Any info/experience with Ting Fire (Ting electric/electromagnetic) sensor?

Researching smart home insurance policy discounts and I ran across TingFire.com They have a partnership with State Farm insurance.

I’ve reached out to Ting, also thought I’d ask the community for input.
Anyone have experience with Ting company, or the Ting sensor?

I’m going to guess they dont provide access to the sensor data because of some super top secret, proprietary algorithm.

Thanks for any input!

3 Likes

There was a lot of chatter on Ting’s community board about an API but it does not look like it materialized ever but I can reach out to my contact there to find out: https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203757608-API-for-gathering-account-data-or-making-changes-?page=3#comments

Sadly, not the same Ting. THAT Ting is an internet service provider. This is a different company.

I too would like access to the TingFire data somehow. They don’t have a web interface so I haven’t been able to see if there’s a hacky way to do it the same way the app shows “realtime” data or something. I have used the Chrome developer tools in the past. If someone knows how to do something like that on Android (without root), I’d love to take a look.

With the net traffic sniffing I could do, it looks like the Android app uses the Amazon API Gateway via api.wskr.io, and signalr.api.wskr.io. The latter being the real-time interface, I believe. I’m not a programmer so I’m not sure where to go next, but Authentication seems like the first step (based on the result from the api link above). If there’s some kind of toolkit for poking at this, I’d love to continue but haven’t found anything.

1 Like

Anyone make any progress on this? State Farm sent me one of these, and I’d love to add it to my HA.

https://api.wskr.io/swagger shows all the API endpoints, but like Matt said without being able to authenticate it’s not very useful.

Looking to sign up for one of these. @reotto How has your experience been? Worth messing with?

1 Like

I enjoy it. It keeps my mind at ease. I have a pretty big home network, and draw more power than I like with it and other items in my house.

It is cool to be notified if we have a power outage, and to know that it is tracking voltage spikes, power spikes, etc.

I will say it is hypersensitive, not in a bad way. Where I live, we rarely lose power, but one day I had a loss of power indication and less than a second later it said it was back on. I went home with the expectation that I would have a bunch of items with their clocks blinking, but nothing was, and my wife said she didn’t notice anything.

I’d rather it error on the side of caution so I appreciated the notification. I have had it for about 5 months, and the only notification I have ever receied.

For me, my insurance company gave me one so I can’t complain to much.

I still wish I could get into the API and make it a dashboard in HA, but that seems to not be going anywhere so far.

1 Like

I’m new to HA and owner of a Ting Fire device. While searching for an interface I found this document on Whisker Labs site: Whisker Labs API Reference

Is this helpful in creating an interface?

The issue here mentioned is the authentication piece of the API. As @benvi mentioned, without valid authentication, the API is next to worthless.

" Users (Whisker Labs API Reference)

A Whisker Labs user is an individual who has access to the Whisker Labs API.

For the time-being, user creation is not supported by third-parties via the API. Please create users in the Whisker Labs data-plotter web application."

When you follow the second link to Whisker Labs data-plotter, it goes nowhere. Essentially the authentication is encrypted and as @mattster98 states, net sniffing could do the trick. The authentication is base64 so it’s not unheard of to crack these.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to find the API request the app is making to get the current voltage (via sniffing using Proxyman), but I can’t find it on the signalr.api.wskr.io or the api.wskr.io APIs. Has anyone had any luck getting the voltage data from either of these?

I received my TingFire last Friday and connected it. I also emailed whiskerlabs ( [email protected] ) and asked them about the HA integration and this was their response:
"…The Ting team has considered the development of a Smart Home API, and this item is on the list for consideration. Interest to date has not elevated the API to the top of the list yet.
We will let you know if and when we open up an API for Smart Home integrations. "

I advise people who are interested in this integration to send them an email - maybe we can move this up in the priority list and get it done. Nothing has happenned to this since 2022.

Thanks

2 Likes

I’ll reach out to them. In the meantime, I’m working on a self-hosted docker container that can expose a private API that can be integrated with the Home Assistant REST platform.

Since I can’t find how to make the SignalR request for Whisker, I’ll limit it to returning data like “is power quality hazardous”, “are there any hazards”, etc. As far as I know, the SignalR API seems to return the real-time voltage information.

EDIT: It’s located here. Instructions are in the README file. Please note that this is a very barebones implementation and that support for voltage readings, etc. will come after I am able to find more in the API.

2 Likes

This is great, thank you for putting it together!

Thank you for creating this! I’m stuck at the very beginning with trying to get the API key using Proxyman. I am using an Android device with the certificate installed. I can see ssl traffic for other sites, but when trying to use Ting, it gives me a connection error on the app with the code (TAPIDB). Any suggestions? I’m reading the app may use SSL pinning? Thanks in advance for any advice.

sub’d, just signed up with state farm and got a flyer for a ting device. a new shiny gadget to watch!!!

also sent them an email on the api access

UPDATE: After a lot more reviewing of the product, we decided to opt out for personal/privacy reasons. I’ll keep an eye out for this service in the future, but I feel like it should be more transparent and come with a more developed API to see what/why/how…etc pertaining to its operations.

This is awesome! Any updates on pulling in voltage data?

Also, I sent them an email requesting an API that can be used for HA. Every little bit helps…

I’ve been looking into their SignalR API (which is what they use for real-time voltage data), but it seems their app now uses SSL pinning or they have a way of blocking proxies. I’ll keep looking for ways to get information about the requests the app is making to their servers, but for now, I’m at a standstill.

1 Like

We just got offered the sensor and also thought we didn’t want the insurance companuy grooming data about us (or the power company). Do you happen to know what all it gathers and sends?

No clue. I returned mine instead of opening the box. It’s not for me