Announcement: HADashboard v2 Beta3!

Cool :slight_smile: I am actually bulding my Server Self-Made Rack. So I will be occupied also the next weeks . But looking forward hearing some news then :slight_smile:

Any ideas I can lauch dashboard with this and all is well cd /home/pi/appdaemon_dashboard/appdaemon && python3 -m appdaemon.appdaemon -c ./conf through a ssh session but when I close putty The scripts I have stop working also cant turn on lights but cameras still update through a still image urlā€¦How could closing putty effect anything?

I have also tried seperating the cd and python3 still the same effect

Kinda seems like its disconnecting from home assistant

starting a putty session is the same as starting a terminal session.
if you start python in that session, it stops running as soon as you stop the session.

if you dont want to keep the session running, you should start the program as a process that is not connected to the session.

i dont know how to do that, because i dont work that way, but you would probably want appdaemon to start when your device starts, just like HA starts at that time.

I understand what you are saying I telnet to my equipment all the time on the side of the roadā€¦I can start the script with init 3 or 2 whatever and the process is running in the backgroundā€¦this seems to be running in the foregroundā€¦which when closing session closes script

How do you start yours?

in a terminal session on the RPI itself :wink:
i got a monitor, mouse and keyboard attached to it :wink:

Never did thatā€¦I am so used to running equipment headlessā€¦except for gui for end user

This is how its running now cannot get to a command prompt without break

if you are used to running headless you should know how to start processes that are not running in the monitorsession :wink:
just like you start HA. (which also could be started as a part of a putty session, but then closes with the session)

Not on piā€™sā€¦I use linux on roadside cards that run redhat and etcā€¦to start you would just ./blah and it would start serviceā€¦I am new to this but learningā€¦

at least you now have learned that the command you give isnt starting a service :wink:
but i am sorry i cant help you with that (mainly because i have no idea what you are takin about :wink: )

Thats allrightā€¦you answeredā€¦:)ā€¦maybe we both will learn from thisā€¦I am sure he has a way to start this as a service ā€¦I just hadnt found it

does python3 -m appdaemon.appdaemon -c ./conf work correctly if you change to the directory first and then run it?

RPI is pretty much the same as the different version of linux I have worked with.

If you have a timeout set on the terminal session then closing putty would allow the RPI to clean it up. Itā€™s the same with most linux distros. You might want to try it with an & on the end of the command so that it separates itself from the terminal session.

But Rene is right, the best way to do what it sounds like you are doing is to set it up as a service. The instructions for setting AD up to run when the system starts in the normal 1.5.2 release of AD seem to work ok with the dashboard as well.

This should do the trick:

Forgive my ignorance but what to do with this
I think I see where you are going

systemd is how you run things as a service. In order to setup HADashboard to run as a service, you need to use systemd. Without going into a lot of detail about how to use systemd, Iā€™ve provided the text that you will use in your /etc/systemd/system/hadashboard.service file, which launches the HADashboard as a service.

A little bit of an explanation on using systemd services is provided at:

And a little explanation of using systemd is provided at:

THANK YOU will look into friday out of town till friday morning. So this seems like init script runā€¦I probably will some questions buti am usually pretty decent once I can wrap my head around things once i understand the scope and process