reattached it…and…voilà, it worked! I believe the firmware update is what was key here and not the configuration changes, but those may be needed as well.

Good luck!

Hi, I don’t see the AEON Home Energy monitor listed as an Energy component… how do I add it in the configuration file? Could you please share all the relevant sections from your configuration?

Also - will the AEON Labs DSB9104-ZWUS Smart Energy Meter work the same way?

Thanks a bunch!

Naren

Do anyone use HEM with Vera as a controller?

It shows up as various sensors.

1 Like

BTW this is a working firmware link…
for 3.61, 3.64 and 3.67
peace

1 Like

I know this is an old topic… but I do. I was running a really old firmware on my HEM g1 and I just moved to 3.67 and now, I am getting negative numbers in Vera… Any chance anyone has seen this?

Negative numbers would be power going out to the grid in the case one has solar panels, OR you have the clamps upside down.

Thanks… Turns out after upgrading I needed to re-pair the device… Thanks

1 Like

How do I upgrade or change settings on the HEM unit?
The Zwave settings page dont show any of my units in the drop down menu.

Where is the config for the units if that doesnt work.

I have all zwave units working, I just cant access them…

Sometimes refreshing the page helps. Other times you have to restart Home Assistant.

Does anyone have any updated information for using this with Z-Wave JS? I’ve tried setting parameters 101 and 111 for reporting via Developer Tools, but HA still doesn’t regularly update the data from the HEM.

If I manually initiate a refresh of data from the Developer Tools, it refreshes just fine, so I know it’s able to get the data. I just need help getting it to do automatic refreshes at determined intervals (5 min is what I tried to set).

What do you have parameter 101 set to?

I’ve tried multiple values, but right now I have it set to 6912 for parameter 101 and 30 for parameter 111 (while testing – 300 later when it’s working properly). The entities my HEM gen1 gives me seem to be for power and energy for clamps 1 and 2 separately, so I would think this would get me those values reported every 30 seconds, but that doesn’t seem to be working.

I was able to set an automation that uses the call service to specifically refresh these entities every X minutes and then I made 2 sensors that add those power and energy values together for clamps 1 and 2 so I can see the total for each.

This works, but I don’t know if it’s ideal to manually refresh each of those values separately like that every 5 minutes versus it refreshing them automatically without 4 separate pings from HA.

This isn’t required, the meter has this as a report.

The refreshing shouldn’t be needed. Do you see any reports in the zwavejs2mqtt logs from that node?

I didn’t install zwavejs2mqtt, just the Z-Wave JS integration and supervisor add-on, which apparently prevents me from running zwavejs2mqtt (Z-Wave JS: Cannot get zwavejs2mqtt control panel to connect - #8 by nappyjim).

Is there information I can provide from the regular Z-Wave JS integration without zwavejs2mqtt that would be helpful, or do I need to find a way to get fix this (apparently by getting rid of the supervisor add-on and reinstalling the integration after installing zwavejs2mqtt)? If I can do that without wiping out my ~40 Z-wave devices I’ve already connected, I can do that.

Hello,
Does anyone of you have negative readings recently ?
I have 3 phase ZW095 and nobody touched it for 1y everything worked ok.
However maybe 2 - 3 weeks ago I’ve started receiving negative values.
I have no clue what might happen or how to troubleshoot it.

It sounds like the counter rolled over, reset the Meter via:

service: zwave_js.reset_meter