Happened to me. And I tried many different options, in the end the only way for me to get it working was to create a 2FA code on my phone.
In case you do not know how to do this, these are the steps I followed:
- Add an “Authenticator” app in you phone. There are many options, I use LastPass Authenticator because I rely heavily on LastPass for other things. But there is also Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, etc etc.
- Go to amazon.com and navigate to Account --> Login & Security. At the bottom there should be an option that says “Two-Step Verification (2SV)Settings” select that one.
- In the 2SV settings page select “Add new app”
- Open the app on your phone and scan the barcode or manually enter it
- Verify the OTP with your phone
- I believe you might need to add a backup method (phone number)
Try again, this time, the confirmation popup when setting up should ask you for a 2fa code instead of an email or sms.
Hopefully this works for you too