Aeotec MultiSensor 6 Configuration

I am sorry to seemingly keep beating a horse (he’s not quite dead yet), but I am seriously trying to figure this out. And perhaps because I know it works in both Vera and SmartThings I just cannot get it figured out in HA.

When I set up the MultiSensor 6 in HA, I noticed that when motion was detected, it would trigger what I wanted to trigger, however, instead of indicating motion, it simply had a value that changed for the Burglar/Motion. For motion, it would change from 0 to 8 and for tampering it would change from 0 to 3. If there was motion detected and then tampering was detected it would change from 8 to 3 and vice versa for tampering then motion.

With the help of another member here in a post I made, I was able to get an automation set up to used those numerical values. All was good until I moved the device around, simulating being tampered with. My automation was based on the value going from 0 to 8 then back to 0. For some reason, when the value goes from 0 to 8, the automation is triggered, but if the device is tampered with, changing the value from 8 to 3, and then when the timeout occurs, 3 to 0, it does not turn off switch I have set up to be triggered upon detecting motion.

So I did some testing today. I went into OZCP. There, I can see the sensor state change from off to on when motion is detected, even though it is not being reflected on the frontend of HA. So I triggered the motion sensor, thus changing the sensors state from off to on. Then I restarted HA. You can see that it picks up the change at least as noted by 001-T.

Then, I triggered the other motion sensor (002-T) just to show that it does not change the sensor state from off to on on the front end but does give the burglar indication:

So then I triggered the first sensor from the front end

As you can see, with the burglar value changing from 0 8 it triggers Switch 001-T to the on state and when it goes back to 0, as long as there is no tampering, it will turn the switch off.

I’m not sure what I need to do here. I had no issues with this in Vera or SmartThings and never had to go into any Zwave Control Panel to get it to indicate a sensor state change from off to on and back. I don’t mind doing so in HA, but I don’t understand why that indication is not showing up in HA or why it is not reporting when triggered.

I have scoured the manual for this device and even downloaded a more detailed configuration manual and there is absolutely nothing to be found about sensor state reporting. I know when I trigger the sensor in the OZWCP it changes stated from off to on instantly.

While I am at it, I am assuming that the Ultraviolet sensor does not work in HA? If not that is not a big deal either, just curious. I am more focused on getting the sensor state issue fixed.

Did you change in Open Z-Wave Control Panel the “Command options” from “Basic Set (default)” to “Binary Sensor Report”?

@kirichkov I tried that, but it wont save the change. I click the dropdown to select binary report and before I can save it, there is some kind of automatic refresh that happens and it puts it back to basic report. Even when I seemingly have been able to hit the refresh button to commit the changes, it resets it back to basic report.

I fighting some of the same issues. I can not seem to change command options, and I am also curious what changing them does. Thanks for any additional details on this.

Your numerical values are fine, but you need to ensure that the automation flipping the switch off is activated when it transitions to zero from any value. Not sure how your automation is setup, but if you have something like from: 8 to:0 simply remove the from statement in the HA automation config.

Use HA to change the config from “Basic Set (default)” to “Binary Sensor Report” and then wake up the remote note, see this example:

Takes a few goes to wake up the device

how do you get that configuration to show up? if i click on my multisensor and then on Configuration nothing shows up? it is a Gen 5

Did you pair it securely or just the normal pairing process.

normal pairing. took the stick out, pushed the button and then pushed the button on the sensor

Okay, the first thing you want to do is unpair it then re-pair it securely. To do this, press the action button on the Z-Wave stick once so that it is flashing the blue color. Then, you want to press the action button on the MultiSensor 6 twice quickly, like within one second. The LED on the front of the sensor should flash blue if it pairs securely. I think it flashes green for a non-secure pairing.

It will work with it paired non-securely, but you dont get some of the other sensors or something like that as I recall.

whoa!! all sorts of nerd knobs to turn now!

Should i do the same with the door/window sensors?

Yes, if they are the Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 6, they too can be added securely as well. There’s not anything extra that comes with the Door/Window sensors when they are paired securely, but my thoughts are if I can pair securely, then do so.

1 Like

How do I do this?

Thank you very much for your help!

I am thinking maybe something like this? not sure on the parameter value:

{ “node_id”: “8”, “parameter”: “??”, “value”: “2” }

looking at my xml file:

—>Node id=“8”<— From the section for the ZW100
—>value = 2<— from the available values

<Value type="list" genre="config" instance="1" index="5" label="Command Options" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="1" max="2" vindex="0" size="1">
					<Help>Which commands to send when PIR motion sensor triggered OZW Ideal Value is Binary Sensor Report</Help>
					<Item label="Basic Set (default) " value="1" />
					<Item label="Binary Sensor Report" value="2" />
1 Like

You’re on the right path, just watch the parameter number to use as it can cause HA to crash…

cool, i think it is done!

1 Like

Great, which parameter did you try? 5?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.vesternet.com/downloads/dl/file/id/764/product/1545/z_wave_aeon_labs_multisensor_6_gen5.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjW5ovz7pPRAhVXOFAKHSU_DA8QFghGMAI&usg=AFQjCNF1ZUrSublxhIW1q2qi92GhoTFrlg&sig2=M3juLwQfsfIeRJdmsSdiQg

Yup, looks like it went through looking at the log

1 Like

Ok cool, I had to “wake up” the aeotec devices by pressing the button for three seconds to make sure the config was received