Airtouch 5 Integration (Aus)

Having said it was all good - nothing changed after I turned the aircon on this evening - temperatures and damper positions did not update?

I re-loaded the integration and all the values updated.

• and they seem to be updating as expected since the reload
  • and the “lack of control” problem seems to have been solved by the reload as well !

All seems good after the reload - Hopefully things remain as they are :grinning:

1 Like

Glad you got it sorted, hopefully everything works ok for you. Let me know if there’s any other problems.

Everything seems to be going ok for my system after the console update too.

Not a HA question, but I’m sure Smitco knows the answer…

I upgraded my panel to v1.2.1, and I had a quick read of the release notes on the panel before I did so. I thought I saw something about a “defrost warning” to be displayed in the panel - and thought “oh, that will be interesting”.

However, this morning, (quite cold), the system paused twice to defrost the outside unit, but I never saw anything new on the panel indicating a “defrost pause”.

Maybe I misinterpreted the release notes ??

@TheNoctambulist - quick question, is it possible to pass in an external (non Airtouch) temperature sensor into the integration? We are doing a reno and I have a ton of existing Mijia temperature sensors and was going to use those for the upgraded AirTouch system.

Unfortunately not. The AirTouch temperature sensors use a different interface than the public API. There’s no way to inject temperature information into the AirTouch controller via the API.

You would need to use something like the Generic Thermostat or a set of automations if you want to control damper only zones from a seperate temperature sensor.

I read about someone setting up automations for intelligent damper control in the AirTouch 4 thread, so I think it’s been done before (or at least attempted!).

I see i was tagged in this! i can probably explain a bit more about what i have going on.

I got a bunch of Aqara Zigbee Temp sensors around the house. These, generic toggles and generic sliders control the min / max temperature as well as the on / off for each room.

this is all plugged together using Node-Red scripting.

Currently ( and for the past year or so), it all is just pretty basic stuff, when cooling, if greater than max, cool down, if less than min turn off, and vice versa for heating.

I also have it turn on / off fans as well to help the air movement.

I would like to switch it to PID, but havent had the time / effort to do that.

The Airtouch sensors do more than just turn zones on or off and they also control the position of the damper motors.

The temperature sensors are used to decide when the outdoor needs to start and stop, the Airtouch picks data from different sensors at different times to decide this also and you can’t really automate this with node red, the Airtouch is talking to the system itself.

Would be loosing a lot of system control by not using Airtouch sensors and automating what you can with node red.

is airtouch 5 local or cloud based? is it the recommeded smart ducted system for home assistant would you say?

Out of any options available the Airtouch is by far the best control for a ducted system currently regardless of what it does with home assistant. (If the system is installed and setup properly)

Have tried and used them all.

The AirTouch integrations are local. They connect directly to the AirTouch console installed in your home.

In my experience the AirTouch 5 with ITCs for each zone has been great.

1 Like

thanks for that and also is there an aircon brand that works best with it?

They work with a lot of brands these days, the only ones I find a little funny are Mitsubishi electric and Actron.

It will work with them but as those manufacturers don’t allow the Airtouch to control them in the same way as other brands do (via wall controller terminals) they have to do it in a different way which is sometimes not ideal with some installations.
It’s hard to explain, they will work though.

The standard old Daikins, Panasonic, Fujitsu, MHI, Samsung etc are all fine.

I have an Air Touch 5 ducted system and am trying to add it to Home Assist. I am new to Home Assist so don’t really know what I am doing!

It asks for the node name or IP address for Air Touch 5 but when I logon to my router, there is no device with a name like Air Touch present. I tried some of the IP addresses without success. The air Touch 5 console says that it is connected to the WiFi and I can use it on my phone.

Note: Home Assist was unable to detect it automatically.

Am I missing something?

Check the IP address on the Airtouch device itself. It’s just Android, you can find the IP address quite easily. Even googling “how to find IP address Android” will get you there.

Can devices register their name into the DHCP server? Yes. Many do. Does the Airtouch 5 console do that? No, it doesn’t.

OK so I deciced to do the process on the Airtouch console, here’s how to do it.

• Swipe down from the top of the screen so you see the WiFi icon on the top left
  • Press and hold the WiFi icon until the screen changes
  • When the name of your WiFi network appears, press the gear icon on the right side of the screen
  • Scroll down and press on the word “Advanced”
  • Scroll down to see the IP address

Hopefully the instructions above get you connected. Otherwise, you can also find the IP address in the AirTouch app on your phone by clicking on the cog in the top right and choosing “Help”. The IP address on that screen is the one you need to enter into Home Assistant.

The auto discovery feature is only implemented in the custom HACS integration, so if you are using the built-in integration it always needs a manually entered IP address.

1 Like

Fabulous, that worked a treat. I was looking in the Air Touch screen to find the IP address, rather than in the Android system. Thankyou

The air Touch5 Integration system is so cool! I have been pouring over graphs and have a much better idea how it works and its short comings. Even implemented a couple of automations!

Of course you always need more, and wondered if there is any way that you can retrieve:

• % baffle open on each zone

• Fan speed in duct

• Power level of external compressor system

• If in Defrost mode

• Outside temperature

If you use the custom integration, damper open percentage for each zone is available as a sensor. See the README for details.

The defrost status is a very recent feature and not officially part of the API, however I think it would be possible to reverse engineer where the status is published in the interface.

The selected fan speed is available as an attribute on the main AC climate entities, but there is no information for any actual fan speed measurement or per zone information.

Unfortunately the AirTouch doesn’t measure or report power consumption (I doubt it is available from the ACs themselves), you will need to add a separate power consumption monitor to get that information.

Similar with the outside temperature.

Thanks for that. I will need time to do it since I am very new to this.

Regarding power consumption and fan speed, I have assumed that the Air Touch control unit decides what level the External unit operates at and what speed the duct fan runs at and sends a signal to the external unit and the fan accordingly. It would be useful if the Air Touch Control displayed these values and made them available to Home Assist.

With the defrost status, I saw it mentioned in the notes for the latest version of the control unit, but can’t see it anywhere. Does anyone know where it is visible on the Air Touch control unit, or does it only show up when actually in defrost mode.

The outside temperature is shown on the Air Touch Console on the Main Unit display, so I assume you should be able to be pass it to Home Assist. I presume Air Touch would need to make it available in the API but have not done so yet… or I am incorrect in understanding how this all works